Best non-studded tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best non-studded tune?

I've read alot about innovative diesel and vivains tunes. I just purchased the SCT live wire 5015 to tune and help keep an eye on what the engines doing. Right now my truck (03 f-350 with 48,000 miles) currently has a 4 inch turbo back exhaust, Zoodad mod and thats it. I plan to get it studded but it'll be next summer for this poor collage kid. Egr delete is next on my list. But anyways back to my question! What tune should I run?? Innovatives Extreme street as my DD tune / The economy tune for traveling. With the Extreme X for when that pesky D-max owner wants to throw down. Or run one of Vivians tunes? I've read thru a fair amount of the forums info on tuners and skimmed the surface on tunes (very helpful) but Hopefully some one can help me pick the right ones!

Thanks! Long time reader first time posting on the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

call innovation and talk to them never had a problem with there tunes. I run the non studded looney and like it.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews

For a truck with factory bolts I recommend Matt Robinson from gearhead automotive. I ran his SRL for 2 1/2 years without any issues and I ran the crap outa my truck too!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 PM

I'm running Erik's xtreme street tune from innovative. Truck is strong down low and up high. No issues with about 15k on it.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

until you get studs with a personal opinion just use the tow 50+ hp unless you got money set aside... the factory bolts are so flip floped on reliability.... mine stretched at 52k some have never had a problem... but the aggressive timing is what gets these non-studded trucks. high hp tunes = aggressive cylinder timing

could happen over night could never happen your risk should be determined by pocket book size till you get all the parts you need.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
until you get studs with a personal opinion just use the tow 50+ hp unless you got money set aside... the factory bolts are so flip floped on reliability.... mine stretched at 52k some have never had a problem... but the aggressive timing is what gets these non-studded trucks. high hp tunes = aggressive cylinder timing

could happen over night could never happen your risk should be determined by pocket book size till you get all the parts you need.
What tunes/tuner were you running? Erik's non studded tunes keep cylinder pressures in check. I also have his xtreme race non studded tune and have no issues running it except a little more heat and less fuel economy. Also running their hot ficm tune but those are also safe on stock bolts.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

I was really new to diesels esp the problems of the 6.0... so I was going stock no tunes, no guages etc... then about 6 months after i bought it i had some coolant resdue on my cap so I reduced the coolant fill lvl and got a new cap. seemed to work for few weeks then puked a little more. so had a mechanic that sinister diesel reccommended due a coolant pressure test static/ driving etc... 21.5psi... so i got arps, egr delete, new oil cooler and i did the vc-9 flush before hand etc... and switched to cat elc coolant. now i run stock maybe a trans only tune once in a while for the check engine light.... anyone know why my 04 model has the code after egr delete thought they weren'tsupposed to get them?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've been running Matt's SRL for several years now with my stock bolts and have no issues to this point. I love the tune and I do not baby my truck.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I was really new to diesels esp the problems of the 6.0... so I was going stock no tunes, no guages etc... then about 6 months after i bought it i had some coolant resdue on my cap so I reduced the coolant fill lvl and got a new cap. seemed to work for few weeks then puked a little more. so had a mechanic that sinister diesel reccommended due a coolant pressure test static/ driving etc... 21.5psi... so i got arps, egr delete, new oil cooler and i did the vc-9 flush before hand etc... and switched to cat elc coolant. now i run stock maybe a trans only tune once in a while for the check engine light.... anyone know why my 04 model has the code after egr delete thought they weren'tsupposed to get them?
That sux man, sorry to hear about your new experience. I wonder if the previous owner of the truck had an edge or banks programmer, those things were partly responsible for 6.0's getting a bad rap(head bolt killers)
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
gearhead SRL. i have tried them all and his SRL tune is the best all around imo..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.