Powermax lag? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Powermax lag?

Im getting ready to upgrade my turbo, I was wanting to get a mtw stage 1 but I cant be without my truck for a month while it gets built. So those that have a powermax is the lag on them as bad as I hear? Has anyone had a powermax then went to a mtw stage 1 and can give any feedback on which one they prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The lag is worse than a stocker or them stage 1. But nothing horrible. If you have a tuner, get your tune writer to make tunes for it. If you still have the stock file loaded, good luck not getting killed pulling out.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you can wait, then wait on the Stage 1. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't require tuning to fix lag, like the P-max.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
If you still have the stock file loaded, good luck not getting killed pulling out.
LOL I know what you mean. I still have a stock turbo and before my street tune I could not get out of my own way. Good laugh for today
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM

I do run with tunes on the truck. Vivians Matts and Tony's. Working on getting Eric's. Maybe I will just pay the core and get the Mtw stage 1.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Any aftermarket turbo is going to require tuning to get the most out of the turbo period. Now how said turbo works with out a custom file for that turbo is dependent on a copy things. Personally the MAD stage one IIRC and Powermax have issues on stock cast wheels. For the MAD stage 1 it's surging. For the Powermax it's LAG. I have used a powermax with and with out custom pmax tuning and with a cast wheel, batmo and the MTW Single plane. After installing the MTW billet in the Pmax I can run stock ford tuning even with egr functions enabled without issue. I can even run stock turbo tunes without the issues the cast wheel had. in the end the Pmax with the Single plane MTW wheel is a really nice turbo and even better if you couple that with custom tuning.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
Any aftermarket turbo is going to require tuning to get the most out of the turbo period. Now how said turbo works with out a custom file for that turbo is dependent on a copy things. Personally the MAD stage one IIRC and Powermax have issues on stock cast wheels. For the MAD stage 1 it's surging. For the Powermax it's LAG. I have used a powermax with and with out custom pmax tuning and with a cast wheel, batmo and the MTW Single plane. After installing the MTW billet in the Pmax I can run stock ford tuning even with egr functions enabled without issue. I can even run stock turbo tunes without the issues the cast wheel had. in the end the Pmax with the Single plane MTW wheel is a really nice turbo and even better if you couple that with custom tuning.
MTW no longer sells ANY Stage 1s with cast wheels (at least without talking to Adrian and working something with him on the side).

I've talked to a few guys now (above the two that I personally have sold billet single plane wheels to) and everyone seems to think that the billet wheels are worth the money to spend on a Pmax. I know if I was buying a Pmax, I wouldn't run one with out it after seeing the two wheels side by side.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I never ran my Pmax with the cast wheel. I installed a Batmowheel in it before I bolted it on but I never had any lag issues with it and neither has Cliff in the time it's been on his truck. Cliff is running it with the SRL+ for a stock turbo and it runs decent. It would run better with a proper tune for it but he won't be keeping that turbo.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Nate will the mtw stage 1 out flow a powermax with your new wheel in your opinion?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
MTW no longer sells ANY Stage 1s with cast wheels (at least without talking to Adrian and working something with him on the side).

I've talked to a few guys now (above the two that I personally have sold billet single plane wheels to) and everyone seems to think that the billet wheels are worth the money to spend on a Pmax. I know if I was buying a Pmax, I wouldn't run one with out it after seeing the two wheels side by side.
I guess my point is that the cast wheel was a issue in the MTW S1 and still a issue in the Pmax. To me the Pmax/MTW SP wheel (same wheel on the MTW s1) is a great combo. It' better than the Pmax Batmo combo and I know this from using both. Does Turbo specific help yes and it does on any aftermarket turbo to get the most out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.