Should I Buy This Truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Buy This Truck?

Hello, not sure if this is the right spot to ask this, but it does have to do with performance mods. Oh, and Hi, I'm new here.

There's an '03 F350 Crew Lariat SWB for sale with 126k that's in my price range. The dealership ad says "FULL HEAD GASKET UPGRADE WITH HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP KIT, TURBO CLEANED OUT, EGR COOLER UPGRADED AND BLOCKED OFF!! HAS TURBO UPGRADES UNIQUE TO US!!". Nobody knows what that really means so I called them hoping it had ARP studs, and some aftermarket parts, but it turns out they are still using OEM style TTY head bolts. I'm not sure what "Full Head Gasket Upgrade" means then. Maybe a Ti gasket? They also did not use any kind of aftermarket EGR cooler / delete kit. Also not sure what they actually did there then. They said they "tipped" the impeller to improve spooling and "increase horsepower".

With all that said, can anyone enlighten me as to what they probably did to this 6.0 PSD? Should I go look at it, or should I skip it and keep looking? They are asking just under $17k (they say their modifications are worth $1995)

Thanks in advance!

TS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM

I would walk away. It all sounds kind of fishy. Sounds like someone who knows very little about the 6.0 trying to use flashy words without committing to anything real. Ask to see receipts - no never mind run run away...

If you got a link post it up we could better evaluate it, heck you could probably get someone who speaks 6.0 fluently to call them and really tell you how full of it they are.

my .02

edit:

oh yeah you either upgrade the EGR or you block it off not both.

Last edited by sfu7274456; 06-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
Hello, not sure if this is the right spot to ask this, but it does have to do with performance mods. Oh, and Hi, I'm new here.

There's an '03 F350 Crew Lariat SWB for sale with 126k that's in my price range. The dealership ad says "FULL HEAD GASKET UPGRADE WITH HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP KIT, TURBO CLEANED OUT, EGR COOLER UPGRADED AND BLOCKED OFF!! HAS TURBO UPGRADES UNIQUE TO US!!". Nobody knows what that really means so I called them hoping it had ARP studs, and some aftermarket parts, but it turns out they are still using OEM style TTY head bolts. I'm not sure what "Full Head Gasket Upgrade" means then. Maybe a Ti gasket? They also did not use any kind of aftermarket EGR cooler / delete kit. Also not sure what they actually did there then. They said they "tipped" the impeller to improve spooling and "increase horsepower".

With all that said, can anyone enlighten me as to what they probably did to this 6.0 PSD? Should I go look at it, or should I skip it and keep looking? They are asking just under $17k (they say their modifications are worth $1995)

Thanks in advance!

TS
I would walk away from this as well, people that do head gaskets on these trucks don't put the crappy stock head bolts back in.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM
MARSOC > Seals

First off.

Second, I would look for another truck.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys!

Here's the ad:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=347339908

Last edited by TwinStick; 06-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
MARSOC > Seals

SO, the truck has a upgraded EGR cooler that is blocked off? What is the point of that?? A unique turbo to them, LOL, I would run now with my money.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No dealership in their right mind would advertise a truck as having the emissions equipment tampered with... It is technically illegal to sell a vehicle with disabled emission equipment. I would walk away from that thing. Also, what kind of dealership are they? Can;t tell much from the pics, but it doesn;t seem to be a major manufacturer's dealer typically meaning no real service department. Who did this turbo "modding" and where did they learn of this 'tipping' the impeller? I've been around diesel for several years now and NEVER heard of anyone 'tipping' the blades....
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
No dealership in their right mind would advertise a truck as having the emissions equipment tampered with... It is technically illegal to sell a vehicle with disabled emission equipment. I would walk away from that thing. Also, what kind of dealership are they? Can;t tell much from the pics, but it doesn;t seem to be a major manufacturer's dealer typically meaning no real service department. Who did this turbo "modding" and where did they learn of this 'tipping' the impeller? I've been around diesel for several years now and NEVER heard of anyone 'tipping' the blades....

What he said...

Sarcasm ON:
Imagine all the money and time Mad Turbo Werks, and all the others have wasted building and researching all of these so called Fancy turbo's when all they needed to do was tip the impeller to make more boost. So how do you tip an impeller, smack the blades with a hammer...
Sarcasm Off
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Haha! To be fair, I was asking my layman's questions to a salesperson. It could be that the impeller mod is something that makes more sense. Either way, I'll pass. You guys may have saved me some headache and money so again, thanks a million!!

Now that you mention it, I can't believe they're advertising the emiisions being removed. That's Salem for you.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

pass on that truck lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.