Yet another PHP Atlas review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up Yet another PHP Atlas review

Well, I got my PHP remote programmer yesterday. I ordered it on May 29th and received it on June 12th. Not to bad of a wait time if you ask me especially for the price.

I had decided that I would just go straight to the Atlas 40 before sending it back. I probably will not try the Tow tune and I won't try the Atlas 80 or Hercules because I'm still on the TTY head bolts.

Also, I guess I should note that my truck is completely stock other than the fact that I am running the blue FP spring, my tires are 265/70R17's instead of the 275/70/R18's that originally came on it (which makes RPM's higher at all speeds), rear gears are 3.73LS's and I'm running a ScanGauge 2 and a Glow Shift 3-in-1 (Boost/EGT/FP) gauge. Other than that she's all stock.

This truck has always had a little turbo lag since I purchased it in February of this year. And, I've never been able to spin the tires on dry pavement unless I power brake it into a hard right turn from a stop. I live above 5000 feet and so I'm sure that's not helping at all.

None-the-less I was hoping for some change after I installed the Atlas 40 program and I got it. I am 100% impressed with it now. It feels like a whole new truck. And I have to agree with most who say it feels like you are driving a gasser. You are using a lot less pedal to get it going from a stop and you use a lot less pedal to keep it cruising on the highway. It's just so weird how it feels, so unlike how it used to be.

I had to take it for a test drive last night after I got off work and noticed right away pulling out of my driveway that it seemed like there was very little if any turbo lag. It felt a lot less lethargic. And so I took it easy on the highway while on my way to get some fuel, wanting to listen and just make sure everything was going to be fine. And I noticed that I was having to use a lot less pedal to keep it at 75mph but was finding that I was hitting 85mph much more easily now and having to watch myself.

Coming out of the fuel station I romped on it just a little bit (not real hard but not soft either) and it actually barked the tires. I couldn't believe it. I had a grin from ear to ear! At that point I was sold and couldn't even wonder what it would be like to install an SCT with some custom tunes.

There is one caveat though and that is heat. I have a long, low grade 75mph climb just before the exit for my town. The hill is probably 2-3 miles long and I know that the truck hits a little over 800F on the EGT during that climb. But, with the Atlas 40 it was a solid 900F all the way up. With a 4" turbo back I'm hoping I will be able to knock that back down to 800F.

I am hugely impressed with PHP and their Atlas 40 FICM tune. It's a true night and day difference in the truck. Two very big !!!

Cliff notes: PHP, Atlas 40, holy crap new truck!

Last edited by Soledad; 06-13-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Now get a SCT on it and really wake it up. 900* is nothing to be concerned over.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Good to hear I'm saving up to get the programmer. Hopefully will have by the end of the month. Thanks for the insight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.