Fuel system thoughts... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel system thoughts...

So I know this subject has been beat to death and there's more than one way to skin a cat ( as Mitch would say...Hope you're doing well buddy!!!) and the subject of always placing the HPFP in between the two spin on filters when used is generally the best way, but what if you're still using the HFCM as the HPFP? I've drawn a couple of setups, one to include the current setup on my truck for ease of understanding.

This is the current setup on my truck. It is the factory fuel bowl/RR on the engine with a 4 micron motorcraft filter, the factory HFCM with a 10 micron filter and two Napa 3405/3528 12 micron water separator and 2 micron fuel filter which are in line from the tank to the HFCM.

My HFCM pump is new and I would like to keep using it and purchased an Aeromotive 13129 FPR so I could do a REAL regulated return and completely eliminate the bowl. This is my desired setup and plan to do the system like this:

My question is, since most people recommend the water separator first, the HPFP, then fuel filter, since I'm running the HFCM with the 10 micron filter, is it necessary to put the filters on either side of the pump like this? The reason I ask is because just like my setup now, the finest filtration is still before the pump and the pump itself has its own filter so is it really necessary?

The who reason I do NOT want to split filters around the pump is simply for ease of maintenance and component location under the truck. I have all the parts to run the setup with the first picture and I don't know that I would need to purchase anything different to split the filters, I just don't really know if I need to. I mean, I don't think I do and it's working great now and has been for the last 20,000 miles.

Any thoughts folks???

Also, keep in mind, I may most likely just run my return line from the Aeromotive FPR back through the original fittings on the HFCM, just with -6AN lines ALL the way back to the tank, although that isn't depicted in any of the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm going with something like your second picture, using a
Bf1212 WS
Fuelab 41401
Bf7633 HE filter

Fuel system thoughts...-imageuploadedbyautoguide1368900014.001536.jpg
Fuel system thoughts...-imageuploadedbyautoguide1368900030.163295.jpg

That's the mount I made, deleting all the factory stuff, using a sump and the fuelab electronic regulator, simply put ill have the filtration and flow to support most anything ill ever have money to buy for the truck lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I see nothing wrong with doing it like your second picture as long as some conditions are met.....er first one that explains what you want to do with the two spin-ons pre pump. If one is filtering to 12 microns and the next to 2 microns, there's no reason to worry about anything getting into the pump, so potentially you could even ditch the filter that's in there and just run it with the cap. However......

The main reason you want to have the pump in between the two spin-ons is so the pump can easily pull the volume of fuel it needs to keep fuel pressure high. The more a filter filters, the lower the flow rate, so there is the potential to starve the pump if the flow rate drops too low from the 2 micron filter. Usually you want the higher-flowing 12 micron pre-pump to keep the volume higher to the pump, then the lower flowing 2 micron post-pump that way the HFCM is helping keep fuel pressure higher by actively pushing fuel through the lower rate filter instead of trying to pull it through. If you run both of them pre-pump, you may need a volume pump to push more fuel to the HPFP.

Now, with that being said, it doesn't look like you have that problem since you're already running the two filters pre-pump. SO, as long as your fuel pressure is staying where it needs to be as of now.....I see no reason why your idea won't work

Last edited by nighthawk285; 05-18-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
I see nothing wrong with doing it like your second picture as long as some conditions are met.....er first one that explains what you want to do with the two spin-ons pre pump. If one is filtering to 12 microns and the next to 2 microns, there's no reason to worry about anything getting into the pump, so potentially you could even ditch the filter that's in there and just run it with the cap. However......

The main reason you want to have the pump in between the two spin-ons is for fuel pressure and delivery to the pump and thereinto the injectors. The more a filter filters, the lower the flow rate, so there is the potential to starve the pump if the flow rate drops too low from the 2 micron filter. Usually you want the higher-flowing 12 micron pre-pump, then the lower flowing 2 micron post-pump that way the HFCM is helping keep fuel pressure higher by actively pushing fuel through the lower rate filter instead of trying to pull it through.

Now, with that being said, it doesn't look like you must have that problem since you're already running the two filters pre-pump. SO, as long as your fuel pressure is staying where it needs to be as of now.....I see no reason why your idea won't work
I understand what you're saying. Right now the pump is drawing from the OEM feed tube and I just figured if it was sumped, then fuel would gravity feed through the filters to the pump. It makes sense about feeding the filter vice pulling through it. I can definitely split the filters but like I said, for ease of location and maintenance, it just seems easier to mount the filters together. Oh and I'm going to leave that filter in the HFCM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 AM

It would be better if it was sumped yes then you can use gravity to help, but even still I don't think you would get the volume you need to the HFCM for it to work properly. You could fix that problem by adding a volume pump right after the tank, then the two filters, then the HFCM. It's only money right lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

I have a 6.4 pump laying around I could use for that but I had other plans for it. I was going to use that to transfer fuel from my back tank to my front tank.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM

The 6.4 pumps are great for that, could you use it as both?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM

For instance, you could do it that way with 2 tank selector switches from a couple trucks, or why not just plumb it in that way to start with. Why go: back tank to front tank to engine instead of: back tank and front tank to selector valve, then outlet on valve to engine.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM

If you're going to have two tanks, why not just do it this way with a selector valve instead of pumping the aux tank to the primary tank and going from there? The dashed line is the return

Edit: sorry bout the crappy pic, just working with what I got
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel system thoughts...-0518131353.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM

If you wanted to set it up though for the rear-to-front, I believe you could do it this way by using two selector valves and mounting one backwards (I don't believe they have check valves in them). The only thing is you wouldn't be able to run the engine as you were pumping from the rear tank to the front.

It'd be a bit more involved, but it would work if that's how you wanted to do it.....
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel system thoughts...-0518131402.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.