Injector Clips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector Clips

A week ago I dyno'd my truck. I didn't use a dyno tune and the operator was having problems with how he was laying on the power to keep it in 5th. As well, even though it was a dual eddy current dyno, it was not loaded enough to let the truck build max torque, so it kept running out of RPM before the PW or boost were maxed out. To add insult to injury, it developed a miss on the drive into town. To make a long story shorter, the truck put out 790 lb-ft and 440hp, not bad for 3 second runs (I am not kidding) and a miss. He did over 15 runs and the temp never broke 1000*. So I drove it home somewhat disappointed, played with it for a few minutes and it was acting like it was running on 7 cylinders. So I put it in the garage and got ready to go to work.

So I was out of the country last week and this morning I played with the injector connections and hooked up the AE to see what was broke. Of course, I can't duplicate it and the truck is running strong. There is a slight vibration at 1200rpm, but it shows perfect on the power balance test. So when I deselected each injector, #8 sounded slightly different than the others. I pulled the harness off and on re-installing it, the plug was not latching correctly. My next step was to pull the clip and of course, it slipped off and fell under the intake manifold. I tried to get it back, but it just wasn't cooperating. I called the local dealer and he can't get any in till next week (need to buy 4@ $8 each). So I call up a recycler and he says he has a 6.0l in the yard and it may have them. So I go to pull another one to take with me and as it is just about in my hand, I hit a wire and it decided to join its buddy in the valley. 4 recyclers later and no clips...

So here is what I made out of some spare Stainless TIG rod. It works as good as the pretty ones from Ford. I will retrieve the originals when I do my oil cooler later this or next year, assuming they are still there. The rod is quite similar as far as strength and spring.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 05-11-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
A week ago I dyno'd my truck. I didn't use a dyno tune and the operator was having problems with how he was laying on the power to keep it in 5th. As well, even though it was a dual eddy current dyno, it was not loaded enough to let the truck build max torque, so it kept running out of RPM before the PW or boost were maxed out. To add insult to injury, it developed a miss on the drive into town. To make a long story shorter, the truck put out 790 lb-ft and 440hp, not bad for 3 second runs (I am not kidding) and a miss. He did over 15 runs and the temp never broke 1000*. So I drove it home somewhat disappointed, played with it for a few minutes and it was acting like it was running on 7 cylinders. So I put it in the garage and got ready to go to work.

So I was out of the country last week and this morning I played with the injector connections and hooked up the AE to see what was broke. Of course, I can't duplicate it and the truck is running strong. There is a slight vibration at 1200rpm, but it shows perfect on the power balance test. So when I deselected each injector, #8 sounded slightly different than the others. I pulled the harness off and on re-installing it, the plug was not latching correctly. My next step was to pull the clip and of course, it slipped off and fell under the intake manifold. I tried to get it back, but it just wasn't cooperating. I called the local dealer and he can't get any in till next week (need to buy 4@ $8 each). So I call up a recycler and he says he has a 6.0l in the yard and it may have them. So I go to pull another one to take with me and as it is just about in my hand, I hit a wire and it decided to join its buddy in the valley. 4 recyclers later and no clips...

So here is what I made out of some spare Stainless TIG rod. It works as good as the pretty ones from Ford. I will retrieve the originals when I do my oil cooler later this or next year, assuming they are still there. The rod is quite similar as far as strength and spring.

That sucks. You do know that you can just press on the closed end of the clip towards the open end and it will allow the plug to come loose from the injector connector?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
That sucks. You do know that you can just press on the closed end of the clip towards the open end and it will allow the plug to come loose from the injector connector?
This is the way I have always done them. Never even thought of pulling them out.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Yes, that is why the ends are angled, squeeze them and they pop out of the grove. The problem was for whatever reason it wasn't holding, hence the pull and almost re-seat. The second push was firm enough to almost push the injector plug back into the valve casing. I had to gently pull it back to the snap or I would have had to pull the cover to re-seat it. The second clip was just icing on the cake. I wasn't going to pull it off, and then I thought about "what if they have something close". In any case, the clips took about a minute to make. A lot less than the hour I drove to attempt to get replacements. Like I said, easy to make with the small TIG wire.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 05-12-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Did you just use needle nose to bend it?? Looks good!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

One needle and one small square. The first one I made out of softer wire was pretty ugly. It was actually easier with the stainless being harder to bend.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ingenuity right there! I have never pulled the clips out either, weird they wouldn't clip back in..
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

I've always pulled them. As a matter fact, I'm still confused at how else to get them out of there...lol
Old 05-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I've always pulled them. As a matter fact, I'm still confused at how else to get them out of there...lol
If you push on the closed end it forces the sides open as the lower bends push against the plastic housing, allowing for an easy separation. When you release it or pull it back to the grove, it is ready to relock into the grove on the inner connector. Sometimes only one side catches or they both partially catch and after a while it vibrates loose. That is probably what caused the miss. The problem was the truck was running so strong, having one cylinder dropping was pretty much unnoticeable, except for the lower than expected power on the dyno. The dyno problems further masked it.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
If you push on the closed end it forces the sides open as the lower bends push against the plastic housing, allowing for an easy separation. When you release it or pull it back to the grove, it is ready to relock into the grove on the inner connector. Sometimes only one side catches or they both partially catch and after a while it vibrates loose. That is probably what caused the miss. The problem was the truck was running so strong, having one cylinder dropping was pretty much unnoticeable, except for the lower than expected power on the dyno. The dyno problems further masked it.
i completely agree on my truck with bigger injectors you can't really tell it is running on 7. the only way i new was when is was od at 45 and you give it gas it just vibrates and bucks other than that it runs fine just driving around of coarse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.