190cc Injectors and ICP - Need your input - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
190cc Injectors and ICP - Need your input

If you had followed a few posts of mine I noticed I was dropping ICP as the EOT got up to operating temperature. I ended up changing out pretty much all of the HPO system and ended up with the same result. When cold I can get 4100 psi but when the oil is >195* the max sustained ICP is around 3000 psi.

There have been a number of posts by others, on a number of sites, saying they are seeing lower pressure and ICP volts, but often the result is masked by the tune and the monitor's capability. I want to quantify the issue to known voltage or pressure drop with larger injectors. So, those with 190-225cc injectors running a max tune (2.7ms or close to it) please chime in with your observations. Mine are 190/50 and 186/75 open port injectors. They both drop ICP when the tune gets over about 2.2ms when warm. I am wondering if the open port and the 205ish stroke are robbing too much capacity from the HPOP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm in the same boat. Its been this way for me since I started monitoring ICP. When tuned after oil is up to temp my ICP will only read like 1520-1550 max...voltage will be low also. Talked to Eric at ID numerous times about my readings...and was told that what I'm seeing when tuned is perfectly normal. However before truck gets up to operating temp when tuned...ICP can go a lot alot higher. Again Eric told me this is normal cause as the oil heats up it will thin out. Now, when I turn the truck back to stock...ICP will get over 3600 no problem and I've seen voltage as high as 4.7. Mentioned the reading differences to Eric when tuned and when stock and again was told that its normal for what I'm seeing. And getting the ICP pressure reading right from my ICP sensor. My injectors are 190/75's from Full Force. I plan on doing some stuff to the truck this next spring...and one thing will be having the hpop system checked over just to rule out any leakage.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
While I haven't actually monitored or checked my ICP pressure or voltage, I have to say that if you are seeing a drop in ICP when warm, then that to me means that you are either getting slip by in your HPOP and/or your HPOP is too weak for the task of supplying your injectors. I could see the possible tuning thing skewing the ICP reading but that would be across the board. That would not be the reason why you read 4100 psi at 180F and 3300 psi at 200F. It's like reading LPO pressure. Everytime I start my truck, I see oil pressure around 75 psi but the oil is at like 75F too, but when I get up to my operating temp of 209F, I see 52-55psi. The oil is thick when it is cold so the resistance created when trying to increase flow, jacks pressure up in comparison to when it is cold.

This is why I am wanting to put a dual HPOP setup on my truck and I don't have any real plans to go bigger than my 190/100s. Adrian has the dual HPOP setup on his and he is seeing 4.9v of ICP at WOT and hot.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM

Subscribed because I plan on getting 190/100 injectors

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 AM

Just out of curiousity, what oil are you guys running?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Amsoil 5w40
Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM

Either 5w40 amsoil or valvoline
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM

So are you guys thinking that maybe a heavier weight oil will help hold ICP?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Chris/Frank...have either of you tuned your trucks back to stock and measured the readings from cold to hot and compared the tuned readings? I was always under the impression the tune writers fudge the icp for whatever readings???
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
Chris/Frank...have either of you tuned your trucks back to stock and measured the readings from cold to hot and compared the tuned readings? I was always under the impression the tune writers fudge the icp for whatever readings???
Yes I have I mentioned that in my post. Under stock tuning my ICP pressure and voltage readings are normal. Eric told me that everything reads the way it does when tuned is because of the tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.