Any advice on improved gas mileage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any advice on improved gas mileage?

I am running a 04 F250 C/C SWB with the 6.0 powerstroke. I installed a SCT Tuner (+60 hp), AFE Intake and performance exhaust. My mileage is down to about 11.5 in the city. Any ideas on how to improve the mpg some. $4.00/ per gallon sucks right now. Any ideas is greatly appreciated!

04 F250 C/C SWB
6.0 POWERSTROKE
SCT TUNER
AFE INTAKE
PERFORMANCE EXHAUST
305/65/18 BFG AT'S
18' MB MOTORING RIMS
FRONT & REAR REPLACEMENT BUMPERS
texasleo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
eazenutz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KC MO
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
custom tunes for your SCT, maybe new fuel filters, and go easier on the skinny pedal

in my 05, lifted, with 37's.....running short stop and go trips all last week I still got over 17mpg never being on the highway more than 15 minutes at a time and driving around 30-40 on the norm.

2005F250 4x4 CC/SB

-un-important stuff...lifted, 20's, 37's, exhaust, SCT, gauges, AFE, ZooDad, horns, tint, dvd, AV, speakers,...

-IMPORTANT stuff....1yr. old Peyten riding along with me in the back seat and his pregnant mommy in the passenger seat......due May 2010!!!
eazenutz33 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Mike6176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazenutz33 View Post
custom tunes for your SCT, maybe new fuel filters, and go easier on the skinny pedal

in my 05, lifted, with 37's.....running short stop and go trips all last week I still got over 17mpg never being on the highway more than 15 minutes at a time and driving around 30-40 on the norm.
Hand calculated or computer?

2004 F250 6.0L CC, SRW, FX4
San Antonio, TX
Mike6176 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
eazenutz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KC MO
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
hand.....I dont have one of those spiffy com-pooter dealies in ma t-ruck!

I kept the boost around 10 or under, didnt try to be a speed racer from every stoplight or on ramp, and was mindful of my rpms....I've been having real good luck with my truck lately, especially since running AMSoil oil, filter, fuel filters, diesel additive, and cetane boost. I put a hair over 18 gallons on 309 and some change miles....thats same pump both fillups, and filling until I viewed diesel in the fuel neck.

I had to figure the miles by hand also....my truck's speedo is calibrated for my old tires at 609 revs/mile and my new tires are 565 revs/mile...so I had to multiply by 1.078 to correctly figure my total miles.

OK, my brain hurts, back to not thinking again! ahaha

2005F250 4x4 CC/SB

-un-important stuff...lifted, 20's, 37's, exhaust, SCT, gauges, AFE, ZooDad, horns, tint, dvd, AV, speakers,...

-IMPORTANT stuff....1yr. old Peyten riding along with me in the back seat and his pregnant mommy in the passenger seat......due May 2010!!!
eazenutz33 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
eazenutz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KC MO
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
forgot to add...had my stuntbike in the bed the entire time.... so the trucks testosterone levels were probably elevated! lol

2005F250 4x4 CC/SB

-un-important stuff...lifted, 20's, 37's, exhaust, SCT, gauges, AFE, ZooDad, horns, tint, dvd, AV, speakers,...

-IMPORTANT stuff....1yr. old Peyten riding along with me in the back seat and his pregnant mommy in the passenger seat......due May 2010!!!
eazenutz33 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Mike6176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazenutz33 View Post
hand.....I dont have one of those spiffy com-pooter dealies in ma t-ruck!

I kept the boost around 10 or under, didnt try to be a speed racer from every stoplight or on ramp, and was mindful of my rpms....I've been having real good luck with my truck lately, especially since running AMSoil oil, filter, fuel filters, diesel additive, and cetane boost. I put a hair over 18 gallons on 309 and some change miles....thats same pump both fillups, and filling until I viewed diesel in the fuel neck.

I had to figure the miles by hand also....my truck's speedo is calibrated for my old tires at 609 revs/mile and my new tires are 565 revs/mile...so I had to multiply by 1.078 to correctly figure my total miles.

OK, my brain hurts, back to not thinking again! ahaha
Yeah, you made my brain hurt as well!! That's some awesome mileage. Having to drive the Passat right now b/c of the high fuel prices. Its fun to drive but it just too quiet!

2004 F250 6.0L CC, SRW, FX4
San Antonio, TX
Mike6176 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Premium Member
 
stroken04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shawnee, OK
Posts: 4,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
+1 for the fuel filter, also make sure your air filter is clean. if your like me your biggest problem is your right foot
stroken04 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
eazenutz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KC MO
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6176 View Post
Yeah, you made my brain hurt as well!! That's some awesome mileage. Having to drive the Passat right now b/c of the high fuel prices. Its fun to drive but it just too quiet!
dont feel bad....I looked at a Jetta TDI yesterday thinking man..I wonder if I could hook an SCT up to THAT!

I cerally considering ordering a tank of dyed diesel for the "farm" in addition to the one thats actually for the farm! I've yet to hear of any popo's EVEN CARRYING anything with em to dip your tank!
If I do I'm gonna get a locking fuel cap and locking fuel lid....pretty sure in Missouri you have to have a warrant to open any locked area of a personal vehicle....including trunk, glovebox, .....and hopefully fuel cap! If not, "I forgot my key at home since I only fill up once a week if that." Most cops are lazy enough to not persue it further.

2005F250 4x4 CC/SB

-un-important stuff...lifted, 20's, 37's, exhaust, SCT, gauges, AFE, ZooDad, horns, tint, dvd, AV, speakers,...

-IMPORTANT stuff....1yr. old Peyten riding along with me in the back seat and his pregnant mommy in the passenger seat......due May 2010!!!
eazenutz33 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazenutz33 View Post
dont feel bad....I looked at a Jetta TDI yesterday thinking man..I wonder if I could hook an SCT up to THAT!

I cerally considering ordering a tank of dyed diesel for the "farm" in addition to the one thats actually for the farm! I've yet to hear of any popo's EVEN CARRYING anything with em to dip your tank!
If I do I'm gonna get a locking fuel cap and locking fuel lid....pretty sure in Missouri you have to have a warrant to open any locked area of a personal vehicle....including trunk, glovebox, .....and hopefully fuel cap! If not, "I forgot my key at home since I only fill up once a week if that." Most cops are lazy enough to not persue it further.
just remember one tank if red dye and they will know it forever, and here in Iowa its 10,000 fine and federal tax evasion, that red dye lines everything

Last edited by knobby; 03-18-2008 at 05:48 PM.
knobby is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
CLIPPERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE Missouri
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have also heard stories of the DOT testing fuel tanks in Ag related areas, like sale barns. I think the fines are pretty steep in Missouri too? I have also heard that any mechanic must report it if any evidence is found or the mechanic can get fined?

2003 F250 6.0 CrewCab 4x4 XLT
Stock

CLIPPERS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome