Looking at a 6.0.. a little nervous - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 6.0.. a little nervous

I am looking to buy a 6.0 2005 lariat power stroke. It has high miles but is a mint truck. The stealership wants 17k for it, but it has 170,000 miles on it. I have been looking for one for a while it has everything that I want. I am a picky buyer, I was looking for a black lariat truck, 4 door, short box with a 6.0. This one has me a bit nervous because of the miles, but otherwise is exactly what i was looking for. Although the miles are high it has been well taken care of, its spotless for its age.

Anyway, I want to get it and add an sct programmer, it looks like it already has an exhaust. If I add a programmer and just use the economy tune, is there anyway they can tell if it was tuned? can I just revert it back? It comes with a 100k 4 year warranty and if adding a few more mpg to it will void my warranty, I guess its staying stock.

Why dont they make a thin spacer that goes in between the exhaust pipe and the egr cooler to block it off? seems like they would be the easiest way to block it off and keep it for inspection purposes. Then I could just throw a sct on it to disable the egr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you can do way better for way less money. think like the same truck 140k miles for 14 or 15k warranties seem rather worthless if you cant do the truck up like you please.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea, I checked the KBB and it looks like private party was only 14k. I am going to try to work them a little on he price. If they will do 15 they would save me money for head studs later on.

I honestly wanted a cummins, but turns out you cant touch them for the same money and I like the ford truck itself better.

Do you know if the 05 f350 has independent or sold front? I have read both.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Solid axle
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

all F250s and 350s have solid front axles only chevys have independent front suspension. the question you are trying to ask me i assume is does it have leaf springs in the front or coil springs. the answer is coil springs 04 and older is leaf springs and 05 and new has coil springs. dont buy a truck from a dealer if they wont make the price right honestly you could probably do better from a private seller anyways because then you can actually ask questions about the truck like whats been done what needs to be done and you can get accurate answers. then take the truck from the private seller in for an inspection. and when your shopping for a 6.0 bring a monitor to check a few things. read the 6.0 stickies in the 6.0 section on buying a 6.0
Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

All super duty trucks have solid front axles. You can do much better on the price. Just remember to keep a little extra in the savings in case you run into the known problems. Or look for a truck with studs and EGR delete and a solid repair history.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Talk them down in price for sure. If they won't budge, don't get it.

As far as knowing if it was tuned previously, I don't think there is a way of knowing.

Your idea of putting a block off plate between the up pipe and egr cooler, sounds like a good idea. Except, if it does fail even with said block off plate, it can still leak coolant into the intake, which is the real problem. People do weld plugs into both ends of the cooler, thus not allowing coolant to leak out.

As said previously, check out the buying a 6.0 section. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
all F250s and 350s have solid front axles only chevys have independent front suspension. the question you are trying to ask me i assume is does it have leaf springs in the front or coil springs. the answer is coil springs 04 and older is leaf springs and 05 and new has coil springs. dont buy a truck from a dealer if they wont make the price right honestly you could probably do better from a private seller anyways because then you can actually ask questions about the truck like whats been done what needs to be done and you can get accurate answers. then take the truck from the private seller in for an inspection. and when your shopping for a 6.0 bring a monitor to check a few things. read the 6.0 stickies in the 6.0 section on buying a 6.0
Ok thanks! Thats exactly what I meant.

What would you say a 170k babied 2005 is worth? I have to know where to start haggling. I'm pretty good at working dealers on price. My last car I bought I haggled them over 1 dollar on my monthly payment. I told them right off the line what I wanted, talked them down 3k then they handed me paper work and it was 1 dollar over so I made them send it back and knock a few more bills off my price, it sounds ridiculous, but my point was clear.

I have watched about a million videos on the PSD. I am pretty sure what to look for, I just want to make sure If I do get this one and happen to tune it that I could roll it back in case the egr or oil cooler fails.

Tell them you'll take it for 10k. Negotiate a bit, but settle for no more than 12. Tell em it's called the troubled 6.owe for a reason, you'll have to do 10k of work to make it worth near 17k, etc.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
The Silent Service

Take a look specifically at the threads on the 6.0L in my sig. 17K is very high in my opinion. Don't buy someones problem truck, which this may be just that (traded in on something else).

Also, don't buy into any third-party warranty with the 6.0L. The core issues aren't going to be covered without some form of song and dance in 90% of the cases, and you will not be able to correct the issues and enjoy the truck without worrying about voiding something out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.