New or Used FICM Strategy VXCF9DA - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New or Used FICM Strategy VXCF9DA

Viv is suggesting VXCF9DA as the latest known best strategy for my Truck but says i'd need a new computer, is it only the FICM or ???

TIA,

Denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you are experiencing running issues it could be related to the PCM not the stragety. IF you are running the strat listed in your sig she might be saying you are not far from the "best" strat therefore you need a new PCM.

BTW PCM and FICM strategy codes are coded different from one another.

Without more info about the whole situation you are only going to confuse us more.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You might want to get a second opinion. Vivian recommends off the wall stuff sometimes. This make absolutely no sense.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I'd talk to Matt or Eric.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 AM

Ok, i'm trying to figure out the best tune and strategy for my truck. Working with Vivian on some tweaks to my tune she noticed my strategy was really old and possibly the source of most of my problems.

In her recommendation to "fix" the issue she said my Mechanic would need to reflash the truck but to do it would require a new computer and wipe out my FICM tune from Eric so that may not be feasible.

for the interim she's building a new tune to see if it fixes some of the issues with the Injectors and smoke.

Make sense now?

So the PCM is physically different from the ECM and FICM are there 3 computers all with separate tunes or ???

Denny

Last edited by colonel angus; 06-27-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

No Denny. There are only two "computers" in our trucks. One is the PCM (also referred to as ECM) and the other is the FICM.

The "type" of PCM/ECM that is used on your truck is dependent upon the hardware configuration of your truck. (I.e. the 03s use a different PCM than an 06 does as its ICP sensor is on the HPOP where the 06 has its ICP sensor on the passenger side head)

The tune/strategy that can be ran on each truck is limited by the actual PCM that is determined by the year of your truck with its said hardware configuration. This means that an 03 truck can't use a PCM from an 06 nor can it run a strategy that is used on an 06 PCM and vice versa.

My recommendation would be to, instead of following Vivian's recommendation of spending a bunch of money for a useless strategy, I would switch to a tuner who knows what the hell he is doing and have your truck live tuned. Live tuning won't be limited by whatever strategy your running if the tuner knows what he/she is doing. Just my opinion.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM

Awesome, make perfect sense.

I'll just wait out the new Hybrid replacement Adrian is cooking up and try to find a
Live Tuner around DFW.

D
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

If you're in the state of Texas (I know I know. It's a HUGE state), I would go to Chris at TSD in San Antonio. Of course, Matt at Gearhead is in Bryan, TX too.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Come down to Truck Source Diesel and have Chris B. live tune your truck. It will be well worth it.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

I live in West Virginia and I'm contemplating making the trip to Chris at TSD when I get my setup finalized.

I have his SPD tune that I run in my truck right now and it is hands down the smoothest running tune that I have ever ran. The power is SO SMOOTH, the transmission shifts AWESOME, and his tune is the coolest and cleanest running tune that I have.

The next tuner that I like the best after him is Eric, followed by Matt, and then that's it. Won't run anyone elses' tunes and I have too. That's how I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.