High Exhaust Backpressure!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
High Exhaust Backpressure!?!

I was wondering whats everybodys opinion on high exhaust backpressure? Tony is tweaking my tunes for my MTW stage 2 and the lastest tune has backpressure under light throttle. Today backpressure was up to 17-19 while boost was only 2-3 psi. Seems Really high to me... But under WOT boost is at 22 and backpressure was only 31. So I know Im okay under WOT but light throttle seems out of control. Boost also seems low and I'm struggling to get boost higher than 26 on this MTW Stage 2.

The turbo sounds weird also, I just cant seem to find a noise to compare it to. When I put the tune back a different tune it doesn't make this weird noise. I tried to record the noise but you couldn't here it in the video...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tony tunes run with a lower boost# then any I have run. I wouldnt worry to much about the boost numbers as long as the truck is performing. If I am correct your engine is running more efficiently if you can produce more HP with less boost. (someone a little smarter then me may correct that statement) I have not seen boost higher the 25 on his tunes. The noise may be (if it is the same as mine) the vanes on the turbo closing. Watch your VGT% if you are running an CAI you will most definitely hear it more. It sounds like a low growl kinda-of when you let off the throttle. Tony may have installed the Jake Brake option on the tune.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM
RollinEarly05...now

No jake brake option installed and VGT cycle % is at 65% and holding steading when I hear the noise...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Can you describe the noise at all
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
RollinEarly05...now

I wanna say the noise sounds like the whine from a supercharger but deeper sounding...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

Well for what its worth each tune i run (and I have 12 different ones from 3 tuners Tony, Vivian and Eric from IDP and just contacted Matt from Gear Head today to try his) they all sound different. Some have a more pronounced whine while others sound just like stock. I am sure it just has to do with how each tuner controls the turbo vanes which also effects your back pressure.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the EBP atmospheric or relative? I see about 19psi atmospheric with 2pis of relative boost. At WOT and loaded I get over 32psi boost and 52psi EBP. If the converter is spinning, I get 28ish psi and 45-50ish EBP with Tony's Extreme. So if you go atmospheric to atmospheric or relative to relative, it seems one of your numbers is way off. Maybe your noise is a leak or your sensor is off on the calibration?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

If you are reading boost from the obd2 port it will not display correct. Most tunes show a lower boost to keep the vanes closed longer. As for back pressure at wot you want to be as close to 1:1 as possible, in a perfect world, at cruise 2:1 is normal.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu! View Post
If you are reading boost from the obd2 port it will not display correct. Most tunes show a lower boost to keep the vanes closed longer. As for back pressure at wot you want to be as close to 1:1 as possible, in a perfect world, at cruise 2:1 is normal.
2:1 cruising is what I thought was normal. If I put the truck back to the original tune Tony wrote me, backpressure is normal. Just trying to squeeze everthing out of this turbo before I go the dyno in Woodburn Oregon. I think I need to get a mechanical boost gauge to be 100% positive boost is actually low.

With this tune my VGT is 85% at WOT but once it spools up the VGT cycle drops to around 41% in 5th and 6th gear. I'm thinking that I need to lower both numbers for high boost numbers with lower backpressure numbers. I'm waiting to see what Tony has to say, I know he is busy with his family so I don't bug him and just wait for a response.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Is the EBP atmospheric or relative? I see about 19psi atmospheric with 2pis of relative boost. At WOT and loaded I get over 32psi boost and 52psi EBP. If the converter is spinning, I get 28ish psi and 45-50ish EBP with Tony's Extreme. So if you go atmospheric to atmospheric or relative to relative, it seems one of your numbers is way off. Maybe your noise is a leak or your sensor is off on the calibration?
What are you using to read turbo boost numbers? Also, the noise goes away once I reprogram with a different tune so it not a leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.