Mod stock vgt to 68mm review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mod stock vgt to 68mm review

Well... I am always messing with something on my truck and I was shopping around for a new vgt turbo. I was running the MTW stage 1 and it was just a little too smokey for me. It ran great, pulled hard, spooled quick (i have nothing but good things to say about MTW) but I didnt want to have to pull fuel to compensate for the turbo being over fueled.

I tried searching around, I did not want to go with non-vgt, I wanted bolt on, I thought the stage 3 was too big, hybrid was not enough gain over stage 1, and I was on a budget.

Well after searching I found someone that can mod a stock housing to fit a 68mm compressor wheel. I was doubtful at first but after talking with him i told him to go ahead and make me one. I got the turbo last Thursday and I have been driving it around since and I wanted to post my review.

The Good:
This thing pulls hard and definitely takes advantage of the 175cc/stock nozzle injectors. My truck would smoke like a freight train before but now on a full race tune it clears up the smoke to just a slight haze. My EGTs are down significantly. Sometime I have to be careful with my tune (extreme X) because if I accidentally hit the lights switch area of the throttle the truck really takes off and makes me press the pedal even harder making me go faster. I got my first speeding ticket in 5 years this weekend while playing around with my new turbo.

The Bad:
There is a slight bit of turbo lag... I would not call it laggy at all but the stage 1 spooled SUPER fast. With my driving habbits I don't even notice it very much, but if I try I can tell it has a little bit more lag than MTW stage 1. Also if i roll into the throttle very slowly to make sure the truck does not down shift (lugging the motor on purpose) i get turbo surge. I never get surge when getting on it hard and/or with normal driving. I did not even get any surge for the first few days until I tried testing out all of the different scenarios for the turbo. Right now I am just running my MTW stage 1 tune. I am sure once i get my tune from Eric at IDP that I will not have any problem

One thought that I have is how the 13 blade turbine affects the turbo. I know a couple of people (mostly RCD) offer a 68mm powermax with the 10 blade turbine but this build uses the stock turbine (for my truck that was the 04 13 blade)...

Also I have read fears of the large compressor wheel causing premature failure on the shaft/bearings. I guess only time will tell.

So far I am super impressed but I have only put a couple hundred miles on it. I am taking a week off work and heading to vegas with the wife so I will see how it does on a long trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome. Thanks for the review!!!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How much did it cost?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
How much did it cost?
Ya and where was it done out ta curiosity?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
How much did it cost?

Well I don't want to go too much into the company or price because he is not a supporting member/vendor here on powerstroke.org and this was a review thread not a sales thread ( mods please don't ban me )

But just talking in general... I searched a lot on the internet and found a couple of different options for this turbo upgrade ranging from 900-1800 (depending on the vendor and if you supplied the core or not) I bought mine more near the bottom of that range and I supplied the core
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Got any pics?? Sounds like it is working out great.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

no pics yet... I was too excited to put it in. Not much to see... except for a big cast compressor wheel

On that note... windrunner does MTW sell a single plane billet 68mm wheel upgrade?

Also please excuse my ignorance if this sounds like a stupid question, are all 68mm wheels created equally, or in other words would any 68mm vgt compressor wheel fit my turbo? I know the duramax guys have a few different options for billet wheels but I would love to get a billet single plane just like in my MTW stage 1

Last edited by peixinho; 07-01-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

I got ya man. Well I know Danville sells a 6x6 billet wheel made by bullseye that will fit and I know of some other places that sell a 6x6 wheel that will fit.

I am not certain whether our billet wheel will work or not in your turbo. I say this because we have not been able to bore out a Stock turbo compressor housing large enough to accept a 68mm wheel. We keep cutting through the shoulder on the inside of the compressor cover. So this leads me to believe that our wheel may have a slightly different shape to it than the wheel you're using. We've done the measurements and if you one is able to cut a stock housing to accept a 68mm wheel without cutting through, then the material must be really thin.

Hope this makes sense man.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

thanks for the informative reply

A couple more questions:

Is the pmax housing bigger than the stock housing (is that why they accept the 68mm easier)?

Is your 68mm wheel single blade and billet? Could you send me a price through PM?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

The Pmax housing, while the same A/R (or space inside the turbo), has a significant amount of more material than the 04-07 stock turbo compressor housings do. It is also actually a different shape to it inside than the stock turbo compressor housings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.