Headstuds 1, Me 0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headstuds 1, Me 0

Well, on the way home last week they blew on me. I had been slowly adding coolant since I got the truck (used) about 2 months ago. On a full throttle run up a ramp I noticed some white smoke and a coolant smell. When i got to the house it was all over the driver side fenderwell. The coolant bottle was almost empty (again). All the truck has on it is a 4" exhaust and a airaide intake. No chip. It is a early model of the 05 (made in December 04) so I guess it has the older turbo on it and older style headbolt torque pattern. Who knows.

The good news is the dealership is putting in the ARP's for me. So hopefully now it will be nice and reliable for the rest of it's life and when I get around to getting a SCT tuner, I can run whatever tune I want as long as the egt's stay safe. It all comes down to paying $600 now under warranty or 3k later not under warranty. LOL By the way the truck only has 75k miles on it. The oasis did show the head gaskets already getting replaced once and the egr cooler getting replaced once. I must have gotten a good one. LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
Well, on the way home last week they blew on me. I had been slowly adding coolant since I got the truck (used) about 2 months ago. On a full throttle run up a ramp I noticed some white smoke and a coolant smell. When i got to the house it was all over the driver side fenderwell. The coolant bottle was almost empty (again). All the truck has on it is a 4" exhaust and a airaide intake. No chip. It is a early model of the 05 (made in December 04) so I guess it has the older turbo on it and older style headbolt torque pattern. Who knows.

The good news is the dealership is putting in the ARP's for me. So hopefully now it will be nice and reliable for the rest of it's life and when I get around to getting a SCT tuner, I can run whatever tune I want as long as the egt's stay safe. It all comes down to paying $600 now under warranty or 3k later not under warranty. LOL By the way the truck only has 75k miles on it. The oasis did show the head gaskets already getting replaced once and the egr cooler getting replaced once. I must have gotten a good one. LOL

Congrats on the Dealer Installed ARP's.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Congratulations I always like to hear "nice" dealer stories

Thanks,
Vivian
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM

SCORE! I hope my dealer is that cool!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, got the truck back this past Friday. No white smoke a crank-up anymore and it seems to crank cold a lot easier as well. That may be due to the new program they loaded up on it though. (My old one would cycle the injectors at turn-off, but this new one doesn't.) I ended up with a new EGR cooler, new gaskets and seals. 1 new head (it was warped), the other was re-used since it was still within the acceptable tolerances. The ARPs are now in there too. Not to mention the free oil changes and the new coolant. He did say he checked the oil cooler, but it was fine.

First impressions: The truck seems to run a lot better now and blows no smoke at any time. It does feel a little slower and I haven't checked the mpg yet. I was going to give the new programming some time before I checked the mpg too seriously. It does crank a lot better for the first start of the day, though.

Now, just have to get me a programmer for this thing.

Props to the dealership as well. They gave me 0 hassel and actually recommended the ARP's. They have earned my business from now on for sure.

Quick question, though, has anyone ever blown a gasket with the ARP's in? Just wondering what it would take... I am guessing towing a heavy load with a hot tune. Just making sure I don't have to worry about it when I get a tuner now. I would love to run a Looney file or a xtreme street file as my daily driver. Any other recommendations for excellent programs for the SCT are welcome.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
and in what city is this gem of a dealership?

I might have to make a road trip.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 AM

DiscountPowerParts.com sells alot of ARP's to many dealerships. There is one in georgia, I cant remember the exact location, they buy them weekly. Glad you got your rig back quick.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmmotorsports View Post
and in what city is this gem of a dealership?

I might have to make a road trip.
Woodstock, GA.

Summit Racing has a huge warehouse in McDonough, GA and they got the studs overnighted up the dealership for me. I paid like $700ish for everything (including the warranty deductible, head studs, shipping, tax, etc...) You could save even more money if you get them from one of the vendors on here before hand... I just didn't have time to deal with it on my truck. I figured that was a good deal considering what it would cost to get it done outside of warranty. Plus it gives me a lot more piece of mind about the motor.

Last edited by rojo; 03-17-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 AM

Dang that sounds very firmiliar. Dont mention the name of the dealership...let me call down and see what the name DPP sells them too.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Dang that sounds very firmiliar. Dont mention the name of the dealership...let me call down and see what the name DPP sells them too.
If you want specific names/phone numbers/etc.. just pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.