Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

BPD FICM

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dieselmatt 
#1 ·
First off, I have searched for a thread and can't find a straight answer, if you know a thread with a direct answer please send it to me.

I have a '06 6.0 dually that I have stock injectors. I have done the blue spring upgrade and ran an Edge platinum since the truck was new. I tow a 20,000# trailer some, like twice a year, and use my 1 ton as a work truck.

Other upgrades:
Bypass filter on oil and coolant
MBRP turbo back 4"
Replaced the rotors and front bearings

I understand the increased charge to the injectors, but is there any need to run the 54 or 58 and will this extra kick fry the stock injectors or other parts?

The BPD is the six phase four screw, if that changes anything.

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
I am running the 6 phase BPD FICM set on 58v. I noticed on mine cold starts were faster and smoother and there was a noticeable difference in bottom end throttle response.

The OEM style FICM's that were set to 58v would try the FICM boards because they weren't designed to handle that much current. The BPD is a completely redesigned custom board made to withstand that current flow and the abuse we put on our trucks. I you get the 6 phase FICM I wouldn't hesitate to run it on 58v if I were you. Just my $0.02.

#3 ·
I run the BPD 6 phase 58v and noticed no difference between that and my barley failing OEM other than I get a code for FICM voltage out of range

been running it a year with no injector issues

if I ever have it out I am going to reset it to 48 since BPD seems to have added a disclaimer on the overvoltage since I bought mine and I don't like having a code present

#4 ·
if I ever have it out I am going to reset it to 48 since BPD seems to have added a disclaimer on the overvoltage since I bought mine and I don't like having a code present
Hmmm... That is interesting.

I had to go look that up, and when I did, I saw they make them in blue now! :doh:

Now I want a blue one!

Anyone wanna swap anodized aluminum for anodized blue...? :poke JK

#5 ·
How hard is it to "switch" between the output? It seems like you are cutting wires. Is that not correct? Either way thanks for the speedy replys. I have been w/o my truck since last Sat. And the part is due on today. I got to get back in "my" truck.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, you cut one wire for 58 volts or the other wire for 52 volts.

Cutting both wires will make the FICM 48 volts.

If you do not cut any wire, it will remain 48 volts from BPD...

But why would one buy the 58 volt version and not cut the 58 volt wire?

I have a beta test unit that was 48 volts and I'm happy. :nod:

#7 ·
i believe they only come in black now like the water pumps i may be wrong though

#9 ·
Mine is set on 58v simply because it was set up that way when I got it. I haven't had any issues from the increased voltage.

But if you have your doubts about the higher voltage you can just buy the four phase and save yourself a couple hundred bucks. Even their four phase is light years above the oem ficm.

#10 ·
i have the 4 phase it runs at 49-49.5 volts all day great unit.

#13 ·
Just put my BPD ficm in last week 48v model and noticed a difference on the quick smooth starting. Only thing, I thought this ficm would give me 48v constantly.. It only achieves 47-47.5 volts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.