FOOLING AROUND WITH INJECTORS !! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
FOOLING AROUND WITH INJECTORS !!

Well i had some spare time one day and desided to start fooling around with a injector. This is what i did first i took the spool valve and installed it backwards from it original position. This is not good the symtom being a complete NO START oil just pooring from spill port! Then i desided to put it in correctly and jam it all the way to the right side of the injector believe it or not the truck started fine and ran fine to my suprise i thought for sure it would miss but it did not. I then jammed spool valve all the way to left side harness side of injector and what do you know it had a very long crank time but started and missed. This makes me wonder about some very long - lazy crank times on trucks that do not have any leaks in HPOS or HPOP that a few injectors are stuck that way. I DID NOTICE THAT EVERY INJECTOR has a rest position and that is with the spool valve to the right side of the injector. Just wanted to share what i found.

P.S. ive done 10 sets of spool valves polished with no comebacks and in fact very happy customers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
BACKYARDIGAN


 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 4,634
Thanks: 27
Thanked 87 Times in 61 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That is some VERY interesting information Dale. Thanks man.

I too have wondered why when I shut my truck off after it is hot, let it sit for about 10 mins, go out to crank it, and it takes longer than if it is cold to start. And I too have no HPO leaks that I am aware of. All brand new orings and seals in the system.

Maybe the spool valve not being all the way in the rest position is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rocklin, CA (Sacramento Area)
Posts: 826
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey Dale,

You are either too smart or behind the times, not sure which LOL!

I was talking to a peterbilt tech who strayed over to talk to me about my truck at the gas station. I talked to him for like a half hour, he works on cummins and cat motors. He knew the 6.0 had a HEUI system in it and was asking if I had any injector, egr, HG, or oil cooler issues yet. I said you must own a powerstroke, he laughed and said YEP!

He was telling me some real good info and was just a knowledgeable guy all around. In the midst of our conversation he mentioned that years ago he began polishing the spool valves in the cat motors as they had injector failure issues that were pretty common. He said he cant off hand remember any of the same trucks he did that to ever coming back with injector issues. He also gave me a link for good info about HEUI that may help some others in understanding these systems - it even has info about the powerstroke in there

http://dieselclass.com/Fuels%20Files/HEUI%201-08.pdf

You are definitely in tune with your trade!! I told him that one of the techs on the forum I am on started doing that and he said that you should start a service just doing that as you would have happy customers and he said tell him kudos for thinking outside the box - SO I guess to blow a sunshine up your skirt I will say you are definitely good at what you do and maybe you are on to something that could really help this community out.

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
That is some VERY interesting information Dale. Thanks man.

I too have wondered why when I shut my truck off after it is hot, let it sit for about 10 mins, go out to crank it, and it takes longer than if it is cold to start. And I too have no HPO leaks that I am aware of. All brand new orings and seals in the system.

Maybe the spool valve not being all the way in the rest position is why.
Could be buddy. I was very surprised by my results as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by white59rt View Post
Hey Dale,

You are either too smart or behind the times, not sure which LOL!

I was talking to a peterbilt tech who strayed over to talk to me about my truck at the gas station. I talked to him for like a half hour, he works on cummins and cat motors. He knew the 6.0 had a HEUI system in it and was asking if I had any injector, egr, HG, or oil cooler issues yet. I said you must own a powerstroke, he laughed and said YEP!

He was telling me some real good info and was just a knowledgeable guy all around. In the midst of our conversation he mentioned that years ago he began polishing the spool valves in the cat motors as they had injector failure issues that were pretty common. He said he cant off hand remember any of the same trucks he did that to ever coming back with injector issues. He also gave me a link for good info about HEUI that may help some others in understanding these systems - it even has info about the powerstroke in there

http://dieselclass.com/Fuels%20Files/HEUI%201-08.pdf

You are definitely in tune with your trade!! I told him that one of the techs on the forum I am on started doing that and he said that you should start a service just doing that as you would have happy customers and he said tell him kudos for thinking outside the box - SO I guess to blow a sunshine up your skirt I will say you are definitely good at what you do and maybe you are on to something that could really help this community out.

Todd
Thank you very much Todd it really means alot to me when i see people who read what i post and benifit from. I read alot here and learn a GREAT DEAL HERE AS WELL! So again thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Bump To Pass!!


 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 3,451
Thanks: 39
Thanked 158 Times in 146 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What exactly do you mean by jamming it to the left and right sides?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
What exactly do you mean by jamming it to the left and right sides?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I had a injector that was going back so i scored the bore so the spool valve was jammed would not slide! I took a punch and moved it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: hanover, md
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i am curious on this as well. i just finished my rebuild(studs&gaskets)etc i got 175/stock from renegade and i have a strong feelings that something is not right with them. ive talked with sheldon and were on the same page about my issue being an injector problem! no big deal hes taking care of me 100% and i upgraded to 175/30 and waiting on them now.

my truck has long cold starts but seems to start fine when hot, smokes untill warm also wont get out of its own way untill warm. seems every truck is a different beast. id like to understand injectors better. just wondering if this could help me? ive been told NOT to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: hanover, md
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
also i pressure tested the hpop with no leaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,605
Thanks: 83
Thanked 177 Times in 141 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by white59rt View Post
Hey Dale,

You are either too smart or behind the times, not sure which LOL!

I was talking to a peterbilt tech who strayed over to talk to me about my truck at the gas station. I talked to him for like a half hour, he works on cummins and cat motors. He knew the 6.0 had a HEUI system in it and was asking if I had any injector, egr, HG, or oil cooler issues yet. I said you must own a powerstroke, he laughed and said YEP!

He was telling me some real good info and was just a knowledgeable guy all around. In the midst of our conversation he mentioned that years ago he began polishing the spool valves in the cat motors as they had injector failure issues that were pretty common. He said he cant off hand remember any of the same trucks he did that to ever coming back with injector issues. He also gave me a link for good info about HEUI that may help some others in understanding these systems - it even has info about the powerstroke in there

http://dieselclass.com/Fuels%20Files/HEUI%201-08.pdf

You are definitely in tune with your trade!! I told him that one of the techs on the forum I am on started doing that and he said that you should start a service just doing that as you would have happy customers and he said tell him kudos for thinking outside the box - SO I guess to blow a sunshine up your skirt I will say you are definitely good at what you do and maybe you are on to something that could really help this community out.

Todd
Good link!! Lots of info! Thanks!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors