Boost psi at back of intake manifold? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost psi at back of intake manifold?

Just wondering if anyone has measured the boost at the end of an intake manifold versus the input ?at the turbo, at the intake and output of the intercooler?

All this fab work being done why not put a test port at the end to prove full psi is delivered to all intake ports? If there are such gains peeps claim with what is currently being done, I have to imagine there is more still out there.

I've seen this done with fuel and oil rails, with surprising enough results that caused folks to make modifications to better even flow.

I wonder? If a central fed H style intake would deliver more even flow. Or what about a common intake chamber, I can't picture that on a 6.0. Kinda what I've seen in a dodge gasser.

Also how does the stock or modded 6.0 intake runners compare to the intercooler piping volume. With regards to volume i meas cross sectional, like a larger pipe flowing into two smaller that equals the first larger.

Does the flow expand volume and slow down because the runners are bigger and have consumption or does the air speed up due to restriction?

This is very interesting to me because air is a compressable and this adds another twist on plumbing things. Especially since the air psi is relatively low 20-40psi with lots of volume/distance to travel versus say non compressable fuel at 60psi in a thin fuel line. I feel like some folks just cumminsate i mean compensate for all this by just shoving 50-100psi with big turbos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I could modify my GOGO covers to add a port for a sensor, but then I'd need the sensors for my Insight. I could then add a sensor to my intake elbow as well.

I don't think you would see the PSI readings you are expecting. Since EBP is post intake manifold that seems reasonable to compare those readings to the MAP or aftermarket sensor in the intake elbow.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

If I remember right, the Scan Gauge takes it's input from the MAP, which has a port on the right side about mid manifold. That being said, with my Scan Gauge hooked up AND my Auto Meter gauge in the elbow, they were both within a pound of each other.

I don't think either intake has anymore boost front to rear because it is, for all intent and purpose, a pressurized system. However, polished runners to have the advantage of smoother flow.

Have you ever port matched a gasser intake? It doesn't take much to show an improvement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

My stock gauge, Edge Insight, and Autometer in the Intake Elbow all read pretty much the same.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 AM

I am just questioning the science of the intake mods.

I have no doubt they work but exactly why could be the direction to improve upon.

Has any one ever dyno'd a rig with stock then modded intake same day? Varied set ups?
Has any one done real world psi monitoring at the ends of the runners to prove before and after gains?

Seat of pants and bench flows don't cut it.

I'd buy it if say you dyno'd your truck before more then once with another truck and both layed down consistant numbers, then one truck ran the modded intake with the other truck same day running as a control to the experiment to ensure consistantcy. When I hear some one say "i do not know, it feels stronger". I think of the placebo affect.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Okay. Send me the money and I'll dyno my GOGO then swap back in my stocker. The info will be yours exclusively to use. I'll sign any non-disclosure statement required.

If that's not reasonable then come for a ride with me and see what stock injectors feel like with airflow improvements.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashdog View Post
I am just questioning the science of the intake mods.

I have no doubt they work but exactly why could be the direction to improve upon.

Has any one ever dyno'd a rig with stock then modded intake same day? Varied set ups?
Has any one done real world psi monitoring at the ends of the runners to prove before and after gains?

Seat of pants and bench flows don't cut it.

I'd buy it if say you dyno'd your truck before more then once with another truck and both layed down consistant numbers, then one truck ran the modded intake with the other truck same day running as a control to the experiment to ensure consistantcy. When I hear some one say "i do not know, it feels stronger". I think of the placebo affect.
I believe that someone has done a stock intake vs a ported on on a dyno. Thinking it might have actually done with a go go intake. I know and I'm sure that others with a ported intake will tell you that they saw a decrease in egt about 100-200 degrees. That in itself is showning that the engine is running more efficiency. Weather it's gained air flow or back cyclinders are getting more air let engine run efficiency, the decrease in egt shows a difference.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM

First of I'm not doubting anything. Just want to see scientific proof, can't be that hard.

Second what ever gains have been made with the great effort put forth should be continued in the most efficient manner.

If some one has the capacity to step up, or already has, do so and create a sticky on the matter please.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Why does the last intake port need the same size runner as the first? That does not make sense to me!

In other words... The first intake port has it's flow and the next three flows flowing by the second has its and the next two and so on. Can't picture the last one getting its needs met as the loss increases and volume stays constant. So maybe a stepped down runner would be better. Hey maybe a giant runner with storage would be better.

I do not know.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think since this is a pressurized system you don't need a stepped down intake or anything like that. Its "forced induction" so its forcing as much air as possible into each port. The increase you see from porting an Intake will be from removing the blockages that cause turbulence and restrict flow. I could see the back cylinders getting a little less air but once the restrictions are removed I by porting I think that the air flow will be very close to all cylinders. The only way I see anyone making a much better flowing intake would be a tunnel ram style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.