ECM changed strategy on its own or problem with SCT???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECM changed strategy on its own or problem with SCT????

My ECM was swapped out for a new one and the the engine strategy changed to VXCF9CA. It was this way for about 2 weeks. The batteries went dead at the Ford dealership when they were working on 4x4 vacuum leak. Now I connected my SCT 5015 Livewire to the truck and it was having an error uploading my tunes. I checked the engine strategy and it now reads my old strategy VXCF4C3. How the hell did this happen???? I know the Ford mechanic and he said no flash tool was ever hooked up to my truck. Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's really weird. How do you know for sure the newer VXCF9 was ever on there? I would expect it never was?

I would never believe a ford dealer at their word that they didn't or won't do a reflash, but they wouldn't reflash to an older strat I would not think. Strange one! I'd keep the VXCF4, I think that's a better flash! Your tuner can update your tunes easy. Php website has a lot of good info on the different strategies
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 AM

I know the mechanic personally and I could tell that the OBD port was never touched. I know the VXCF9CA strategy was there because my SCT read it off the new ECM. Not sure how it would revert back to the other strategy. There is problems with my Livewire and it needs an update that SCT has to remotely update through my computer. Not sure if it is having trouble reading the correct strategy or not.

According to Quick Tricks, they prefer the newer strategies and get the best results from them.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I would think a brand new ECM would need to be programmed by the dealer?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you put your truck back to stock BEFORE getting gthe new ECM? If not that is the most likely the source of your problems.

As for the strategy that the SCT device see's is dependent on the strategy your tune writer based his tune on.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invasivore View Post
My ECM was swapped out for a new one and the the engine strategy changed to VXCF9CA. It was this way for about 2 weeks. The batteries went dead at the Ford dealership when they were working on 4x4 vacuum leak. Now I connected my SCT 5015 Livewire to the truck and it was having an error uploading my tunes. I checked the engine strategy and it now reads my old strategy VXCF4C3. How the hell did this happen???? I know the Ford mechanic and he said no flash tool was ever hooked up to my truck. Anyone else have this problem?
If your PCM was swapped out while it was still tuned, then your tuner is locked to the old PCM. You need to send your tuner into SCT to get it unlocked give them a call 866-637-1672 ext 291. Also, if you swapped PCMs and the box codes do not match, DO NOT flash with them! Trust me on this. If the box codes are different, you need to have the tunes remade.

If you go into Vehicle Info and Device Info and type everything out we can figure out what's going on.

Last edited by SoCal60; 06-03-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.