What is required for 500 rwhp? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is required for 500 rwhp?

I'm a big car guy, but most of my experience is with 5.0 Mustangs back in the early and late 90's. I just bought my 6.0 about a year ago, and love it. I did tons of research and was lucky enough to find one that had already been bullet proofed, and is in great shape.

I have done a few mods for reliability, including the CTS, coolant filter, blue spring mod, and changed out all of the fluids and filters. Love this truck! I bought it because I figured I'd trade the rv in on a toy hauler at some point, as I was a motocross guy. But, at 46 years old, I was getting hurt too much. So, about six months after I bought the truck, all of the bikes are gone. lol For that reason, I don't do any towing at this point but want to make sure that I am able to if needed.

I've done a lot of research (I'm definitely a forum junkie), but the information is all over the place. I'd be very interested in what it takes to make 500 rwhp, and how some of you have done it. This forum is great, love all of the great info.

I'm also very interested in how your tranny has help up, how the truck drives, some info on what it might cost to do it, and if you felt like you would do it differently next time.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 AM

A small set of injectors (155/175s) and the right turbo will get you there. I did 557/1206 on 190/75s and a stage 2, and did 530/1149 on 190s and a stock turbo. I've been on a stock tranny for over a year now. And I've had the stage 3 for about 2 weeks now. Tranny is still holding fine. Still shifts firm no delay in reverse. Granted i don't drive it like an idiot day to do, but I do romp on it occasionally.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looks like you are on the right track getting the basic reliability mods done first. An SCT tuner with custom tunes will get you close to 450 rwhp. If you want 500, injectors are pretty much a must. I would say a set of 175s is your best bet, with a matching turbo, MTW billet hybrid, or a 62 or 64 mm nonVGT. My truck with 155/100s and the old powermax that everyone hates, was running consistent 13.1 @ 101, putting it around 520rwhp.

Since you don't tow, if I were you I would get some 175/75s and a 64/68/.83 nonVGT with divided up-pipes. IT would be easy to tune, not super expensive, should keep your stock tranny going if you don't drive like me, and could still tow small to moderate loads.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Geat info guys, thank you. It's nice to see how others have done it, and to try to learn the ins and outs of it from their personal experience.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM
N.S.D.Q.

The same concepts you used for the 'Stangs you will apply to the diesel. Improve the airflow, add fuel, adjust the tuning, then sit back and enjoy the ride.

HOW you make those changes is where the challenges come out. What works for one will not work for another. Keep it simple. Add only what you really need, not what others want to sell you. I had a buddy that wanted 500+ for towing. By the end of all the sales pitches he was staring at a $10K build. YEA...$10k. A lot of parts not needed, just being sold for profit.

Personally I suggest a ported/modded intake manifold first. After that the additional gains from a turbo and injectors are put to good use. There's 100 ways to skin a cat.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
The same concepts you used for the 'Stangs you will apply to the diesel. Improve the airflow, add fuel, adjust the tuning, then sit back and enjoy the ride.

HOW you make those changes is where the challenges come out. What works for one will not work for another. Keep it simple. Add only what you really need, not what others want to sell you. I had a buddy that wanted 500+ for towing. By the end of all the sales pitches he was staring at a $10K build. YEA...$10k. A lot of parts not needed, just being sold for profit.

Personally I suggest a ported/modded intake manifold first. After that the additional gains from a turbo and injectors are put to good use. There's 100 ways to skin a cat.
Exactly! That is the purpose of this thread. You guys know a lot about these trucks, and I can learn a lot from you.

Diesels are so much different from gas motors on how they make power. Some of the concepts are the same, but in my supercharged Mustang days, all more fuel did was make the car slower (unless you needed it to go along wtih extra air flow).

It's an awesome thought to have a 13 second truck that can still seat five, tow when I need it to, is big and safe, but still be fun to work on and maintain.

Thanks for everyone's input, I truly appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
Exactly! That is the purpose of this thread. You guys know a lot about these trucks, and I can learn a lot from you.

Diesels are so much different from gas motors on how they make power. Some of the concepts are the same, but in my supercharged Mustang days, all more fuel did was make the car slower (unless you needed it to go along wtih extra air flow).

It's an awesome thought to have a 13 second truck that can still seat five, tow when I need it to, is big and safe, but still be fun to work on and maintain.

Thanks for everyone's input, I truly appreciate it.
This is the same thoughts with a diesel. There is a break even point at some time. Build more boost running clean and the power will be there.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM

my track times had me at 530 with 200's and a pmax.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
This is the same thoughts with a diesel. There is a break even point at some time. Build more boost running clean and the power will be there.
I guess what I was getting at is how compression ignition engines make power linearly to the amount of fuel they get. Adding more fuel can make a much bigger amount of power than it would in one of my old Mustangs. But, I fully understand what you are saying in that I need to address it end to end: intake, fuel, ignition, exhaust, etc.

It's just that they can make more power with simple tuning than I'm used to no the gas side.

It's a whole new world for me and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.