FAN CLUTCH QUESTIONS..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FAN CLUTCH QUESTIONS.....

First off hope everybody had a great 4th of July.
Ive got a nagging issue with what I think is my fan clutch. Under heavy load while the fan is engaged I have a loud squealing coming from the fan area. I say this because the volume and pitch changes as the volume of the air from the fan goes up and down. (as the fan rpm changes) This squeal to me sounds like possible metal to metal trying to lock up?? The fan does come on and does work,but with a squeal. And this bugs me.....
So here is the questions-
1) what might you think this squeal is?
2) when a fan clutch fails does it fail into a free spinning (neutral) or does it go into a always on no matter if needed or not.
3)Im guessing that the "special package" fan clutch for the ambulance or camper package is the heavy duty. But is it needed. And fyi no Im not hauling a 40k lbs 5th wheel across Airizona in August with a heavy head wind. Its mostly a D/D that hauls my bumper pull around and a load of horse hay a few times a year. And when you figure the special package clutch is twice the price, the Dorman 622-002 @ $138 looks pretty good....(partsgeek.com)
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

I might be the belt tensioner. I just had studs put on mine. I put in new tensioner, idler pulleys, snow plow clutch and belt as a preventive maintenance while it was apart.
You are welcome to my standard clutch if you like. It was running fine when replaced. I got the snow plow from dieselfiltersonline $258.00 .

A side note. Temps are more where I like to see them. Only used the fan switch twice on recent trip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr06psd View Post
I might be the belt tensioner. I just had studs put on mine. I put in new tensioner, idler pulleys, snow plow clutch and belt as a preventive maintenance while it was apart.
You are welcome to my standard clutch if you like. It was running fine when replaced. I got the snow plow from dieselfiltersonline $258.00 .

A side note. Temps are more where I like to see them. Only used the fan switch twice on recent trip.

I gotta say your awesome! This is the second time you have had extra parts and your "WELCOME" mat out......
Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Hey you were one of the guys that made a offer of help when I was passing threw your town and I don't forget that stuff.

Like I said your welcome to all those parts if you want. I had no noise on my tensioner when it was pulled off so I believe the spring is good. There is a thread that lists the part numbers to replace the bearings on the idlers and tensioner. I'll send you the goodies and you can replace bearings and save some coin. I would recommend getting a OEM clutch though.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Well I appreciate it. But while I got ya Ill let me ask you, can you monitor the fan cycle %? with the edge? Im lookin but don't see it.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:33 PM

I guess the first thing I need to know is what would a healthy fan do. With mine, I can move it back and forth (while not running) and it does have drag. Then upon start up it kicks in with the motor. When I flip the manual control I can hear it come on harder. So I assume this is the duty cycle.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Might not be the fan clutch. I had my fan clutch fail on me a long time ago. When it fails you aren't able to start the truck. When mine went...I had to have it towed to the dealer where by buddy works. He unplugged the fan and truck started right up. Guess its some sort of safety thing...that if the electric fan clutch fails...it doesn't allow you to start the truck... this way you won't risk the chance of it overheating.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM

well heck that's good to know right there....
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

I can't see fan % with my old style edge insight but I can with ae. I never heard my clutch running at start up or running until one of two conditions. Driving under 45 mph and coolant temp hit 208 fan would come on loud for a few seconds or I turn on manual switch. My truck still acts the same with plow clutch however all temps are lower at all speeds so it is moving more air at all speeds.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah I was going out to my truck one morning to go to work...went to start the truck and ait didn't even crank....just nothing. That was weird cause it acted like the batteries were deader than dead, but I new they weren't. Tried it again and still nothing...I was totally stumped and couldn't figure out what was going on. If I knew that's all I had to do to start it I would've just in plugged it. Really wouldn't have been worried about it over hearing cause work was only 10 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.