Looking to buy a Used EDGE Evolution Programmer... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gitnmybelly Send a message via Skype™ to gitnmybelly
Looking to buy a Used EDGE Evolution Programmer...

... should i be worried?

I dont have many upgrades.

-banks ram air filter
-banks high ram
-egr delete
-warren rebuilt inj

i did have a banks 6gun but it took a crap on me so i trashed it.

your input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Most guys here are going to tell you how terrible the evo is.

That said I have run my truck on the hot tune for extended periods of time and nothing has gone wrong that can be blamed on the tuner.

I don't suggest a used one, you may get an old one that would be detrimental to your transmission. You want the newest revision possible. I bought mine from thoroughbred diesel for $340.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to gitnmybelly Send a message via Skype™ to gitnmybelly
Thanks. yeah I have been skimming the forum and no one really talks too much about Edge, but everyone says good things SCT. I may have to go that route since my truck 6.0L hasnt been bullet proofed
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM
The Silent Service

Its not so much the bullet-proofing that the SCT shines over the Edge Evo (or any shift on the fly tuner), its the transmission tuning that takes place before you start the truck.

Without de-railing your thread I'll leave it at that. If you would like more info, or have questions, let me know.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Its not so much the bullet-proofing that the SCT shines over the Edge Evo (or any shift on the fly tuner), its the transmission tuning that takes place before you start the truck.

Without de-railing your thread I'll leave it at that. If you would like more info, or have questions, let me know.
The new edge doesn't shift on the fly. The amount of misinformation on this subject is astonishing.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowmace View Post
The new edge doesn't shift on the fly. The amount of misinformation on this subject is astonishing.
This thread was started about the Edge Evolution, being purchased used - now Edges new handheld.
Here's the page from Edge where there Evolution is in fact SOTF:
Edge Products| Product

Yes I see a new EvoHT on their website, which does appear to tune the transmission. However, I have seen little press on that tuner. Its going through CARB compliance testing (so unlocking true potential of these trucks won't be through this tuner (Good Luck deleting the EGR valve/cooler, and not popping a CEL with these).

Edge Products| Product

Now there is a new tuner, you only get files from Edge, and they are working on CARB compliance. You will get better results with an SCT handsdown, and you have a multitude of great tuners out there who can adjust that file to your liking.

There is too many differences between each year of the 6.0L, and each strategy for a tuner like these Edges to run smoothly on every truck out there.

Last edited by colo_dually; 07-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 AM

The edge hand held looks like its on the same platform as the Afe scorcher. I have an older edge that I bought used. I run it on my F450 with a 6 speed manual so trans tuning is handled by my right arm. I weigh 13, 800lbs everyday and have been running it on my "extreme" tune for the past 20, 000km with no problems, with no studs. I know a quite a few people who run tuned trucks with no studs and haven't blown head gaskets. It seems like if these trucks have the EGR delete done, the heads hold a lot better
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The older style edge evolution does not shift on the fly. Attached is an image of the tuner that I am referring to.
These also do not cause damage to the transmissions and yes they will tune the TCM also.

however the newer CS and CTS... well...
they are great for monitors!!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a Used EDGE Evolution Programmer...-gryphon_2004-2008_blue.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
The older style edge evolution does not shift on the fly. Attached is an image of the tuner that I am referring to.
These also do not cause damage to the transmissions and yes they will tune the TCM also.

however the newer CS and CTS... well...
they are great for monitors!!
Thats what is on my dash, and I'll post this video again proving the transmission does get tuned.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowmace View Post
Thats what is on my dash, and I'll post this video again proving the transmission does get tuned.
That's the first time I've seen that, I'll take a look further into what is actually getting manipulated in the TCM file with the older units.

I'll post up if I find anything.

UPDATE: The Evolution, though it shows it does program the TCM, does not do so in the manner that the SCT does. The Evolution was known for adjusting shift points, and trans. fluid pressures in its files. And I'll leave it at that. Each owner can decide for themselves if that is sufficient, for me there is more to it than that.

Last edited by colo_dually; 07-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.