Swapping Tunes Daily? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Swapping Tunes Daily?

Quick Question...... I know it is probably a newbie question, but I figured i'd ask for my own knowledge.

Is there any problem with swapping between tunes on a day to day basis?

I find myself lately changing between my heavy tow and street tune often. Sometimes I do it daily or every other day.

Runs good on both, but my street tune is deff not up to the task of towing and my tow tune is smokey if I am heavy footing it around town.

Just trying to see if there are any known issues with doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fifty View Post
Quick Question...... I know it is probably a newbie question, but I figured i'd ask for my own knowledge.

Is there any problem with swapping between tunes on a day to day basis?

I find myself lately changing between my heavy tow and street tune often. Sometimes I do it daily or every other day.

Runs good on both, but my street tune is deff not up to the task of towing and my tow tune is smokey if I am heavy footing it around town.

Just trying to see if there are any known issues with doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.....
Very good question but I believe if done on a daily basses I would make sure you have a backed up stock file on your pc.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Couldn't you get someone to write a multipurpose tune?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Very good question but I believe if done on a daily basses I would make sure you have a backed up stock file on your pc.

I have done more than 4 in a day for testing a number of times. I usually don't see any issues, except for the occasional shifting issues, but only on very OLD tunes and usually only until all the gears have been run through once. However, I do know at some point there will be a glitch that will require a master reboot or a stock reload to bring it back. It really becomes more of a PITA to have to keep switching with the potential risk that it entails.

My best economy tune is not my Extreme tune, but a mid tune with advance timing and boost that is just high enough to clean up my injectors. I guess I could get a tune reworked to be only extreme with the APS at 75% or greater. The same could be said for towing and performance, recognizing the requirement to not be too tempted to light the burners.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM

I run a performance file and do not deviate even when towing. I just watch my EGTs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post

I have done more than 4 in a day for testing a number of times. I usually don't see any issues, except for the occasional shifting issues, but only on very OLD tunes and usually only until all the gears have been run through once. However, I do know at some point there will be a glitch that will require a master reboot or a stock reload to bring it back. It really becomes more of a PITA to have to keep switching with the potential risk that it entails.

My best economy tune is not my Extreme tune, but a mid tune with advance timing and boost that is just high enough to clean up my injectors. I guess I could get a tune reworked to be only extreme with the APS at 75% or greater. The same could be said for towing and performance, recognizing the requirement to not be too tempted to light the burners.
What you said has happened to me and i had to reformat sct device and reprogram my truck with my ids so i understand what your sayin two!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
I run a performance file and do not deviate even when towing. I just watch my EGTs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Isn't the problem towing with a hot tune the ICP and other issues besides EGT?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For day to day the PCM will be trying write the tables. If you keep swapping the parameters around it will just keep writing the tables with no conclusion.

I for one find it takes upwards of two weeks for tuning to settle in the PCM. I tow a boat so I keep an eye on the EGTs with my street file. I have a heavy tow tune loaded as stock on my PCM when needed.

I think you need some new tuning of just learn to stick with one file for your daily needs.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
For day to day the PCM will be trying write the tables. If you keep swapping the parameters around it will just keep writing the tables with no conclusion.

I for one find it takes upwards of two weeks for tuning to settle in the PCM. I tow a boat so I keep an eye on the EGTs with my street file. I have a heavy tow tune loaded as stock on my PCM when needed.

I think you need some new tuning of just learn to stick with one file for your daily needs.
I feel the same way
Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have my stock file on my laptop and my PC.Guess I could also save it to my phone for a worst case scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.