after market intake thoughts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
after market intake thoughts

i was also wanting to know what anyone thought of the volant ram air intake kit? i really like the design and the reviews i have read are pretty good but i dont really know much about it and would like some input from you guys, thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
unless you are looking to waste money i would stick with the oem setup nothing filters better and the are good for 500hp. i had the afe sealed stage 2 with the pro guard filter and took it off and sold it, main reason was i had a small oil leak that developed and the guys at bullet proof diesel said to put the oem back on and see if it still leaks well whatta you know stopped leaking? i asked for a reason behind their theory and they really did not have a answer but said that many other customers had the same issue with aftermarket cold air kits and the oem filter setup fixed the leak?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:31 PM

I didnt realize air filters fixed oil leaks... everyone will advise you to stick to stock, which isn't a bad option, but I will adivse you to get one. I dont know about the volant but I have an Afe stage II and I love it. I like being able to access my filter and I like being able to clean it. As far as performance, I definitely noticed a bit of power on my 6 speed and noticed a small jump in fuel economy. It gave me as much seat-of-the-pants power as my 40hp ficm tune
Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisford;5343689[B
]I didnt realize air filters fixed oil leaks[/B]... everyone will advise you to stick to stock, which isn't a bad option, but I will adivse you to get one. I dont know about the volant but I have an Afe stage II and I love it. I like being able to access my filter and I like being able to clean it. As far as performance, I definitely noticed a bit of power on my 6 speed and noticed a small jump in fuel economy. It gave me as much seat-of-the-pants power as my 40hp ficm tune
trust me i thought bullet proof diesel was crazy for advising me to go back to stock but i had a silver dollar size spot on my driveway from every time i drove it, a week after going back to stock nothing at all?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

[IMG][/IMG]

AiRaid washable/reusable filter and the OEM compressor wheel, about 6 years of use in a sandy, dry, dusty area, seems like the AiRaid did it's job as advertised.

Last edited by Karls03; 05-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 PM

I have the Volant on mine.... Not sure if it helps as far as power goes.... But I can tell you this much...

I think my turbo is far louder than other 04.5-07 turbos, both at idle and under acceleration..

Also I love how easy it is to change the filter.. I don't need to spend 45 min and quite a few Politically Incorrect names to get it out... 5 min and I'm done.

I have 2 filters with mine, wash one and keep it on the shelf til it needs changed, then swap em out and wash the dirty one.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

FUK OEM. I've been running an aftermarket air filter intake kit for 70k miles. I haven't ran the Volant kit but Adrian does and it seems like a good kit. In all honesty, the Volant, S&B, or AFE are all good options.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

cool yea i see alot of guys keep the stock, and to each his own im not here to knock anybody and what they do with there truck if it works for them then thats that, i like the volant kit just cause the rest of the kits ive looked at are all more expensive and dont look as nice under the hood. what ill probably end up doing is getting the volant kit and keeping my factory airbox as a back up just in case. thanks for all the input any thing else any one else wants to throw in be my guest, can always use more advice, but lets keep it civil guys, we all love our trucks and we all have our own ways of customizing and making our trucks our own, no reason to bash each others opinions, just learn from everyone.

also aside from the basic intake, exhaust, and programmer upgrades what are some of the best power upgrade at an affordable cost do you guys think? injectors and aftermarket turbo aside... id like to pull about 450 to 500 out of my truck without doing a crazy ton of $3000+ upgrades. and does anyone know the best way to pull more boost from the factory turbo and how much boost the turbo can handle safely? thank a lot guys
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Aftermarket here too. For about 15k miles.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprksonu View Post
trust me i thought bullet proof diesel was crazy for advising me to go back to stock but i had a silver dollar size spot on my driveway from every time i drove it, a week after going back to stock nothing at all?

do you think that maybe the clamp around the turbo inlet was bad on the aftermarket kit and it just wasnt creating the proper seal? cause i had that problem on my 88 supra turbo with the old accordion intake hose and it turned out to be that the metal ring that clamped it on was bad, the metal was all torn up and it wasnt creating a tight seal around the turbo inlet, and the little bit of oil the factory turbo leaked out of the gap where it wasnt sealed properly... just a thought.

after i replaced that metal clamp no more oil leak... then i upgraded the turbo and didnt have to worry about the oil leak at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.