2003 Dual Plane MTW Billet Wheel Review. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 Dual Plane MTW Billet Wheel Review.

I was putting this off primarily because it was getting beat up pretty good by other members. Ok, single plane wheels were. I still don't know what is really going to be the differences, but here is what I have observed from the 14 bladed dual plane wheel.

Before I get too far, keep a few things in mind, 1. I have a Banks Techni-Cooler system that will reduce boost because of larger volume. 2. I live at 4000ft ASL. Other than that, I have the usual "me too" mods, Blue Spring, 4" turbo back, SRL, EGR cooler delete, OEM bolts.

Obviously it spins up faster and the WFO EGT is down about 200*. What I didn't notice, because of a wicked cross wind on the way to Reno today, was the DROP in boost to maintain highway speeds. No kidding, the wind had died down, I'm cruising home (55 miles or so freeway), and notice that I am BELOW 5 psi at 73 mph! I would usually see 7 psi at that speed with the other wheel. I thought that my new Auto Meter gauge was broken, so I fired up the Scan Gauge and it confirmed the number.

We all know what lower boost at the same speed means, better mpg! I'll keep on this and let y'all know if this theory pans out, but it almost has to. I mean, if my mpg gets cut because a cross wind drives the boost up to maintain X mph, then a lower boost number at x mph should mean better mpg.

Like I said in the other thread, Anything after WFO EGT drops would be a bonus to me. Quicker spool, a little less smoke at spool up and less boost at highway speeds sounds like a winner to me.

One final note, when I got Adrian on the phone to confirm order details, he went into get detail to make sure that I understood EXACTLY what I was doing to put this wheel in. Sure it sounds like a no brainer, but if you've never done one, you may not know it's reverse thread, among other things. So a big to MTW's customer support.

Karl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I too installed the 03 turbo in an 06. And I also noticed that I was running a lower boost on the 03 at normal speeds where I was running a higher boost on the stock 06 turbo. Im getting an SRL file made now, I think they have to mod the usual to get rid of the lag ( at least from what Ive seen form the 06 to the 03 turbo )
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

The SRL tune helped the lag, then I deleted the EGR cooler, now this dual plane wheel. My low end throttle response got better with each add-on. The IDP FICM tuner helped a little, too.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yeah injectors and FICM ( when mine goes out, its 48.5-49.5 now ) later... I wanna say I hear some surging, but I did too much at once to point it out. I did the 03 turbo with the metal CAC pipe and a S&B intake. Do maybe Im just hearing the whoosh noise from the turbo now more and even so with the intake.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've gotten better mpg with more boost

Last edited by strokin6L; 05-15-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM

Less boost doesn't mean better mpg's....more boost does. Think about it...if you're cruising with 20% throttle and making 2lbs of boost vs cruising with 20% and 6lbs of boost....which is gonna give ya more mpg's? Running at 6lbs will. More air into the engine with the same throttle at the same rpm will give you better mpg's.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
In a stock turbo, stock injector truck application, I noticed with my truck that if I could cruise at a lower boost pressure (regardless of tuning), I could get better MPGs. Of course this was all WAY before I knew half of what I know now. The main thing to look for is does the truck require less pedal to go the same speed?? If the answer is YES, then you will probably get better MPG. The whole boost to MPG thing goes out the window when one deviates from stock injectors AND their original stock turbo. Even swapping over to an 03 turbo (say on an 06 truck), could cause one to see less boost while cruising but I would bet that they would still require more pedal to go the same speed as before so they should see higher cruising EGTs. The reason would be (in this case) the 10 bladed turbine wheel is not as efficient as the 13 bladed turbine wheel is and so the truck doesn't run as good down low. This is also the same thing as someone putting a Pmax on their truck when their original truck had a 13 bladed turbine wheel. Hope this helps and makes some sense.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:10 AM

Nate- I just put a p-max on my truck with the billet wheel and I just have to touch the throttle now to pick up speed where as before on the stock turbo I would have to give it more than 1/4 throttle to go... Just from how my truck is acting I would say that the 10 blade is pretty good so far.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
In a stock turbo, stock injector truck application, I noticed with my truck that if I could cruise at a lower boost pressure (regardless of tuning), I could get better MPGs. Of course this was all WAY before I knew half of what I know now. The main thing to look for is does the truck require less pedal to go the same speed?? If the answer is YES, then you will probably get better MPG. The whole boost to MPG thing goes out the window when one deviates from stock injectors AND their original stock turbo. Even swapping over to an 03 turbo (say on an 06 truck), could cause one to see less boost while cruising but I would bet that they would still require more pedal to go the same speed as before so they should see higher cruising EGTs. The reason would be (in this case) the 10 bladed turbine wheel is not as efficient as the 13 bladed turbine wheel is and so the truck doesn't run as good down low. This is also the same thing as someone putting a Pmax on their truck when their original truck had a 13 bladed turbine wheel. Hope this helps and makes some sense.
Yeah I totally agree Nate. I had Eric change my tune up a little. I was cruising at 65mph with 20% throttle and like 2psi of boost...truck hated it. Now I can cruise 65mph with only 18% throttle with 6psi of boost. Truck gets better fuel mileage. VGT duty cycle plays a big role. However every truck is different with the setups everyone has.

Last edited by strokin6L; 05-15-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
Less boost doesn't mean better mpg's....more boost does. Think about it...if you're cruising with 20% throttle and making 2lbs of boost vs cruising with 20% and 6lbs of boost....which is gonna give ya more mpg's? Running at 6lbs will. More air into the engine with the same throttle at the same rpm will give you better mpg's.
More boost is more air is more fuel. Like I said, we'll see.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.