ECM changed strategy on its own or problem with SCT???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECM changed strategy on its own or problem with SCT????

My ECM was swapped out for a new one and the the engine strategy changed to VXCF9CA. It was this way for about 2 weeks. The batteries went dead at the Ford dealership when they were working on 4x4 vacuum leak. Now I connected my SCT 5015 Livewire to the truck and it was having an error uploading my tunes. I checked the engine strategy and it now reads my old strategy VXCF4C3. How the hell did this happen???? I know the Ford mechanic and he said no flash tool was ever hooked up to my truck. Anyone else have this problem?

2005 Dark Blue F-250 Harley Davidson 4x4. SCT Livewire TS, 4" Silverline TBE, Sinister intake elbow, Riff Raff turbo boots, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Sinister coolant filter, Fleetguard OAT, IPR EGR delete, ARP studs.

1998 Dodge Viper GTS. Silver/Blue stripes 1 of 21: Corsa exhaust, high flow cats, K&N filters, smooth tubes
post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's really weird. How do you know for sure the newer VXCF9 was ever on there? I would expect it never was?

I would never believe a ford dealer at their word that they didn't or won't do a reflash, but they wouldn't reflash to an older strat I would not think. Strange one! I'd keep the VXCF4, I think that's a better flash! Your tuner can update your tunes easy. Php website has a lot of good info on the different strategies

06-King/Deavers/37s/AF 22x12s/4:56/F/R Detroits/Road Armors/Warn12k/155/30s, MTW S1Billet/GoGo Manifold/Banks IC/NADP Heavy Hauler Trans/PHP tow Tune/BPD HD oil cooler/Oil & Coolant bypass/AMP steps/TransferFlow tank-toolbox

post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know the mechanic personally and I could tell that the OBD port was never touched. I know the VXCF9CA strategy was there because my SCT read it off the new ECM. Not sure how it would revert back to the other strategy. There is problems with my Livewire and it needs an update that SCT has to remotely update through my computer. Not sure if it is having trouble reading the correct strategy or not.

According to Quick Tricks, they prefer the newer strategies and get the best results from them.

2005 Dark Blue F-250 Harley Davidson 4x4. SCT Livewire TS, 4" Silverline TBE, Sinister intake elbow, Riff Raff turbo boots, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Sinister coolant filter, Fleetguard OAT, IPR EGR delete, ARP studs.

1998 Dodge Viper GTS. Silver/Blue stripes 1 of 21: Corsa exhaust, high flow cats, K&N filters, smooth tubes
post #4 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I would think a brand new ECM would need to be programmed by the dealer?

2006 F-450 XLT 4x4 Auto 4.30L Alcoa 19.5" 16,000 GVWR
Kelderman 4-Link/4-Bag Rear Suspension, Lariat Seats, '08 Console, '11 Mirrors, CTS, SCT X3
ARP's w/OEM HG, BPD 6ph FICM @ 58v, BPD Oil Cooler w/stat, Ported Intake, 185 amp Alt
P-Max w/WPE billet wheel, Spearco IC, 4" Banks Exhaust, Shell T6, Zerex EC-1, Oil bypass filter

48,000 miles
post #5 of 6 Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you put your truck back to stock BEFORE getting gthe new ECM? If not that is the most likely the source of your problems.

As for the strategy that the SCT device see's is dependent on the strategy your tune writer based his tune on.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invasivore View Post
My ECM was swapped out for a new one and the the engine strategy changed to VXCF9CA. It was this way for about 2 weeks. The batteries went dead at the Ford dealership when they were working on 4x4 vacuum leak. Now I connected my SCT 5015 Livewire to the truck and it was having an error uploading my tunes. I checked the engine strategy and it now reads my old strategy VXCF4C3. How the hell did this happen???? I know the Ford mechanic and he said no flash tool was ever hooked up to my truck. Anyone else have this problem?
If your PCM was swapped out while it was still tuned, then your tuner is locked to the old PCM. You need to send your tuner into SCT to get it unlocked give them a call 866-637-1672 ext 291. Also, if you swapped PCMs and the box codes do not match, DO NOT flash with them! Trust me on this. If the box codes are different, you need to have the tunes remade.

If you go into Vehicle Info and Device Info and type everything out we can figure out what's going on.

Last edited by SoCal60; 06-03-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode