Need Help With Next Step - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need Help With Next Step

Hey everyone, I know there are threads all over this forum that provide information to people who are in search of their next mod, but I wanted to get a personalized response for me at this stage.

My current Mods are listed in my sig. I hate to say it, but I am bored with the truck right now. I just do not know where to go from here. I hear people say studs, some say nitrous/watermeth, and even others say injectors. I was thinking about getting an 03 turbo, but the price for one keeps going up and up to where they are almost only $300-$500 less than an aftermarket turbo.

It just seems that the more I research the more I get confused I am really not mechanically inclined when it comes to engines, I can do the little things, but nothing major, so I will most likely be forced to pay labor on any upgrade above a bolt on. I am looking for something that is under $1200-$1500 that will increase the performance of my truck, but at the same time not force me to have to upgrade other parts right away.

I know this is a long post full of questions but I figured if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be everyone here at the ORG. I just want to say thank you in advance to everyone's input and advice on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would go either water/meth or try to get studs done under warranty that way its out of the way if you go injectors you need to do a turbo at the same time to make it streetable b/c of the smoke
Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM

I think its about time we figured out a better turbo option than the Aurora 3K for the 6.0....... Im thinkin a HX55!! or bigger! Why not? Maybe an affordable set of twins!

Give me an idea and I will think up a way to fit it on.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would put a turbo, because the 05 turbo whistle is nothing like an 03 or the VGT-SS..
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestroker View Post
I would go either water/meth or try to get studs done under warranty that way its out of the way if you go injectors you need to do a turbo at the same time to make it streetable b/c of the smoke
How bad would the smoke be if the injectors were only stage 1's or 2's? I also thought you could get a new tune to limit the output of the injectors so that they will be more streetable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksstroker View Post
I would put a turbo, because the 05 turbo whistle is nothing like an 03 or the VGT-SS..
Yea I hear ya on that. The VGT-SS seems like alot of money compared to the 03s, but then again I really have no idea of what I am talking about lol
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Yeah bud!!! haha the mod bug is a nasty specimen
I'd say go with water/meth... well, nitrous... or wait, how bout a turbo.
Nitrous is an awesome power adder! The most bang for your buck, especially when Eric (from Innovative) ramps up your tunes. I'm almost leaning more towards it now, the thing with it though, $50 to fill up the bottle, and that'll give you roughly 10 runs.
Water/meth- I have this kit. I like it alot! Gave me .5 a second in the 1/4 and is reasonably cheap to maintain and refill.
Turbo- go with a hypo turbo from Discount Power. It'll give you KILLER whistle, and boost will jump up over 30psi on a regular basis, I believe.
Okay... so I didn't point any way, but I wanted you to know how I feel. Studs will come, I guess those are just engine insurance. ARPs are $450 to your door from most places.
Which one... which one... go with- nitrous! final answer :nate:
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
International Threat

Before doing ANYTHING else... I'd SURELY get studs No brainer.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel View Post
Yeah bud!!! haha the mod bug is a nasty specimen
I'd say go with water/meth... well, nitrous... or wait, how bout a turbo.
Nitrous is an awesome power adder! The most bang for your buck, especially when Eric (from Innovative) ramps up your tunes. I'm almost leaning more towards it now, the thing with it though, $50 to fill up the bottle, and that'll give you roughly 10 runs.
Water/meth- I have this kit. I like it alot! Gave me .5 a second in the 1/4 and is reasonably cheap to maintain and refill.
Turbo- go with a hypo turbo from Discount Power. It'll give you KILLER whistle, and boost will jump up over 30psi on a regular basis, I believe.
Okay... so I didn't point any way, but I wanted you to know how I feel. Studs will come, I guess those are just engine insurance. ARPs are $450 to your door from most places.
Which one... which one... go with- nitrous! final answer :nate:

Thanks for the answer. It just seems like there is some much stuff that has to be done to the truck in order to run some big hp and not have it break.

Right now as I sit I am in the process of negotiating a price for an 03 turbo. My thing is if I get the turbo for $650 + Pedastal $200? + Hardware Kit $10 + install I will be close to $1000 roughly. Would I be better off getting the Hypo from Discount or the 03?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
Thanks for the answer. It just seems like there is some much stuff that has to be done to the truck in order to run some big hp and not have it break.

Right now as I sit I am in the process of negotiating a price for an 03 turbo. My thing is if I get the turbo for $650 + Pedastal $200? + Hardware Kit $10 + install I will be close to $1000 roughly. Would I be better off getting the Hypo from Discount or the 03?
get the hypo man. a few more dollars, but more power in the end. it's a modified turbo instead of a "stock" replacement.
Marty is right about the studs, but I'm just weird enough to remember that they will go and I spend until they do... might as well live a little. What's a little coolant on your hood
Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel View Post
get the hypo man. a few more dollars, but more power in the end. it's a modified turbo instead of a "stock" replacement.
Marty is right about the studs, but I'm just weird enough to remember that they will go and I spend until they do... might as well live a little. What's a little coolant on your hood
I think I am going to try for the Hypo then. I figure if the studs go then I can always try and get them covered under warranty (I have a VERY understanding dealership here). I figure if the turbo is getting replaced I might as well delete the EGR also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.