which oil cooler and injectors for heavy towing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
which oil cooler and injectors for heavy towing?

Truck is an 05 F350 2wd drw and already has the common mods...exhaust, studs, tuner, etc... It also has a BD Thruster II non vgt turbo (not sure if that was the best choice but thats what its got). Anyway, just wondering if the BPD air to oil cooler is the best choice or worth the money? I tow a fairly heavy trailer (20000 lbs) across the country racing and want something dependable. Also thinking of upgrading the injectors at the same time. Thoughts suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can't go wrong with the Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler. I am very happy with how mine has performed. If that is too rich for your blood, just get a new OEM oil cooler and make sure you do a coolant flush and install a coolant filter. Flush before you replace the oil cooler.

For injectors, I would look at a set of 155s with either stock or small like 30% nozzles, since you tow heavy. I hear that thruster likes to have a little fuel thrown at at it, so 155s should get it moving a little quicker and still be small enough to keep temps down when towing.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was thinking of putting a set of 170s in. You think 155s are enough? Just want to have plenty of power when we get in the mountains.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What vehicle are you using to tow?

On edit - more accurately, what gears and tire size does your truck have?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

3.73 gears and 245/75 17
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think power will be an issue. I am more concerned about EGTs, especially in the mountains. With the smaller injectors, your EGTs wouldn't climb as fast when pulling up a grade or when you get to the higher altitudes where the air is thin.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
The Silent Service

EGTs, boost levels, and EBP have me concerned with what you are currently setup at, without getting into the overweight condition you find yourself in.

Do you know what size that turbo is you are running now? Not a huge fan of the non-VGTs with the 6.0L in a heavy towing configuration.

As for the injectors, since you find yourself in the high country, I'd stay toward 155/30s at the upper band maybe 155/50s. If you are willing to work on a dedicated towing file and want to push the powerband with your DD/Race file - 175/30-50s with a bit of fuel pulled would work well with the upgraded turbo.

I would invite you to read my build thread (link in sig). I go into why I've kept the OEM oil cooler to date, and you can make up your mind on the BPD external cooler.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed. Let me know how 175s and a 20k trailer works out. Most guys don't tow near that weight but give advice freely. BPD now sells a HD cooler for people hauling really big trailers, make sure to get that one.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Subscribed. Let me know how 175s and a 20k trailer works out. Most guys don't tow near that weight but give advice freely. BPD now sells a HD cooler for people hauling really big trailers, make sure to get that one.
Allow me to clearify that point, a considerable amount of tuning would be required pulling a lot of fuel out of 175s to make that a viable option (on edit: enough to put them in the 155cc performance range, or even closer to stock). Again, need to know the size of that turbo to see if it would even push enough air to make that work.

I agree, should you choose the BPD oil cooler, go with the HD one.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good points, also I truely don't have a recommendation, just subscribed for learning. I put 155/30s recently and then added a ATLAS 40 Ficm tune. Each bumped my EGTs up 100 degrees. I do tow a 18-20k trailer all the time, mostly around Vegas, but I'm doing a short tour at the pentagon and don't get to take the toys out. I have not pulled my big trailer since but the rise in EGTs do worry me. In my case I have had 2 tow tunes bulit, one mild and one safe that really pulls a lot of fuel, I could use if EGTs get bad. I could also drop the Ficm tune back to stock. I have a gogo intake and banks IC that help resist the EGTs. If you didn't have the intake manifold and/or IC, your EGTs will be that much higher. I haven't towed yet so I can't give you any advice, wish I could. Please follow up with what you go with and how it tows. For referance with stock sticks on tow tune, after gogo and banks, I could not get EGTs over 1250 ever. Now with current setup on my standard tow tune I can see 1450 if I drop the hammer. This is no trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.