Why mulitple power levels? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why mulitple power levels?

Now that I think about it (here lies my problem - I thought...)

What is the purpose of having multiple levels available. I was just browsing the Quadzilla website - looked at their basic 65hp module - then down the page it said it is adjustable with 3 settings - a 20hp (why ), a 40 and a 65 hp setting.

My reasoning is better mileage. Then why not go for a 120hp setting only or a 65 for that matter?

I have been told over and over again that the more you tune a diesel for more power - economy is a side-effect. Tune them more and make them more economical. So why not just drive around all day on a top HP setting?

See what happens when I start thinking about something!

Seriously - I'm sure there is some consideration given to limiting high EGT's - but all that asside - assuming egt's are limited - the increase is for mileage whether commutting or towing (or rice burning if thats your thing) - why have multiple settings?

And what benefit will you actually see if you drive 56mph with a 40hp tune over a 65hp tune over a 120hp tune? Does all the different tunes really matter with mileage.

Sorry for the long post - just got to thinking you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Addicted to Diesel

Send a message via AIM to cowboyupamrka Send a message via Yahoo to cowboyupamrka
I know i want different settings for towing and for playing because too high of a HP tune then too high EGT's towing, and most likely too high boost. other than that i am not sure, plus with custom tunes you can affect the shift points for different tunes also to make the drive and power range better for different options. hope this helps a little. i know i didnt answer all the questions but i honestly dont know what the difference is in HP at the same speed other than more fuel and usually better atomization of the fuel when there is more.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM

A 60 hp tune is a good towing tune. BTW XtremeStreet i only get 17mpg.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM

What makes it a good towing tune? Why not run that tune all the time? Or for that matter - why not run a hotter tune all the time?

Why have different tunes? Why not just run a 120hp tune all the time. When you want the power - you got it - when you want the economy - just stay out of it?

Going back to original post - the Quadzilla 65hp box - just a straight 65hp. why have the option of lesser tunes - what good would they do?

I understand if your sled pulling or regurally race ricers - or have a track truck - you might want a hot tune specifically for that purpose - fine.

But what about the standard guy that commutes daily in his PSD that on occasion tows 10,000 pounds on a weekend trip? What about that guy (me) that doesnt need all the different looney, wildman, extreme rocket boosters tunes? What about the guy that just wants really the best mileage he can get with a tune that will meet his occasional tow needs and not suck his tank dry?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
What makes it a good towing tune? Why not run that tune all the time? Or for that matter - why not run a hotter tune all the time?

Why have different tunes? Why not just run a 120hp tune all the time. When you want the power - you got it - when you want the economy - just stay out of it?

Going back to original post - the Quadzilla 65hp box - just a straight 65hp. why have the option of lesser tunes - what good would they do?

I understand if your sled pulling or regurally race ricers - or have a track truck - you might want a hot tune specifically for that purpose - fine.

But what about the standard guy that commutes daily in his PSD that on occasion tows 10,000 pounds on a weekend trip? What about that guy (me) that doesnt need all the different looney, wildman, extreme rocket boosters tunes? What about the guy that just wants really the best mileage he can get with a tune that will meet his occasional tow needs and not suck his tank dry?
A lot of people run high hp tunes daily for that reason, you can play when you want, and if you want better mileage all you have to do is drive normal. The only time your really need to change tunes would be if you are towing something. I am the same way I just run one tune all the time. I change tunes maybe once every 2 months.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 AM

Hi,

Most people will find one file that they like and run that file all the time. It could be an economy, tow, street, performance or anything in between tune.

We, for instance, have different settings for different applications.

Our economy is designed for stop and go traffic where it reduces turbo lag.
Our tow of course is for pulling and plows.
Our street is for highway driving and is very economical on long trips.
Our Looney is a city file/show-off file/race file and track file depending on the level of power.

Then we have a street smoke for people who want to play and a transmission only that serves to be used with another programmer at zero power level, for the gauges or to tow very heavy.

As far as which is more economical, that is for you and your truck to decide.
That's the beauty of custom tuning that you can more or less, get what you are looking for with just a tweak

Thanks,
Vivian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.