dual plane vs single plane wheel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dual plane vs single plane wheel

So I've searched but I can't seem to find a clear answer for my question. So far I've read that a single plane flows more 'down low' and dual is more efficient "up high". So using a billet replacement for the stock turbo, where is "down low" and where is "up high" in the rpm? Are there flow charts around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
2003 Dual Plane MTW Billet Wheel Review.

This might give you some answers...
Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
While a different turbo my single planed Pmax pulls hard across the whole RPM band. I would expect the same for a stock turbo. Without any testing data to show the real values it's hard to say what you will really experience.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have yet to see where a dual plane wheel will flow more than a single plane on a 6.0. Or where a single plane wheel runs out of air in comparison to a dual plane wheel on a 6.0. I can see this possibly becoming an issue if the motor was spun to say 5000+ rpms, but with our 0-4000 rpm motors, the single plane wheel will flow more air every time in comparison to the 6x6, 12 blade dual plane wheels, and about the same amount of air as a 7x7, 14 blade dual plane wheel.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

Unfortunately there really is no clean cut answer to which is better, the drive pressures are also different so that needs to be considered also. The single plane wheel requires more drive pressure a then the dual plane wheel at certain RPMs. At higher rpms the turbine needs to be driven harder on a single plane vs the dual since the blades are taking bigger bites of air. It all comes down to which one is best for the combination and use you want out of your truck. Since there is limited amount of flow numbers out there between the two and the ones there are, between the single 11 blade and 6x6 dual. I haven't found any flow numbers on the 7x7 wheels, but I would have to guess it flow very close if not better to the 11 blade. I'm still in process of making a flow bench to test out wheels, and turbos, but flow numbers are just a measuring tool, real world use depending on combination is different.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Here's a clear answer, I replaced a cast dual plane with a billet MTW dual plane, boost comes on faster, initial throttle response is better (even with an IDP FICM tune), WFO EGTs are lower, and while I am not 100% sure, it looks like my mpg actually went up with this mod.

I always told my friends that I didn't want a big, high boost turbo, I just wanted it to come in sooner. Ask and ye shall receive.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Now here's another question for you guys; is a stock turbo with a billet wheel capable of 500hp? A buddy recently dyno'd at 447hp with only a tune so I can't see it being unobtainable with some supporting mods but I'd like some educated views on this
Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's a long shot...MAYBE..but don't think it could happen unless you spend some serious time tweaking tuning on a dyno. Some past reports gave tuning alone credit upwards of 470HP. Don't make any bets.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am going to replace my batmowheel,with a dual plane MTW wheel this week.i will report my results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.