FICM upgrade/core - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FICM upgrade/core

Here's my dilemma, Looking at getting a 58v FICM and my oem one is going south (when I start the truck its around 35v then after warming up a while and driving will bounce between 47.5-49v) I'm looking into the 58v due to living in Montana and plugging in is not always an option and cold starts between 20 to -20 or so are also not uncommon for 6 months out of the year so figured the 58v would give me better cold start benefits.

The problem is that my truck is my DD and only form of transportation and every company I've seen for an aftermarket FICM wants you to send in your core before they will send you a new one or update yours and send it back and I really can't afford to be down without a truck for a week or more. Was going to call a few of the local shops around here and see if they would have one laying around I could use as a core then give them mine once the new one comes in but are there any other options out there? I know I could do the BPD but was really looking into Swamps 58v FICM.

So basically is there any company out there that I can buy a 58v FICM (maybe with a tune), while keeping my OEM FICM until I get the new one?

Sorry for the long post and hopefully somebody knows a way around having to send my OEM FICM in and being stuck without a rig.

Thanks

Last edited by 406to907; 05-27-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ficmrepair I beleave will send you one out before the get your core and they do tunes. But they don't do the 58v mod . Ed is a great guy to deal with tho
Old 05-27-2013, 03:20 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
even though the BPD 58v ficm is a little expensive i can almost guarantee it will be the last ficm you purchase. everything inside of it is military grade electronics and the cnc billet shell reduces heat compared to a stock unit. i have the 4 phase 48 volt and it is a great unit always runs 49v. if you decide to get the BPD unit you can rent a ficm tuner from php for 150 program it then mail it back within a week
Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The FICM you'll never fix again. No core necessary
FICM Bullet Proof Fuel Injection Control Module Update
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Keep in mind a vast majority of FICM failures are due to the power supply board so even though your FICM is showing signs that its failing I can almost guaranty that the logic side of your FICM is fine. I would buy the BPD FICM power supply upgrade (I HIGHLY recommend setting it to 58 volts). Other FICM suppliers just re-solder the OEM crap circuit board and send it back so what's the point of buying that? You can swap in the new BPD FICM 58 volt power supply in about 15 minutes tops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Term3; 05-27-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 PM

At this point FICM Repair is looking like the most feasible and realistic option, the BPD one would be sweet but a pretty heavy price tag...Should I go with the Atlas 40 tune while I'm at it? I'm pretty much stock minus edge CTS insight and 5" turbo back exhaust. Planning on doing EGR delete and SCT down the road. Will the Atlas 40 be worth doing now or after the tuner?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406to907 View Post
At this point FICM Repair is looking like the most feasible and realistic option, the BPD one would be sweet but a pretty heavy price tag...Should I go with the Atlas 40 tune while I'm at it? I'm pretty much stock minus edge CTS insight and 5" turbo back exhaust. Planning on doing EGR delete and SCT down the road. Will the Atlas 40 be worth doing now or after the tuner?
Listen, the BEST FICM repair job with their best warranty is going to set you back $500. Why not just buy the 48v 4 Phase BPD FICM for $500 and NEVER worry about it again. You don't NEED a 58v FICM and if you were to run one at 58v the only one I would EVER recommend doing so with would be the BPD unit. The OEM boards and components aren't designed to run with such high voltage and current flowing through them and often burn up so badly that you will end up having to buy yet another FICM. Do it right the first time and be done with it. BPD all the way.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ed at ficm repair will do an exchange, so you don't have any downtime. After your rebuilt ficm is installed, just ship your old ficm back and you are done.

Yea, the Atlas 40 is worth doing before your tuner.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 PM

I would go with the BPD ficm over the swamps I have a 1.5 year old swamps 58 volt ficm that drops to 46V every morning and has started to flucuate alot while driving. Due to this I am now looking into a BPD ficm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the reply's and insight on this. I went with FICM Repairs premium package 48v FICM with Lifetime guarantee/warranty with the ATLAS 40 tune and will be installing the "Blue Spring" along with it. Should be here by Friday so I can get it all put together Friday evening. Feels like I've been hemorrhaging 100 dollar bills lately for this truck...Gotta pay to play though, next up EGR delete, SCT Tuner, Coolant filter kit, EGT and fuel pressure gauges...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.