Injector Spill Ports Explained - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector Spill Ports Explained

Could someone explain what Spill Ports are or do and why some tuners prefer open to closed? is it Nozz size or what that dictates it?

I'm awaiting a set of 175's 30's from Jess who claims closed is better. my 175's 75's came closed and i have lope and tuning specific to them which will require a retune.

Denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

subscribed
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

My opinion, I think what it comes down to is that it's easier for the injector builder to create a larger flowing injector this way. Saves them time and money, you would assume this method would be less efficent since it takes special tuning to make the truck idle like normal again. Edit: The spill ports are designed to allow excess fuel to be spilled back into the feed rail. These typically don't need to be plugged with 190cc injectors and under depending on how the injector is reworked.

Last edited by snopro_03; 06-21-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Something to consider is whether or not an injector that has plugged spill ports actually flows what they're rated for.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would also like to know how the plugs effect the longevity of the injector. When I first got my DDP sticks they idled smooth as glass and had good power. I had an AD2 with gauge from get go and always monitored FICM volts. I have only had them for 2 years and 25k and now cyl2 drops out at idle and sometimes I can feel a dead hole when loaded in OD. DDP plugs the ports to make a bigger injector the cheapest way possible. Just wondering if the plug stresses anything?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Plugging the spill ports is a cheaper/faster way of increasing the fuel capacity of a stock injector with minimal machining and shimming.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM

So if I had my stock injectors made in to a set of 155 stock nozzle injectors do you think the spill ports are plugged?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDBall View Post
So if I had my stock injectors made in to a set of 155 stock nozzle injectors do you think the spill ports are plugged?
Most likely yes if warren does them. My 175's have plugged ports. Had to have tune made for them to get rid of lope. It loped bad the longer you would let it idle, still does on my tow tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 AM

My 155 warrens do, I assume. It idles same as stock, but when your coasting sometimes you hear it idle off and on real fast, causes no negative drive ability, used to it now and kind of like it. Sounds exactly like my old 7.3l when slowing down. I would guess warren D machines them to the right flow THEN plugs the port for more performance, so maybe they flow a bit more than advertised? Or not, whatever, they work great and warrens does them much cheaper than most so if that's how they do it, kuddos. My truck did not ever smoke on stock sticks and when I first dropped the 155s in I was "roalling coal" so bad traffic behind me dissapperared! Lol - so they flow way more fuel and that's a small upgrade (155s). I have since had tunes modified and run MTW S1 and now it clears it up for the most part but I can "roal coal" on demand as needed. Lol - I guess my point is my warren 155s work great and were a huge increase in fueling over stockers, I didn't think the jump would be so evident

Last edited by jetjock15; 06-22-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Unplugged injectors behave like normal until you increase the PW or increase the nozzle size. Plugged nozzles give you 155cc flow at max PW, but they also give you more flow earlier in the stroke with regular nozzles. This is why they smoke more on a stock tune. This is also why some need defuelling for idle or low PW flow. I doubt anyone was making 155s by cutting the internals, because you didn't need to! Just slip in a 3.5mm dowel and perhaps a light crimp and it is done. The downfall is why it was made to be ported, to relieve fluid stress from the hp fuel side to the relatively lower hpo side. Some have said the port also aids in fueling the chamber, and that may be somewhat true, but not really, since it doesn't open till very near the top of stroke.

Looking back at the history of the modifications, it started out as nozzles, but that really didn't do much. Plugging the port using various methods came next then, out came the cutting tools. Then the reliability started to suffer as the cuts got larger and more fuel was makings its way into the oil. Better reliability came from reman modifications and then came the open port and hybrids. Of course this was all mixed results since the turbo sizing was still being played with. Throw in the oil cooler posing as EGR cooler and headgasket issues, and not very many were happy with the new toy that wasn't reliable. As everyone now seems to be finding out, it is quite a good platform if you know the health of the engine.

There is no magic or mystery to injectors, it is just there wasn't much info available to the public at large until just a few months ago. It is kind of sad it took this long to get some of the info out. Almost 10 years!

Last edited by twoicebergs; 06-22-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.