05 Engine Rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Engine Rebuild

Hey guys, just checking in from the desert for some input. I am thinking about doing a complete engine overhaul minus the new parts I have on. You can see what I have in my sig and here is some food for thought for some future stuff.

1) Should I replace the crankshaft when I do an overhaul or just take the stocker out and get it rebalanced?

2) Should I keep the pistons as stock or go .010 over? Any advantages or disadvantages to one vs the other?

3) EDE heads with a stage 1 cam, carillo rods, new ported intake manifold, new coated headers, have heads and block decked and milled. New up-pipe, BPD oil cooler upgrade kit, EDE billet flexplate, RCD fuel delivery and return.

This is what I'm looking at so far. Any input on all of this would be great.

What I'm looking for is 100% reliable performance and an upgrade that is going to make the engine like new again. I'm not looking for crazy, however one and done is my motto for big builds. Anything I should be concerned with on this list. Btw I'm getting the EDE parts from Rudy's Performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How many miles? I just rebuild my engine it had just under 210k when head gaskets went. My pistons were mint, my crank was mint my bearings were ok. I would not waste your $ on a new crank, or pistons. Clean yours up and do new bearings, rings etc.; I had my bloack hot tanked and honed there was no ridge and my original hone marks were still there in the cyls at 210k etc.
The only way i'd do the crank would be if it was a stroker with custom rods etc...
I'd put you $ into the BPD air cooled oil cooler setup, An Adreneline HPOP if you have the older style HPOP ie cast iron cover ves 2 piece with HPOP sticking thru it.
You parts list and mods looks good. head work is good ie, valves springs and 3/8" pushrods, new lifters, and cam etc....etc.. fuel system ie lift pump upgrades would be good idea too.. Just doing those parts is going to be over 10k in parts, after adding up the little stuff. I have close to 12 in my build and I'm not done, and i have stock cam, stock valves springs, stock pushrods, etc. My thread is the driveway build in the excursion thread.
Let us know,
Thanks,
Deo
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM

Forgot to add THANK YOU For your Service!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

Yeah I am not trying to break the bank in the process but I just want to do this one time and not worry about it again for a looooong while, God willing. Another route I am thinking is the Stage 2 crate engine from performance machine and having them take a few things off I won't need. I want to ask them about their heads and what they do to them as far as port and polish and what the materials are in their valve train upgrade. I'm using the EDE heads as a baseline and trying to get everything as streamlined and simplistic as possible, i.e. I don't want to buy 15 different parts from 13 different places. So if the stage 2 crate is good for what I want can I just do that and call it a day?

I really do want to go with new carillo rods simply put because once again I want a one and done build, and also when this is over with I will be doing a Snow performance stage 3 water/meth for schnits and giggles. After I posted this I started digging around and have come up with the Performance Machine stage 2 crate. Are there any issues going that route either?

Thank you
Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Unless you are looking for big hp I wouldn't bother with anything other than the stock crank, rod, and pistons. If you can get away with just honing the cylinders are new rings on the pistons That's what I would do. That'll easily live with 700 rwhp all day long. Save your money for other things.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Green. I'm going to price out 3 different routes and figure out which one to go with as far as price is concerned.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have to agree, unless you are looking to blister 40" tires in 4wd. A basic stud and update job will do it. Buy the parts individually or check out Asheville engine. There is a guy on here(gearhead2012) I believe, that really got into detail on porting the heads. It's a lot of time but will save you money.

But if you insist on going that deep, add arp main studs as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Be sure to use the latest Black Onyx Gaskets!

{Bracing}

D
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 PM

bullet proof 6.0

Need some advise as I have a 6.4, my brother has a 05/6.0 and wants to bullet proof it, does anyone know if Performance truck products (Nate) does rebuilds/bullet-proofing? I will call in the morning but just wanted to see ahead of time, so if this plan doesn't work out who around Dallas does good work, I live up here in Seattle so not familiar with what shops are in the area.
Your replies are greatly appreciated.
cbenn
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Run don't walk away from the pmm crate motor!!! May want to look into blackwater or Asheville but I wouldnt pee on pmm if they were on fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.