Best non-studded tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best non-studded tune?

I've read alot about innovative diesel and vivains tunes. I just purchased the SCT live wire 5015 to tune and help keep an eye on what the engines doing. Right now my truck (03 f-350 with 48,000 miles) currently has a 4 inch turbo back exhaust, Zoodad mod and thats it. I plan to get it studded but it'll be next summer for this poor collage kid. Egr delete is next on my list. But anyways back to my question! What tune should I run?? Innovatives Extreme street as my DD tune / The economy tune for traveling. With the Extreme X for when that pesky D-max owner wants to throw down. Or run one of Vivians tunes? I've read thru a fair amount of the forums info on tuners and skimmed the surface on tunes (very helpful) but Hopefully some one can help me pick the right ones!

Thanks! Long time reader first time posting on the forum
post #2 of 19 Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

call innovation and talk to them never had a problem with there tunes. I run the non studded looney and like it.

03 f-250
blue spring
4inch turbo back exhaust
egr delete
MTW HYBRID
SCT livewire
scan gauge w egt
zoodad mod
fuel press gauge
225,000 miles
155/stock holder diesel
post #3 of 19 Old 06-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

For a truck with factory bolts I recommend Matt Robinson from gearhead automotive. I ran his SRL for 2 1/2 years without any issues and I ran the crap outa my truck too!

05 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed
ARPs w/OEM Gaskets
MTW Stage 2 w/batmowheel
BPD oil cooler w/ cold weather package
BPD Updated umm...Everything
BPD bypass oil filter
BPD FICM 58v
Spring Mod
Egr deleted
4" Duals
Edge CTS
Custom grille made by Me
X3 w/Matts SRL+/SRLxx and Tow Tunes
Tony WildmanExtreme w/early lockup

post #4 of 19 Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 PM

I'm running Erik's xtreme street tune from innovative. Truck is strong down low and up high. No issues with about 15k on it.

06' F250 CC SR SB FX4 AT

Studs,S&B CAI, MRBP 4" exhaust 3.5" down pipe, SCT LIVEWIRE TS, Tuned by Eric (xtreme street and race), Innovative Inductive and Performance FICM Tunes, blue spring upgrade, 2.5" Carli Leveling kit, 18x9 BMF Novakane Death Metal with 35x12.50 Toyo MT's 3:73 gears.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
until you get studs with a personal opinion just use the tow 50+ hp unless you got money set aside... the factory bolts are so flip floped on reliability.... mine stretched at 52k some have never had a problem... but the aggressive timing is what gets these non-studded trucks. high hp tunes = aggressive cylinder timing

could happen over night could never happen your risk should be determined by pocket book size till you get all the parts you need.

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, afe intake
-2006 f350 king ranch, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes,

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 First 7.3 and feels good to be back in a diesel....

Interested in learning something new?

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pol...verse-day.html

Justin,
post #6 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
until you get studs with a personal opinion just use the tow 50+ hp unless you got money set aside... the factory bolts are so flip floped on reliability.... mine stretched at 52k some have never had a problem... but the aggressive timing is what gets these non-studded trucks. high hp tunes = aggressive cylinder timing

could happen over night could never happen your risk should be determined by pocket book size till you get all the parts you need.
What tunes/tuner were you running? Erik's non studded tunes keep cylinder pressures in check. I also have his xtreme race non studded tune and have no issues running it except a little more heat and less fuel economy. Also running their hot ficm tune but those are also safe on stock bolts.

06' F250 CC SR SB FX4 AT

Studs,S&B CAI, MRBP 4" exhaust 3.5" down pipe, SCT LIVEWIRE TS, Tuned by Eric (xtreme street and race), Innovative Inductive and Performance FICM Tunes, blue spring upgrade, 2.5" Carli Leveling kit, 18x9 BMF Novakane Death Metal with 35x12.50 Toyo MT's 3:73 gears.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I was really new to diesels esp the problems of the 6.0... so I was going stock no tunes, no guages etc... then about 6 months after i bought it i had some coolant resdue on my cap so I reduced the coolant fill lvl and got a new cap. seemed to work for few weeks then puked a little more. so had a mechanic that sinister diesel reccommended due a coolant pressure test static/ driving etc... 21.5psi... so i got arps, egr delete, new oil cooler and i did the vc-9 flush before hand etc... and switched to cat elc coolant. now i run stock maybe a trans only tune once in a while for the check engine light.... anyone know why my 04 model has the code after egr delete thought they weren'tsupposed to get them?

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, afe intake
-2006 f350 king ranch, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes,

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 First 7.3 and feels good to be back in a diesel....

Interested in learning something new?

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pol...verse-day.html

Justin,
post #8 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've been running Matt's SRL for several years now with my stock bolts and have no issues to this point. I love the tune and I do not baby my truck.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights w/ 6k HIDs, Auto Meter gauges, ScanGaugeII, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, SCT w/ Hybrid Panty Dropper from Chris @ TSD, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I was really new to diesels esp the problems of the 6.0... so I was going stock no tunes, no guages etc... then about 6 months after i bought it i had some coolant resdue on my cap so I reduced the coolant fill lvl and got a new cap. seemed to work for few weeks then puked a little more. so had a mechanic that sinister diesel reccommended due a coolant pressure test static/ driving etc... 21.5psi... so i got arps, egr delete, new oil cooler and i did the vc-9 flush before hand etc... and switched to cat elc coolant. now i run stock maybe a trans only tune once in a while for the check engine light.... anyone know why my 04 model has the code after egr delete thought they weren'tsupposed to get them?
That sux man, sorry to hear about your new experience. I wonder if the previous owner of the truck had an edge or banks programmer, those things were partly responsible for 6.0's getting a bad rap(head bolt killers)

06' F250 CC SR SB FX4 AT

post #10 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
gearhead SRL. i have tried them all and his SRL tune is the best all around imo..

WRECKED EM DAMN NEAR KILLED EM! 2005 f250 ccsb 4x4 Studded, 03 turbo w/billet wheel, AFE stage2, 5"diamond eye, BPD egr cooler & "NEW" external oil cooler, BPD 48v FICM, BPD water pump, BPD aluminum radiator, 6.4 banjo's, blue spring, HFCM e-z drain, riff raff boots, gearhead srl tune , PHP FICM tune, sct livewire 5015, updated stc, updated stand pipes & dummy plugs, updated oil feed & drain, Zerex ELC coolant, Pro Comp 6" lift, 325/70/17 Toyo open country at

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode