Gauges vs Monitor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Gauges vs Monitor
Gauges 1 4.00%
Monitor 7 28.00%
Both 17 68.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauges vs Monitor

I've been reading a few threads about this topic and it sounds like a lot of people push for the monitor over gauges. I have a SCT Livewire so I get that it's nice to have a bunch of things on one screen but there's a few things about it I can't stand. One is I find it slightly annoying to have to turn it on an off every time I get in an out of the truck. Also during the summer while sitting in the sun the monitor gets so hot that when I turn it on I can't read anything until it cools, which at times takes much longer than the drive. These are just two reasons I've been wanting to switch over to gauges. Anyone else have these problems? I haven't tried any of the other monitors, do they work better in the heat?
I'm not trying to open a gigantic box of squirrels here, just trying to get some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM

I have an Edge CTS and I have no problems with temperature issues it's on my dash winter to summer.

Zach

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05F350Lariat View Post
I've been reading a few threads about this topic and it sounds like a lot of people push for the monitor over gauges. I have a SCT Livewire so I get that it's nice to have a bunch of things on one screen but there's a few things about it I can't stand. One is I find it slightly annoying to have to turn it on an off every time I get in an out of the truck. Also during the summer while sitting in the sun the monitor gets so hot that when I turn it on I can't read anything until it cools, which at times takes much longer than the drive. These are just two reasons I've been wanting to switch over to gauges. Anyone else have these problems? I haven't tried any of the other monitors, do they work better in the heat?
I'm not trying to open a gigantic box of squirrels here, just trying to get some opinions.
I love my Livewire TS, I have yet to have any problems with it and it automatically turns on and off with the ignition. I haven't had any problems with the heat but I've only ran the truck in Montana (where I used to live) and Alaska (where I currently live). It get's pretty warm here (in the 90's). I also run 2 gauges, fuel pressure and boost. BTW, in the settings there is a place to adjust it so that it turns on and off with the truck.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud digger View Post
BTW, in the settings there is a place to adjust it so that it turns on and off with the truck.
Is this setting only on the Livewire TS? I have the older Livewire and I've never seen a setting that turns it on or off automatically. If there is this setting I would like to know because that would fix one irritant about the monitor.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 PM

I've got both, I got a edge insight..and then I got 4 gauges running up the a pillar...think they both are great for different reasons...the a pillar looks cool from the outside, don't think anything looks better on a diesel...as for the insight it's really clean out of sight and does almost everything I need...
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda22 View Post
I've got both, I got a edge insight..and then I got 4 gauges running up the a pillar...think they both are great for different reasons...the a pillar looks cool from the outside, don't think anything looks better on a diesel...as for the insight it's really clean out of sight and does almost everything I need...
I agree with you! I love it when I look across an intersection and see a diesel sitting there with gauges running up the a pillar. I was thinking about doing both as well. My thought was to do a quad a pillar with a single off the steering column. These would be the pyro, boost, trans. temp, fuel pressure, and hpop pressure. Then run a monitor for other things such as oil temp, coolant temp, and volt. My only issue with the monitor is like I mentioned above. Blanking out when it's been sitting in the sun and having to turn it on an off everytime I get in an out.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Just added a poll for fun. I want to see what everyone thinks about this.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 PM

I run my Edge Insight CTS Pillar mounted with no problems with heat/cold ect. Doesnt take long to boot up. By the time i have the truck turned on and i'm all situated its up. if not i can tap it before i start the truck and it will start to boot up. I also have a steering column mounted fuel pressure guage.

I like the look of the pillar gauges/pods. But for me I feel its easier to look at the screen and see all of my information instead of looking at seperate gauges. The column mount is nice cause it places my guage right in the middle of my tach. So it doesnt block anything and is easy to view when looking at the cluster.

Thats just my two cents. If i were to put more guages i'm not sure where i would put them. I'm looking at putting Batt and FICM voltage on little LCD screens with a push button so they arent on all the time and are easy to access instead of having to change my PIDS on my CTS
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
KCCO!!

I like both options, I currently run ISSPRO gauges (Boost, Trans, EGT) along with my CTS in the top corner of my windshield. Getting ready to purchase the overhead console pod and add fuel fuel pressure, volts, and HPOP. I like to be able to look at all of the essentials at one time. I have the CTS set up on the analog gauge view and watch ECT, EOT, FICM, Volts, and MPH because of my lift. Plus it keeps the wife from wanting to jump in and drive, she says it's too intimidating to watch everything and by no means do I try and change her thought process...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells17 View Post
Plus it keeps the wife from wanting to jump in and drive, she says it's too intimidating to watch everything and by no means do I try and change her thought process...
I hear ya there. My Fiancee already doesn't want to drive my truck with it's size and the SCT Livewire. I know if I add a bunch more gauges she really won't want to touch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.