Hilly areas, towing every weekend need more power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hilly areas, towing every weekend need more power

Good Morning,

I've got a question here. I have an 05 dually 4.10 that is a manual and need to get more power out of 1st gear without having to go into low. (I hate shifting from low to first gear when on a hill stopped either for traffic or a light) Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the gambit of the bullet proofing procedure: Head Studs, EGR Delete, Blue Spring, New Oil Cooler, Exhaust, FICM, Fuel Pressure Regulator and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the response in 1st gear? I regularly tow 10k. I live in western PA and hills and sudden extremely steep grades are all over the place.

First picture is of the truck and trailer, 2nd picture is my son trying to drive it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-13_14-57-39_496.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	136882   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-08_17-00-08_200.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	136890  

OEM Gaskets | ARP Head Studs | Blue Spring | AFE Air Intake | Sinister EGR Delete | Amsoil Oil Bypass Filtration | 5" Exhaust | Pyro Meter | EGR Deleted | LiveWire w/ IDP Tow and Vivian's Looney. | SouthBend Double Disk Clutch

2003 Ford F350 SRW | 277,xxx Miles | EGR Deleted

34' Enclosed Cargo Trailer

www.emacstacticalshop.com My website [ARCHOIL, Bulk Ammunition, Body Armor, Medical Supplies, Long Term Food Storage]
post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you tried any tunes for some more power?? I would think a nice 50-60hp Tow Tune ought to help get you what you are looking for.

Nate
2006 F350 (BACKYARDIGAN) - 67mm Turbo, 215/85 injectors, WPE intake manifold, NB/Warren Trans, and more stuff that I don't care to mention....
2006 F250 (LITTLE DURTY) - WPE Manifold, Up-pipes, EGR delete kit, and Tuned By ME
BULLET PROOF DIESEL 1-888-967-6653
KC TUROS - Not just a modified Powermax...

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING
WWW.WPEDIESEL.COM

post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Have you tried any tunes for some more power?? I would think a nice 50-60hp Tow Tune ought to help get you what you are looking for.
I have not done this yet, however have been looking at the livewire

OEM Gaskets | ARP Head Studs | Blue Spring | AFE Air Intake | Sinister EGR Delete | Amsoil Oil Bypass Filtration | 5" Exhaust | Pyro Meter | EGR Deleted | LiveWire w/ IDP Tow and Vivian's Looney. | SouthBend Double Disk Clutch

www.emacstacticalshop.com My website [ARCHOIL, Bulk Ammunition, Body Armor, Medical Supplies, Long Term Food Storage]
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just got back from towing my new to me trailer to Oregon. I think I was close to 9k. I am running Matt's 8k tow tune. It did great and kept the EGTs under 1200 for most of the trip. That being said I do have an automatic so I don't know if it makes a difference with you having a manual trans.

2006 F250 8" inch Pro Comp, Top Gun Customz dual steering stabilizer, Bilstein 5125's, 4.30 gears Toyo MT 37's, Powermax, SCT X3 w/ Matt's 8k Tow tune, BPD 53 volt FICM, DC Power 185 alt, Superlift Truspeed, PMM coolant filter with Rotella ELC, Edge Insight CTS, MBRP 4", Line X'd bumpers, grille, and tonneau cover
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need something that will give you more torque from idle. I also have a 6 speed, but with 4.30s and I find myself starting in Low sometimes. That being said, maybe a ficm tune ( or a different one) or maybe even a 58v ficm. The dyno sheets I've seen on 58v ficms compared to 48v ones had moved the power curve to a lower rpm. All that being said, when I'm on a hill (from a full stop) I almost always start in low, just for my clutches sake
post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Just an input on a tune and egt's... I towed a 5th wheel 10,100 lbs dry with stock intake, delete pipes, and Innovative diesel STREET tune and my egt's never passed 1,400*F. auto trans.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i have read that the first gear in the manuals were geared to high before... I would not do an atlas 80 or atlas40 ficm tune because your stock exhaust will raise egts too much while towing... the ficm tuns burn fuel longer and have a warning in regards to towing and needing to monitor egts more.

sct tuner with a tow tune would be good start. and a higher flowing exhaust would help. I noticed after muffler delete my turbo spooled up quicker at lower rpms.

If you tow often an egt gauge or pyrometer often called would be a great tool but not much help with 1rst gear issue.

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, aem intake
-2006 f350 king ranch, aem intake, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes,

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 First 7.3 and BAREBONE stock

Interested in learning something new?

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pol...verse-day.html

Justin,
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have a pyro meter and keep my EGTs under 1100 when towing (sometimes takes a bit longer to get there, however it might be worth it in the life of the engine.)

post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would agree on the SCT and a decent tow tune to help you out. A free flowing exhaust can't hurt things either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode