F550 Motorhome build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 Motorhome build

Hello all. I am in the process of picking out parts to improve the performance and fuel mileage on my 2006 F550 based motorhome. Please feel free to comment on my selections. I would also be curious to know where I can find the best prices on these items and how much time it should take to install them. Thanks in advance

Bullet Proof EGR Cooler and upgraded coolant
MBRP 4" Turbo back exhaust (cat delete)
H&S Tuner with Pyro kit and pillar mount
Cold air intake..........????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's a picture of the RV, for size and weight reference.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Build depends on how far you want to go to fix it or improve it. Where are you located? Can you delete the egr? the engine check light can be programmed to not come on etc..
I would recommend:
- Gauges, ie - pyro (egt), boost, trans temp, fuel pressure etc.
- A scan gauge II to monitor other stuff ICP, FICM Volts, Oil and Water temp deltas etc etc. You have a full time load, so gauges would be first order.
- SCT tuner and get the custom tunes written for the truck vs a h&s tuner.
- Head studs.
- BPD Oil Cooler, the big Heavy duty Towing version of the cooler
- good 4" turbo back Exhaust
- CCV Mod
Starting Point see what you want and can afford.

Thanks,
Deo
john galt likes this.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 PM

There are complete solutions kits for the 6.0 that you can order that will include head studs, egr delete/upgrade and some come with a tuner as well. You can order them from places like river city diesel, xdp and sinister/mkm. I run an Afe stage2si intake combined with the zoodad mod on my F450 and I love it and Im sure its helping fuel economy, I usually see 12mpg city (empty). I've always found good prices on Xdp, plus they have good promotions and sometimes free shipping on orders over a certain amount, so that may be a good spot to look for all of your items. Also, PHP ficm tunes and dieselsites Wickedwheel 2 seem to be very good, simple upgrades. Its worth a google search on those
Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For what it is worth, H&S isn't the way to go with a 6.0. Stick with SCT and your tuning options are a load broader. That said here we go.

Edge Insight CTS or CS to monitor your engine. Add the EGT probe. Maybe add the backup camera option. Fuel pressure gauge
Delete the EGR if you can where you are.
4" turbo back exhaust with cat delete.
Flush cooling system and run fresh ELC coolant
Get an SCT tow tune for whatever weight you expect to be over a regular 6.0 pickup.
A PHP FICM tune might help as well. Maybe the Economy tune. Any more will raise your EGT's
A BPD heavy duty tow setup is great if you can afford it. Never worry about a clogged oil cooler again but not absolutely necessary.
A Water/Meth injection system to help control EGT's when you are loaded down and have those long grades in front of you. Just spray winter windshield washer fluid when you need it to drop egts. Should drop the 200 degrees maybe 250.
Monitor, monitor, monitor. If you ever need head gaskets do ARP studs with OEM gaskets at that time.
john galt likes this.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 06-14-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Give quick tricks a call. Vivian is awesome to deal with and she caries a lot of the stuff you will need! Nice rig man!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
john galt likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
For what it is worth, H&S isn't the way to go with a 6.0. Stick with SCT and your tuning options are a load broader. That said here we go.

Edge Insight CTS or CS to monitor your engine. Add the EGT probe. Maybe add the backup camera option. Fuel pressure gauge
Delete the EGR if you can where you are.
4" turbo back exhaust with cat delete.
Flush cooling system and run fresh ELC coolant
Get an SCT tow tune for whatever weight you expect to be over a regular 6.0 pickup.
A PHP FICM tune might help as well. Maybe the Economy tune. Any more will raise your EGT's
A BPD heavy duty tow setup is great if you can afford it. Never worry about a clogged oil cooler again but not absolutely necessary.
A Water/Meth injection system to help control EGT's when you are loaded down and have those long grades in front of you. Just spray winter windshield washer fluid when you need it to drop egts. Should drop the 200 degrees maybe 250.
Monitor, monitor, monitor. If you ever need head gaskets do ARP studs with OEM gaskets at that time.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm pondering just going ahead and installing new head gaskets and head studs now. Is that stupid? I'm not familiar with all of the acronyms for all the different tunes. Just pick one, or are they used in conjunction (stacked)? Also, what's CCV mod? I'm also interested in electric fan options. The stock fan is loud as heck and robs power.......

Last edited by serpexc; 07-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

I love that setup...nice rv. Bet they didn't ever think that you might need to pull the cab on that one to replace studs/gaskets...etc...sheesh! Good thing you can do a cab on head gasket job cause that would be hard cab to remove!!! Electric fans aren't worth the money...these trucks allready have too much air flow restriction cause of the grille design. I pretty much agree with what others have said...not that I am any genius or anything.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

take it from me do not go the h&s route for tuning , i did and they make great power but as of now they do nothing for the transmission . i had one and switch to sct and its a lot better shifting . if it were my rig i would not mess with the head gaskets until i knew there was an issue . unless money is not an issue . there are lots of custom tuners out there to chose from for the sct . also dp has a new tuner that is made for the 6.0l looks good , i wish i had got one . i would also suggest the blue spring update , coolant filter .there is so much you can do its hard to list it all , i sugesst looking at all the stickies in the general 6.0l section and read up on what to monitor ......good luck ...ill be waiting for pics and details ....lol
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
No one makes an electric fan that moves as much air as the stock fan.
That said... some guys are running electric fans and getting away with it, but I wouldn't do it on a truck (or motor home) that is going to be hauling/towing max GVWR.

The only stacking of tunes on a 6.0 is running a FICM tune along with a ECM tune (SCT with tunes of your choice).
In your case I would only recommend a mild (maybe moderate) FICM tune and then some towing tunes for the SCT, get a trans only tune for when you tow near max GVWR and another towing tune with some added power for when you are towing under 8k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.