VGT or NON-VGT?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
VGT or NON-VGT??

Hey guys as you know I am starting to plan out my next build for my truck. I am stuck on trying to figure out the air side of things.

My plans are to run a set of 215/75's along with a full billet trans and custom fuel system but I just can't figure out what I want to do for air supply.

So far I haven't decided what to do if I decide to go with a VGT over a NON-VGT. If I go VGT seeing as the size of the injectors I will be running I am thinking about a Stage 4 from Adrian. That said that is a WHOLE LOTTA CHEDDA for one of those bad boys and I am already going to be breaking the bank for my next build as it is. Go big or go home right?

As far as NON-VGT goes I am thinking of trying out a new EFR 9180 (UBER-EXPENSIVE as well but a lot cheaper than a Stage 4 turbo for turbo). That said I know I would need a lot of custom piping and gate the up pipes as well as go from stock up pipes to T4 divided/gated as well as change the hot side piping to the intercooler. I have also thought about doing a 67/83/1.10 T4. Thoughts?

Looking to try to break 700-750 at the wheels out of this setup if all the stars align.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That large of a turbo would take a bit to spool compared to the stage 4, wouldn't it? If so, I would want to go with the Stage 4 it was gonna be a DD.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

That's the beauty behind the EFR series turbos from BW. They are supposed to be super fast spooling and light off a lot quicker than other non-vgt turbos. They also are relatively small for compressor wheel but flow WAY more than other similarly sized turbos.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

depends on your driving styles. I can drive mine around with zero smoke on the street with a box 66. I'd look into a 467 fmw with the .90 t4 housing. the 1.10 is going to be laggy. I know of a few places that have tweaked non vgt's that are awesome n the street with good tuning, better than box turbos.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Banned

Thanks Greg. This is actually one thread I was hoping you would chime in on lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:57 PM

It really comes down to the tuning and converter you choose. and how much power youre looking to make. If you want to fully clean up 215cc worth of fuel with a 75% nozzle and can maintain good injection pressure, youre going to want at least a 66mm inducer, but a 66/73/91 is pretty mcuh maxed out at 650 without a gate. If you can afford to drop the coin on the efr, do it, theyre sweet chargers, Ive thought about picking one up
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM

I have the 8374 and it does very good. Maybe 5% or less more lag than a pmax/ stock injector truck. I can also drive no smoke, but if I just gun it, the dodges tuck their tails from the fog. My first tune was for a 366 .83 and it ran just fine.

If you pursue this route, I would strongly suggest opening the heads up. I really believe that's why mine works as good as it does. Headers I would think are optional because the 6.4's use our manifolds. Apples to oranges, but you get the idea.

Or just lay a 362/480 under there and not worry about it.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish1247 View Post
I have the 8374 and it does very good. Maybe 5% or less more lag than a pmax/ stock injector truck. I can also drive no smoke, but if I just gun it, the dodges tuck their tails from the fog. My first tune was for a 366 .83 and it ran just fine.

If you pursue this route, I would strongly suggest opening the heads up. I really believe that's why mine works as good as it does. Headers I would think are optional because the 6.4's use our manifolds. Apples to oranges, but you get the idea.

Or just lay a 362/480 under there and not worry about it.
what size is the 8374? and you're still running the 190/75's with it? how much hp you think you have out of your setup?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM

62.68mm comp. I mic'd it. 74mm turbine. My setup maxes at 44 psi and that's where I set the gate to start opening. Until then bp runs about 1.07/1, then creeps up around 1.7/1. If I'm going by what bw says, it's not worth pushing any harder, and interpreting it right. The truck just pulls very hard, around 2200 rpm is where it seems to just get stupid, sweet spot I guess.

I don't have a clue how much power it makes. But I can say that my injectors seem to be the limit for it. The wot smoke is a visible but light haze, if that makes sense. It does run a hell of a lot faster than before. I thought the .92 turbine would be pretty bad, but it does very well. I can pull out and stay ahead of traffic with no smoke and 55 in od, it just lugs itself out with very light haze. So nothing embarrassing or would annoy anyone.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM

I've been contemplating this non Vgt route also.

One ?
What would spool better. 362 FMW with the stock 68 turbine wheel and .83 duel entry housing Or the efr turbo 8374.

The efr has a bigger ex wheel and bigger housing. But the wheel is lighter and is a BB cartrige.

The 362 has same compressor as the efr turbo and is a lot more affordable.
Just thinking if the efr is worth the extra money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.