Oil temp and coolant temp sending units - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil temp and coolant temp sending units

Just got some new gauges for my truck. I need to add sending units for oil and coolant temp. I've read in a few places that the coolant temp can go in the drivers side plug accessed from under the truck. Where can I get a plug with the 1/8" npt fitting? My plug has an Allen key fitting for removal so I can't just drill it out. Would putting it on the spare port on my coolant filter work just as well?

Also, I have no idea where I can add the oil temp sender?? Can it be mounted on top of the oil filter cap? I've seen some pics of a sensor mounted here on a billet style cap but A. I'm not sure about an aftermarket cap and B. I'm not sure if its a temp or pressure sender that I'm looking at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

So, after googling and looking around at other forums, I finally found the right billet oil filter cap. Got it, and the fuel filter cap both on order (got the fuel filter cap so they'd match.. might add fuel pressure later). Going to add the EOT sender to the top of it once it arrives. For the ECT I still haven't found the plug /w 1/8" npt fitting I need on the engine block. I decided to try the sending uinit on the free port at my coolant filter. Drove around for a while comparing the reading on the glowshift gauge to the reading from my SCT tuner.. At first they were as close to one another as you could ask for, all the way up to about 180 deg f. After a few hard runs, the SCT was showing 190-192 on the coolant temp, and the glowshift gauge was still only showing 180-185 tops. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that the coolant filter is only a partial bypass, and therefor isn't getting the full flow and heat to give me a true reading. Before I move the sender to the block location, I'm going to try changing the coolant filter and see if I get a little better flow and a more accurate reading. I added it right after I got the truck, and had a new oil cooler installed about to 3 months ago.

Here's a few pics so far:
Other than wire strippers and crimpers, the only tools Ive needed are listed below.

EGT thermocouple install:
2 - 12mm wrenches
11/32 drill bit
1/8" npt tap
cordless drill (with low speed and variable clutch so you don't snap the tap!!)

ECT sending unit install:
14mm ratcheting wrench
17mm ratcheting wrench
teflon tape

The EGT was the more difficult of the two to install simply because I couldn't find my center punch ans drilling on a curved surface is a pita! Once I had it drilled there isn't enough room to get the "T" handle for the tap in there so I had to use the drill on low speed and very little clutch. Every 1/8- - 1/4 turn I'd have to back the drill out and increase the clutch a little. was scared I would break the tap off in the exhaust pipe Other than that, it was quite easy to install. The thermocouple wire was long enough to make it all the was into the cab and splice into the gauge harness. I routed both the TC wire and sending unit wire though the factory loom / wire bundles to keep everything clean looking. At the ECT sender I used a little black tape (scotch 33) to make the wires look a little more... "stock".
Attached Thumbnails
Oil temp and coolant temp sending units-egt-tap.jpg   Oil temp and coolant temp sending units-egt-completed.jpg   Oil temp and coolant temp sending units-coolant-temp-sending-unit.jpg   Oil temp and coolant temp sending units-gauges.jpg   Oil temp and coolant temp sending units-tools-needed-egt-install.jpg  

Old 05-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You didn't want to read eot \ ect threw the obd2 port?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Using the down pipe for EGT reading will give you a low temp reading, as much as 400* less. The idea location will be the driver side exhaust manifold.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/ford6...ugeinstall.asp

Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
You didn't want to read eot \ ect threw the obd2 port?
I really wasn't wanting to spend another $300-400 or more on something I thought I could accomplish for $200ish.
The three gauges, senders, thermocouple, and pillar pod were $227.

Right now I just don't have the money for much else. (Newly engaged and paying off a ring!!)

Also I wanted a clean install inside the truck. It needs to look like it belongs there. I haven't seen much that will make things like the edge look right and I can't afford a lot of custom work. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place??

I'm definitly going to relocate the ect sending unit after checking it against the SCT tuner data logger as mentioned in my other post. I'm still assuming that I can get the eot from the top of the oil filter cap. It looks like the factory oil sender is right at the bottom of the oil filter so I'd assume the temps will be very close.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Using the down pipe for EGT reading will give you a low temp reading, as much as 400* less. The idea location will be the driver side exhaust manifold.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/ford6...ugeinstall.asp

I thought that you'd want to know what's going through the turbo? Why is it more important to know the temp pre-turbo than post-turbo?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

To update this, I've just got the dashboss for all critical monitoring of onboard sensors. The thing is amazing... I'm getting rid of the ect and eot and will be installing a second thermocouple pre-turbo in the manifold. I know I could simply move the thermocouple but after reading all of the pro's and con's for both sides of the argument I figured why not just look at both since I already have the pillar gauge pod. The last pod will hold a fuel pressure gauge eventually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc228 View Post
To update this, I've just got the dashboss for all critical monitoring of onboard sensors. The thing is amazing... I'm getting rid of the ect and eot and will be installing a second thermocouple pre-turbo in the manifold. I know I could simply move the thermocouple but after reading all of the pro's and con's for both sides of the argument I figured why not just look at both since I already have the pillar gauge pod. The last pod will hold a fuel pressure gauge eventually.

If your gonna add another egt gauge I would put both in each manifold. It allows you to see any problem before they could cause a serous problem
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
If your gonna add another egt gauge I would put both in each manifold. It allows you to see any problem before they could cause a serous problem
I decided against another egt. I've got fuel and oil pressure on the way. I may put another thermocouple back in the post turbo location one day just for more piece of mind on shutdown. If so I'm not adding another gauge inside e cab. I'll just use one of he up fitter switches and a relay so I can go back and forth when I want.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You can monitor both manifolds and the downpipe with the dashboss and your pyrometer gauge. That's what I do. I have both manifolds hooked to the dashboss and the analog is post turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.