Fluidampr Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fluidampr Install

Well, I installed a Fluidampr today and decided I'd do a mini write up of what it entailed, if anyone else wanted to do it. Thanks to Marc and BUKWAKR for the tips
You'll need a 6.0L Fluidampr pt# 870201
4 new damper bolts from Ford pt#W300024
this would also be a good time to install a new serpentine belt if yours is old or in bad cond. (I didn't think of it ahead of time so I didn't change it out)
Basic hand tools, ratchets, extensions, and torque wrench.
here goes: 1st remove the air filter intake assembly, upper radiator hose, degas bottle hose, unplug the fan clutch elec. connector, now remove the 2- 8mm bolts that hold the outer fan shroud on to the radiator. remove the 4- 8mm bolts on the radiator core support, and remove the two brackets (this step allows you enough room to remove the outer shroud) Now you should have enough clearance to gently persuade the outer shroud assembly to come out. pull it up and out. Now you can access the 3- 15mm bolts on top that hold the inner shroud assy to the block and the 2- 15mm bolts on the bottom that hold it to the block, remove these bolts. Now you should be able to pull the entire inner shroud assembly forward away from the engine enough to gain access to the crank pulley and idler tensioner pulley. (the inner shroud will still be in place because of the fan its not necessary to remove it completely) Using a 1/2" drive torque bar, take the tension off the idler pulley, and take the belt off the alternator for slack. from under the truck remove the 4- 18mm crank dampr/pulley bolts and remove it from engine. Set the Fluidampr in place routing the belt back around the new damper. Put a few drops of oil on the 4 new bolts and install them, torque them to 50 ft/lbs + 90 degrees. Now just reinstall everything in reverse order. fire it up and roll.
Total time I had invested including time out to talk to Marc and BUKWAKR and working at a leisurely pace including beer was about 3 hours. On a PITA scale of 1-10, 10 being an extreme PITA, I'd give it about a 4. All in all not a bad install. If I left anything out or anyone knows of an easier method please feel free to add. Pics of the fun to follow:
Pic of fanagling out the outer shroud assy.

looking down at fan

view of idler tensioner pulley

under truck looking at stock damper/pulley

view of crank snout with damper removed

stocker next to the Fluidampr

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great write up, Chris! What do you think so far? Any noticeable improvements?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM

Actually Shawn, I really didn't get a chance to drive it much after the install. I took it out for about 15 mins. and it seemed to run smoother, but IDK maybe it was in my head. I will be taking the truck out to strech its legs today, so I'll see how it goes out on the open road today.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM

Your work bench is making me thirsty.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlonno View Post
Your work bench is making me thirsty.
LOL, yah, but its not stump approved, No Natural Light coaster on there.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM

so its just a bolt on balancer no pullin requred thats sweet might be my next mod
Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Yup, no puller needed. I think if you get the Fluidampr new it actually comes with 4 new bolts. I picked this one up off another org member, so I had to get 4 new bolts from Ford. They are a one time use.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Great write up. I was trying to figure out how hard the install would be. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM

So, I just got back from about a 160 mile road trip. Down to Lake Havasu and back. (It was about 80* there, Awesome day for a ride. Can you say spring fever?) Anyway the truck ran great with the new damper. I did notice that the engine ran very smooth and especially under load going up the long grades. I put my foot in it more than a couple of times, and John Law almost snagged me once, but I saw him in time and got off the go pedal. I'd say I'm pleased with this mod.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cool deal, Chris. Glad you didn't get caught and that you like the mod. I love mine and it is a huge improvement over stock while towing. Let's plan a trip to SD and stand around and watch dlonno install his...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.