E.G.R. blockoff? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E.G.R. blockoff?

This post is for a friend, 04 6.0 banks 6gun, multiple other mods. Whe he gets on it on position 6, runs stong then goes into a limp mode, the coolant overflow tank belches coolant out. Is this due to the e.g.r. cooler, if so where can you find a blockoff plate? Are there any other fixes? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Elite diesel sells the plate. When mine went, the headgaskets went also. I had arp head studs installed and the EGR blockoff. Just so he knows, with the plate in place, it will set an EGR code in the 6 Gun but doesn't effect the performance.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes, this is the exhaust flash boiling the coolant in the EGR cooler causing your degas bottle to puke. Blocking it off will eliminate this problem, so long as your head gaskets are intact and your EGR cooler isn't already ruptured.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Does it start puking out as soon as he gets on it turned to level 6? If so, the headgaskets are probably gone also. I had to run mine real hard for quite a while before it would start puking. Now I run mine on the SL level with no problems.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks, I think it happens soon after running it hard. Like a hard accell thru all 6 gears. Is it worth doing the cooler blockoff to see? I also think it may need gaskets and studs, but wanted to talk to some of you. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Definetely worth doing the block off plate. You can buy it for $15. If I were him, I would take the 6 Gun out and take it to a dealership that is aftermarket upgrade friendly and have it checked out. If they determine the headgaskets are blown and will cover it under warranty, you might be able to get them to install the studs and block off plate. That is what I did, but I use to work at the dealership I took mine to + I was good friends with the diesel tech. You can check on ebay and find the studs pretty cheap sometimes. I got mine for $450 shipped to me from Texas.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

the appropriate tests need to be done to it to to determine if its one...or both...

generally speaking EGR coolers flash boil after a long hard run of 10 seconds or more...or while pulling up a grade...

EGR cooler failures generally blow a lot of white smoke (a LOT)

headgasket failures generally blow no white smoke and overheat and purge when boost pressure overcomes the clamping force of the streched headbolts.....this could be 5 psi or it could be 30 psi...and that sounds to me like the problem here.....

Plugged oil coolers can also cause flash boiling and purging....but never an overheat unless coolant is low...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Mine was blowing so much smoke you couldn't see behind you. I blew the cooler and the headgaskets on both sides. Both heads had to be replaced along with 3 injectors and the turbo. It was blowing coolant and oil out the exhaust.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Mine was blowing so much smoke you couldn't see behind you. I blew the cooler and the headgaskets on both sides. Both heads had to be replaced along with 3 injectors and the turbo. It was blowing coolant and oil out the exhaust.

Ouch, sounds like you were luck it was covered.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

I had been trying to blow them since I bought the truck. I knew there was a problem with the factory bolts and I wanted to get the problem solved while it was under warranty. Glad I did too. No problems since repair, knock on wood!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.