FAILED PUMP TORN DOWN PIC HEAVY! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
FAILED PUMP TORN DOWN PIC HEAVY!

OK got a 04 in today with a no start. had low icp code so first thing I did was trusty dusty air test. this was late 04 so icp is on pass side valve cover. Applied shop air and put ipr at 94% and heard no air leaks at all. So I dropped ipr to 0% and heard it exhaust so I ramped up ipr to 94% in stages and could not get it to close. Pulled ipr and there was no screen GONE! Looked inside ipr hole with bore scope and empty no screen? Installed new ipr and redid air test this time it followed commands! Tried to start and nothing ipr at 85% and no fire in the holes!! Redid air test and nothing no air heard so I remove oil filter cap and gurgle gurgle HUMM there ya go!! So this time I really want to know whats going on inside the pump!!! What is going bad! This is what I found. Pics will be in order of how I took it apart! notice the clip impressions in back of pump plate!

AND THIS IS HOW THE AIR PASSES FROM HIGH PRESSURE OIL SIDE TO LOW PRESSURE

THIS IS A GOOD ONE

THIS IS THE LAY OUT NOTICE OFFSET

Call me anal but I like to know what fails and understand why it fails rather than just replace things because there bad! I hope you guys and gals like this!

Last edited by JUGERNAUT; 06-06-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nice Dale. Can you rebuild that pump?

Oh yeah you said input welcome in that one pic. Well my input is wear surgical gloves or clean under your nails. LMAO. I know I know it is impossible to keep your Delta Bravo's clean when working on vehicles. Just giving you chit.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Nice Dale. Can you rebuild that pump?

Oh yeah you said input welcome in that one pic. Well my input is wear surgical gloves or clean under your nails. LMAO. I know I know it is impossible to keep your Delta Bravo's clean when working on vehicles. Just giving you chit.
lmfao got me again!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
Call me anal but I like to know what fails and understand why it fails rather than just replace things because there bad! I hope you guys and gals like this!
I like it I wanted to do this with the last one I had as well but boss wanted to core charge back so no go. I have always wondered what they looked like inside. Also are there rebuild kits avalible? I would think someone has to have somthing for these with the companys that rebuild and modify the pumps. I would like to get my hands on a rebuild kit and try it.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Great work dale. Very detailed buddy thumbs up.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
I like it I wanted to do this with the last one I had as well but boss wanted to core charge back so no go. I have always wondered what they looked like inside. Also are there rebuild kits avalible? I would think someone has to have somthing for these with the companys that rebuild and modify the pumps. I would like to get my hands on a rebuild kit and try it.
I would imagine there are but the peace that is bad is part of the whole housing so it is wasted! This is a core and will go back in peace's lol.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cr450 View Post
Great work dale. Very detailed buddy thumbs up.
Thanks Greg curiosity kills me not the cat!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine looked the same on the inside just not that much scoring around the plungers. It would only build 1500 psi before the ipr would climb. Hell the guy at ford asked me if I took it apart I said yes they know me way to well not to tear stuff apart.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 04 E350 late model and the HPOP went in Dec. The outer cylinder of the compression head(my words because I have no idea what that part is called) seem to rotate during a failure. I wondered why there is no key way to prevent that item from turning. There must be a lot of torque when it is at pressure. Six months before the failure I had started running my SCT a little harder. Also I had lost pressure in OCT because of the housing port ball had been pushed out. The mod I did to fix the ball from coming out was to tap the hole and put a brass plug in it. All that being said I though I caused the over pressure that caused the "compression head) to rotate. After seeing the exact same failure in your pics I am now sure it is something different.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One other note that I have a question on, what happens to the alloy that is ripped off of that pump. I think it is what causes the damage you label as from cavitation. Then all that metal is sent tot he injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.