Custom Tunes at Home - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Custom Tunes at Home

Is there anywhere you can buy a program to create our own tunes? I know that EFI live allows it user to tweak tunes, why can't powerstroke owners?

Also why doesn't anyone who writes tunes share there tuning strategys? If you look at cummins or duramax custom tunes, everyone is open about timing, injector pulse widths, turbo tuning etc…

What makes Powerstroke tunes so secretive? I'm not trying to piss off any people who write tunes, just wonder why we (end users) can't do tweaking ourselves? Almost seems like SCT has something to do with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep I have it. There is a huge learning curve and if you dont know what you are doing you can really hurt stuff.

SCT Performance - Advantage III Ford / GM / DCX Dealer Custom Tuning Software**Part Number: Advantage III

By the way this link is for the home software. They make a pro software... that all the tuners use. This software in the link is for one license for your turck. The pro lets you tune for people.

Edit: I realized I didnt awnser the rest of your question. The pro software is not cheap. In order to pay for it and make it worth it yuo need to write tunes for other people. If the tunes were all open to the public there would be no reason to charge so much for tunes. Every tune writer is diffrent and thats waht make is great in my opinion. Again the "tweaking" could result in really bad things happening if you add a little too much or take a little too much. Also:

http://www.thetuningschool.com/3121/

There is now a online traing coruse for the tuning. This is going to be my next step but its about 1k so right now I am just playing with my truck.

Last edited by toren302; 06-18-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
RollinEarly05...now

I never seen an at home version. Has anybody ever bought this? How much does it cost and how did your tunes come out. I realize that build our own tunes is complicated but everyone has to start somewhere and this is the only option for people like me that don't have live tuning available but want a perfect running truck.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Bump To Pass!!

I got mine from where else....Amazon. It was 349.00 for the home version. So far my tunes are ok nothing like the pros but ill get there. I really need the course to figure the rest of the software out. I like it and its somthing to do on the weekends.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
If the tunes were all open to the public there would be no reason to charge so much for tunes. Every tune writer is diffrent and thats waht make is great in my opinion.
I disagree only because duramax and cummins writers are still thriving and "trading secrets" only helps make our trucks run better with more potential for more power.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Yah I was kinda being vauge. The PW and timing isnt really secret. Its all out there, but how all of it interacts with the vgt and other perameters is what everyone holds close to their chests. The SCT programs encript all tunes once there made so only that tuner can edit and open them. There is a reason there are only a handfull of "good" 6.0 tuners. It takes alot of time knowedge and pratice to get these right.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That tuning school is all about cars and I doubt they have anything to offer as far as tweaking a Diesel. SCT also does training classes but to my knowledge they don't cover diesels either so you are pretty much on your own to figure things out.

When done writing a file the software doesn't encrypt it. It compiles it into machine code that the computer can execute. Just like writing code for a PC. You use an editor to develop your program source code then compile it to machine code for the computer to run.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 06-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 PM
RollinEarly05...now

With this software are you able to tune while diving down the road? Obviously you will need someone else driving while you look at the laptop.

And before anybody says it, I know I should have just used a search engine and would have found this.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Bump To Pass!!

As far as I know you cant adjust or tune on the fly. You have to datalog and then adjust.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yup, no tune on the fly capability. The only person I know of that can make changes to the 6.0 on the fly is Bill at PHP. He wrote his own tuning software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.