egr delete question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr delete question

I'm seriously considering dropping a lot of money on my truck....doing everything right from the get go. While researching bullet proofing the 6.0, I've found one of the main things to do is an egr delete. I live in Massachusetts and emissions isn't an issue, also It's an '03 so I've been told it won't throw codes but my question is...on the sinister web site it says that a egr delete is illegal EVERYWHERE! any vehicle that's registered with an egr delete can be fined up to $30,000...only legal for off road use. How can I do this legally??? Or is it illegal...and I just gotta hope I don't get caught??? It definitely sounds like the way to go but...idk, any input??? New to being a diesel owner and like I said wanna do it right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Removing or altering any emissions equipment is illegal by FEDERAL law. So yes, no matter where you live it is illegal. However, a majority of us who have deleted the catalytic converter and egr system live in an area where this law is rarely enforced. In Wisconsin, the only reason a sheriff or trooper will cite your exhaust is if you are an A-hole with straight pipes blasting down the road and people complain (Read: 1990's era Chevy/GMC pickup with dual 2" straight pipes, excessively large Bowtie rear window sticker, and rubber hanging testicles)
Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM

You'be done a delete huh? How hard was it? I'm ok with my hands, no pro but....would you recommend doing head studs first? Just don't wanna mess anything up the trucks only got 28k on it so survival is key
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
these trucks are extremely shade tree friendly...all the stories seem intimidating......but once you dive in , it is a breeze !!!!!!

contact "Tuscany" on here for any real questions, but man these trucks are super easy to work on.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

I did an EGR delete on my 2004 excursion and it wasnt to hard, just wish I would have opted to go for the head studs at the same time, but I didnt have the cash so I am just going to wait until I do the injectors and then do the head studs at the same time (unless I blow the heads first) I recommend a sinister diesel coolant filtration system to make the oil cooler last a while longer and to replace the oil cooler with the upgraded oil cooler, also replace the turbo oil feed and drain back tubes to the updated versions (they got to come off anyways), you can tell if you have the old ones or not as the old feed tube has a flex joint in it and the new updated feed tube is a stainless steel line w/out a flex joint. The Drain tube is smaller than what it needs to be and the updated drain tube fixes this issue. I was also talking to a mechanic and he said to add a 4" exhaust to help with the EGR delete, for a better flow.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it best to do the EGR delete , before adding a programmer?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

yea, in my opinion it is best to add the EGR delete, Air Intake and Exhaust before adding a tuner, Diesel Power just wrote up an article on the subject actually, get the truck "Breathing" better before really adding any upgrades/big horsepower improvements. I installed a Bully Dog on my friends 08 Dodge that was completely stock and it didnt do much other than plug up the DPF faster, but after I put the intake, exhaust and the EGR delete on my Excursion, I borrowed his unit and it worked so much better with improved air flow. just my 2 cents worth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.