Having a tune on stock head bolts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Having a tune on stock head bolts

Hello

I got my truck in the shop and wanted to know how many people have a good quality custom tune on their stock headbolt/gasket 6.0L and haven't had issues in the long term. I am speaking for Economy and Tow tunes not the super high horsepower ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't go getting crazy with it should be your thoughts. It's not a sure thing it won't pop but you never know. I drove with a chip then changed to SCT tuning with no major issues.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Its a chance either way. People run extreme tunes with stock bolts and fair out great and then others blow HG and stretch bolts stock or a moderate tune. Its your gamble but alot of tuners know the limits when they tune.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm interested in this as well. I've got a relatively new to me truck, but have already installed a BPD cooler and EGR delete since I got it. With the EGR cooler out of the picture and the OEM cooler gone how much of a concern is high cylinder pressures (since the threat of coolant dumping back in is gone)?

I guess the main question I have is, can guys with BPD and EGR delete run a little hotter tunes?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
N.S.D.Q.

It's not a clear answer. There have been so many guys running stock that have had issues. Some people had zero to minor issues running tuned on stock bolts.
Whoever you choose for the tuning should make the tune mild enough for stock bolts and give you a nice power bump.
I'd say since you got the EGR delete done you have one up on the problem.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I ran Matt Robinson's SRL tune from gear head automotive on my 6.0 daily for 25k miles and wasn't easy on it really. Just did my maintenance and made sure it was up to temp. I had my egr deleted also. But it's no guarantee. It's hit or miss and depends on previous maintenance also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Didn't figure there'd be a straight simple easy answer on the stock bolt questions. It seems from everything I've read over the past couple weeks as though there are good (even great pushing 500 rwhp) ones and bad ones. I'm currently running the canned SCT XF3 economy tune which is by itself without a trailer is a marked improvement. I was screwing around the other day pushing the brake and the skinny pedal at the same time could break the tires loose at 25 MPH (overcame the rear brakes, around 22 psi boost). In reality I was just trying to test the boots on the CAC tubes (after reading reports of blowing boost tubes) before hooking up my camper, didn't expect to break the tires loose. I'm gaining confidence in applying a higher HP tune, just don't want to push it too far and screw up my summer camping season. by breaking the truck.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Here's some more reading for you.

How far on stock head bolts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.