Removing powermax compressor wheel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Removing powermax compressor wheel?

I'm trying to remove the wheel off the powermax I just got but the exhaust side nut is completely round so I'm not sure how to get it off. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Often those bolt heads are ground away for balance. You may be able to grind a 6 point socket so the bevel inside the socket is a nice sharp edge, and then it should get enough bite to work.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 PM

That's what's weird it doesn't look ground away at all it's perfectly smooth and round.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You will have to split the turbo to get ahold of the shaft so you can remove the compressor wheel.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I used a BIG set of channel lock pliers and some foam. I wrapped the foam around the turbine side, gripped the foam, then got the compressor wheel off. Don't use a gorilla grip on the pliers. The compressor wheel is reverse threaded so set the ratchet as if you are tightening the compressor wheel. Mine was a bit tougher than I expected to come off so if you need a second set of hands get a friend to help.

Install the new wheel with a good snug of torque, it's not going to fly off during operation.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

You will need to split the turbo. Put the turbo in a bench vise with the vise grabbing the center section at the spot where the VGT actuating mechanism is. Then split the turbo. Once the housing is off, grab the round part where a nut usually is with a pair of channel lock pliers and as mentioned, use a ratchet and socket (9/16") in the normal tightening direction and the wheel will loosen and come off. Put the new wheel on with a 5/8" socket in the loosening direction of the ratchet and the wheel will tighten back on. Once the wheel swap is done you can pull the turbo from the vise and put the turbine housing back on. If you can't remember how the unison ring goes on, just remember that the actuating slot is in line with the heat shield bung post that is closest to the turbine housing inlet. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just clamped the turbine end of the shaft in my vice and turned the nut off the compressor, changed wheels and tightened it down. Heck of a lot easier than trying to hold it with a pair of channel locks IMO. Then just put it back together.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

That'll work too.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I just clamped the turbine end of the shaft in my vice and turned the nut off the compressor, changed wheels and tightened it down. Heck of a lot easier than trying to hold it with a pair of channel locks IMO. Then just put it back together.
That's what I did with mine.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Powermax turbines and 03 turbines don't have a 7/8 nut like the 13 blade turbines, they where made without the nut casting. There are right way of doing things and then there are ways of doing things to get it done. Getting vise grips in the turbine section and holding will work most of the time, spilting the turbo will work all the time but you need to pay attention on how the unsion ring lined up to get it back together, you could also get a 3/16 brass punch and put it inbetween the turbine blades so it stop the turbine from spinning and get the compressor wheel off. Be careful not to damage the turbine wheel whichever way you decide to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.