Motor oil 101 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor oil 101

Being fairly new to diesels, I'm going through the learning curve on good maintenance as I wish to drive it a looooong time. One of the additions I made last week was an FS-2500 Oil Bypass Filter. The less soot the better as far as I'm concerned!

In trying to determine the best oil for my PSD, I ran across this very well written and informative article on motor oils. I learned a lot about oil that I never knew and believe that my PSD and hopefully my checkbook, will be happier for it. The author is obviously into gassers, but so much of what he writes about applies to diesels as well. Please forgive me if this does not belong in this place on this forum. The link to this article is:

Oil

I had decided to begin using Amsoil with my new FS-2500 filter, but after reading his article I'm beginning to wonder if that's the best choice. The author doesn't like Amsoil much because they focus too much, according to him, on long intervals between oil changes. Consequently they use considerably more additives which cuts down on the amount of actual oil. The less oil the less lubrication.

Somehow this makes sense to me since I'm still taking the 101 classes, but look forward to hearing from those of you who have knowledge and experience with these different oils.

I love my F-250 PSD and want to feed it only the best!

:icon_ ford:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Who is a good amsoil dealer btw? Performance oil products seems to flake out from time to time.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's the dealer I'm talking to. Very knowledgable, full of good information, fast action.

Houston AMSOIL Home Page
Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 1st time we used Amsoil, it was in a GM 8-92 in a boat. right before ran WOT. EGT's 780. Water temp 185. After at WOT EGT's 720, water temp 182. Less Temp equels less friction Equels less wear.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

What A Great Article On Motor Oils.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by huston View Post

Being fairly new to diesels, I'm going through the learning curve on good maintenance as I wish to drive it a looooong time. One of the additions I made last week was an FS-2500 Oil Bypass Filter. The less soot the better as far as I'm concerned!

In trying to determine the best oil for my PSD, I ran across this very well written and informative article on motor oils. I learned a lot about oil that I never knew and believe that my PSD and hopefully my checkbook, will be happier for it. The author is obviously into gassers, but so much of what he writes about applies to diesels as well. Please forgive me if this does not belong in this place on this forum. The link to this article is:

Oil

I had decided to begin using Amsoil with my new FS-2500 filter, but after reading his article I'm beginning to wonder if that's the best choice. The author doesn't like Amsoil much because they focus too much, according to him, on long intervals between oil changes. Consequently they use considerably more additives which cuts down on the amount of actual oil. The less oil the less lubrication.

Somehow this makes sense to me since I'm still taking the 101 classes, but look forward to hearing from those of you who have knowledge and experience with these different oils.

I love my F-250 PSD and want to feed it only the best!

:icon_ ford:
Hey Huston,

Thanks for puttin' this article out there...............it's awesome information!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A few point Id like to make, for one he uses Mobil 1. So of course he'll knock Amsoil.
At least Amsoil shows recorded tests against other oil brands - in which Amsoil smokes Mobil1 on every test.
2nd all synthetic oil cost with in cents of each other, so if your worried about extended drain intervals then change it more often. But to point out big liter semi's run hundreds of thousands of miles on oil drain intervals of 30,000 miles or more each time.
3rd, when it comes to the large difference in cold flow to hot flow ex. 5w-40 as compared to smaller such as 10w-30. With quality synthetic oils of today, the quicker breaking down is a thing of the past.
At least Amsoil claims they will warranty your engine if the long drain interval causes a failure. Who else does?

I run Amsoil (how'ed you guess), I change it about every 5 months regardeless b/c I make numerous short trips and only put on 9000k a year.

Ive done large amounts of research regarding oils, and the only brands I will ever run in my car or truck is Amsoil or Redline. I choose Amsoil because I get it for about half the price of Redline. Pensoil has oils that's Ferrari factory fill thats good too. But it's 60 bones a qt.

I also would like to note that I noticed an instant difference when I switch to a quality full synthetic oil in my truck.

Not to mention I believe the last time I researched Mobil1, I found that it's "full synthetic" was actually a blend

I get Amsoil pretty cheap if anyone wants to PM me

Last edited by Beatngu; 03-04-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: forgot a part
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Jon

Oil

Id get a analysis before you switch, right after you switch and then after a coulpe amsoil changes to find out what its doing.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:44 AM

Amsoil 5w-40...my choice of oil in my truck...2006 F-350 6.0L 6spd !!!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run the Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 100% Synthetic in mine. There is a noticeable difference in conventional oil vs Amsoil. Truck runs smoother with the Amsoil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.