Removing powermax compressor wheel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Removing powermax compressor wheel?

I'm trying to remove the wheel off the powermax I just got but the exhaust side nut is completely round so I'm not sure how to get it off. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 CC SB 6.0
4 Inch Turbo back Exhaust
S&B Intake
Sct with Vivians looney wild tune.
Egr Delete
Arp Head studs and oem gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Often those bolt heads are ground away for balance. You may be able to grind a 6 point socket so the bevel inside the socket is a nice sharp edge, and then it should get enough bite to work.

HTML Code:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 F250 4x4, 251,xxx hard miles, IPR egr delete and coolant filter, blue spring, billet wheel, 4" turbo back, Atlas 40, SCT Livewire, Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #3 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

That's what's weird it doesn't look ground away at all it's perfectly smooth and round.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 CC SB 6.0
4 Inch Turbo back Exhaust
S&B Intake
Sct with Vivians looney wild tune.
Egr Delete
Arp Head studs and oem gaskets.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 12:13 AM
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You will have to split the turbo to get ahold of the shaft so you can remove the compressor wheel.

l BRYAN l

COMPIGNTECH .COM

Look us up on Facebook
COMPRESSION IGNITION TECHNOLOGIES

l 2005 l Ford F250 l FTX l
[A Few Odds-N-Ends]

post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I used a BIG set of channel lock pliers and some foam. I wrapped the foam around the turbine side, gripped the foam, then got the compressor wheel off. Don't use a gorilla grip on the pliers. The compressor wheel is reverse threaded so set the ratchet as if you are tightening the compressor wheel. Mine was a bit tougher than I expected to come off so if you need a second set of hands get a friend to help.

Install the new wheel with a good snug of torque, it's not going to fly off during operation.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game
(In support of Zmann's request)

post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You will need to split the turbo. Put the turbo in a bench vise with the vise grabbing the center section at the spot where the VGT actuating mechanism is. Then split the turbo. Once the housing is off, grab the round part where a nut usually is with a pair of channel lock pliers and as mentioned, use a ratchet and socket (9/16") in the normal tightening direction and the wheel will loosen and come off. Put the new wheel on with a 5/8" socket in the loosening direction of the ratchet and the wheel will tighten back on. Once the wheel swap is done you can pull the turbo from the vise and put the turbine housing back on. If you can't remember how the unison ring goes on, just remember that the actuating slot is in line with the heat shield bung post that is closest to the turbine housing inlet. Hope this helps.

Nate
2006 F350 (BACKYARDIGAN) - 67mm Turbo, 215/85 injectors, WPE intake manifold, NB/Warren Trans, and more stuff that I don't care to mention....
2006 F250 (LITTLE DURTY) - WPE Manifold, Up-pipes, EGR delete kit, and Tuned By ME

BULLET PROOF DIESEL 1-888-967-6653
KC TUROS - Not just a modified Powermax...

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just clamped the turbine end of the shaft in my vice and turned the nut off the compressor, changed wheels and tightened it down. Heck of a lot easier than trying to hold it with a pair of channel locks IMO. Then just put it back together.

Got questions about your 6.0?

Still runninng Ford Gold Coolant?

The Following User Says Thank You to PGreenSVT For This Useful Post:
jrex2506 (07-24-2016)
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That'll work too.

Nate
2006 F350 (BACKYARDIGAN) - 67mm Turbo, 215/85 injectors, WPE intake manifold, NB/Warren Trans, and more stuff that I don't care to mention....
2006 F250 (LITTLE DURTY) - WPE Manifold, Up-pipes, EGR delete kit, and Tuned By ME

BULLET PROOF DIESEL 1-888-967-6653
KC TUROS - Not just a modified Powermax...

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING

post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I just clamped the turbine end of the shaft in my vice and turned the nut off the compressor, changed wheels and tightened it down. Heck of a lot easier than trying to hold it with a pair of channel locks IMO. Then just put it back together.
That's what I did with mine.

2003 F350 6.0L KR CCLB DRW 4x4 auto - bone stock
Edge insight, EAS EGT, turbo timer
Strategys, DAX0-1;TEC0-7
Ford Pilot injection

2005 F250 6.0L XLT CCLB 4x4 auto
Strategys, UPV1;URV0;CYH0-7
PowerMax-KTS 11 blade SP Billet
ARP studs, BPD EGR cooler, 04 uppipe
Banks intercooler system, Airaid Dropin
4" turbo back Magnaflow exhaust w/4" DP
Edge insight, EAS EGT, turbo timer
SCT 3015
ID custom tunes
ID Pilot-Injection
ID FICM tune
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 AM

Powermax turbines and 03 turbines don't have a 7/8 nut like the 13 blade turbines, they where made without the nut casting. There are right way of doing things and then there are ways of doing things to get it done. Getting vise grips in the turbine section and holding will work most of the time, spilting the turbo will work all the time but you need to pay attention on how the unsion ring lined up to get it back together, you could also get a 3/16 brass punch and put it inbetween the turbine blades so it stop the turbine from spinning and get the compressor wheel off. Be careful not to damage the turbine wheel whichever way you decide to go.

2004 F250 Ext.cab fabtech 5.5" lift,and traction bars 35" on 18".2005-2007 grill and LED headlights,58v FICM, Warren dual HPOP system, fuel reg. return system, areo 1000a fuel pump, dual fuel filters, ARP studded heads, CCV reroute, EGR delete, 225/75 Warren injectors, water/meth injection (cooling mist),SCT tuner with customs, banks intercooler. MTW stage 4 turbo, built trans by Andy Warren, 4:10 Detroit lockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode