Finally installed my intake manifold! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally installed my intake manifold!

Well I finally got around to installing my ported intake manifold that ODAWG714 (Oliver) made for me. After his fiasco with a subpar manifold made by Soot Powered (Do not buy from them) he tore the manifold open and "worked" it himself. I decided to paint it black. I didn't get too fancy. I'm not trying to raise any flags (california )

If anybody goes to install a ported manifold I'll offer some tips to hopefully save some people headache and money...

COVER ANY OIL RELATED HOLES!!!!!!!! Once you get the turbo off and have view/access to the original manifold use compressed air to blow any junk away from the ports so nothing can fall into the head. We cleaned the valley and didn't cover the oil filter housing... well I didn't do that and unfortunately caused the IPR to crap out. $200 later I had a replacement valve and screen.

When removing injector clips don't pull the clips, because they can and will fly away. Instead push the flat part of the clip inward and the harness will pull off. If you pushed it far enough the harness will easily pull off.

Oliver helped me with the removal/install along with another buddy who's a Ford tech (hence where I learned the injector harness clip trick).

On to the good stuff:

Once the truck was all back together with a new IPR valve I went for a drive (120 miles lol). The truck completely feels lighter on its feet. Less effort to get it moving. Cruising EGT's are down about 50-100 degrees. I had cruise control set at 80 mph on a stretch of flat freeway and EGT's were 700 (before manifold was about 800-850). In the same area, but the opposite direction EGT's were about 750. I slowed down to 65 mph and EGT's were 600-650 (before manifold were about 675-750). On WOT runs the EGT's
climbed much slower than before. Simply passing a car seems more effortless and EGT's dont hit 1,000+ degrees doing it. The turbo lights WAY faster than
before too. I noticed the hybrid was more sluggish to build boost vs the stage 1 which I always wondered about, but now it spools and just starts moving! The truck seems to sound quieter, but that could be my ears deceiving me. The lie-o-meter shows about 1 mpg improvement which includes all my WOT runs, but I take that with a grain of salt. I'll fill my tank up and hand calculate the numbers and update the thread later with those numbers. Don't hold your breath for that one though, because I don't daily drive the truck. LOL.

I'm not a dyno guy so I'll go to the track (sorry only 1/8th mile around here) and get some numbers. If my mph is a decent amount higher than 73mph (stock turbo stock manifold) then I may install the stock turbo to see how much just the manifold is doing for the truck. I'm really enjoying how the truck is running now. I liked it before, but even moreso now. Injectors were in my future, but honestly I'm just going to enjoy my truck.

I have some videos I took of some of the runs. I combined them to a single youtube video:

The EGT video where it slowly goes to 1300 then back down to 1200 I was still WOT when it dropped off to 1200. I let off after it backed down to 1200
Attached Thumbnails
Finally installed my intake manifold!-img_20130502_160241_113-1-.jpg  

Last edited by 1fastTRX; 05-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice review Logan! I'm glad your truck is back to life lol. And me n mig had nothing to do with cleaning the valley that was all you lmao.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAWG714 View Post
Nice review Logan! I'm glad your truck is back to life lol. And me n mig had nothing to do with cleaning the valley that was all you lmao.
Edited just for you.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Making ported intakes

Giving u grief lol regulated return now!!
Next week ill have two more made, my second one and mikes. I think he's convinced now

Last edited by ODAWG714; 05-07-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

very nice... thanks for the tips Dawg
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

damn that thing will bury the speedo in a hurry. truck sounds great from inside.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that truck straight gets up and moves! awesome.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Here's a picture of what the inside looked like while Oliver was working on it.

For being as big of a truck (CCLB) as it is I think it moves out pretty good
Attached Thumbnails
Finally installed my intake manifold!-1368022815063.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The inside of your intake looks really good, impressive work Odawg.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu! View Post
The inside of your intake looks really good, impressive work Odawg.
Thx brotha here's a before

After machining and a little blast looks like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.