Detroit Locker vs Detroit Truetrac - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Detroit Locker vs Detroit Truetrac

I am getting ready to put gears in my truck so I am thinking of putting a locker in too. I use it to tow a lot and I want better traction in the mountains, in sand and mud especially when yanking trailers around. It needs to work just as well in reverse as it would in drive. Which one would you recommend?

2003 F-250 CC 4x4 SB 6.0
Custom 03 Turbo, WPE Intake,
HD 97 Fan Clutch, MBRP Y Pipe,
Scangauge II Rancho 9000XL,
BFG 285/75 R16, Galaxy 94HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd look at the Yukon Grizzly Locker. Slightly cheaper than the Detroit with a MUCH better warranty.

With the Truetrac if you totally loose traction in one wheel you will not have any bias to transfer to the other wheel and you'll be dead in the water so to speak.

I'd do the locker, either the Yukon or the Detroit is you want to absolutely have power to both wheels no matter what.

Got questions about your 6.0?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still runninng Ford Gold Coolant?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ill add, with the trutrac even if one side is off the ground spinning all you have to do is tap the brake and that will engage the worm gears and lock it in to full posi.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much does it cost to haves locker installed, generally? I realized how much I want one of these while pulling a guy out of the river yesterday, haha.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
TruTrac. Without a question. If you did more four wheeling than driving on pavement, I'd say the Detroit Locker.

Truckless
Bulletproof Diesel
KC Turbos

1-A Auto Parts
post #6 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
FWIW, most places advertise tru-trac for tires less than 35"...or that's what I have found but that's not etched in stone. I vote locker.

Shack

2016 F-350 CC Dually

2005 F250 CC FX4.SOLD
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a True Trac and I'm not that crazy about it. I'll spare you the details, but I wish now that I would have dropped the extra dough then and bought a Detroit Locker. The wheel base, width, and weight of our trucks eliminate a lot of the things normally associated with a locker. We have a Detroit Locker in a short bed half ton on 38s and it's fine on road.

Karl and his 2003 6.0

Barefoot Accelerator Pedal
TRICO Force wiper blades
Yellow Military Aircraft Valve Stem Caps
Offensive "Stick Family" Decal
Big Ol'Honkin 1 1/4" Shank Receiver Hitch

WHAT!?! I was trying to list stuff that everyone else
hasn't already listed for their truck!

post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had a Detroit locker in mine for about 7 years with no issues or complaints.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4, XLT, 4" dual Magnaflow, AFE intake, No Limit piping, spearco intercooler, water injection, ARP studs, hypemax o-ringed heads, SCT tuned by Innovative Diesel, tuned FICM, Hellman's sump, FASS, Fuelab, regulated return, 190/75 injectors, KC/MTW 68 w/.72ar, suncoast trans w/billet input, edge insight CS with dakota digital gauges, amsoil by-pass, BD exhaust manifolds
post #9 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
I ran a tru trac in my 02 F150 Screw with 38x14.50x15 and it did great. I will go tru trac again for sure.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Good info! I will look into the Yukon Grizzly Locker I did not know they made one. So are there any issues with running a locker with 10k loads on or offroad?

2003 F-250 CC 4x4 SB 6.0
Custom 03 Turbo, WPE Intake,
HD 97 Fan Clutch, MBRP Y Pipe,
Scangauge II Rancho 9000XL,
BFG 285/75 R16, Galaxy 94HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode