Most reliable fuel system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 98
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most reliable fuel system

I am currently making a parts list for my truck that I'm replacing the engine in starting sometime this week, already have some things on the list but cannot determine a decent fuel system. I've heard all bad things about bass and ad. Anybody have ideas or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reezy71x View Post
I am currently making a parts list for my truck that I'm replacing the engine in starting sometime this week, already have some things on the list but cannot determine a decent fuel system. I've heard all bad things about bass and ad. Anybody have ideas or advice
ILL BE THE FIRST!! no airdog!!! anything else but!! Im sure there great on low pressure aplications but that is it!!!

Some of the guys here have made there own including me but im going to let the guys running fass and other brands chim in!!!

let the party begin!!

Last edited by JUGERNAUT; 05-07-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I had to do it over again I would feed the rear of the heads and pull the returns from the front--just think it would be a lot cleaner looking. I have a a-1000 with XDP sump through some napa filter bases up to the engine in -10 pushloc and then switched over to braided in the engine bay.
[IMG] 2012-10-25 13.35.29 by Heath_Runkles, on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM
BACKYARDIGAN


 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 4,691
Thanks: 28
Thanked 93 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath_R View Post
If I had to do it over again I would feed the rear of the heads and pull the returns from the front--just think it would be a lot cleaner looking.
I have heard this phrase so many times that I forget and for the life of me, I just don't get what is so "dirty" (for lack of a better description) about feeding heads from the front of the motor.
I built my own fuel system from the tank to the motor and back and I have absolutely no desire to feed my heads from the back of the motor. It isn't like the lines can go straight in as they have to have either 90 degree elbows and/or banjo fittings to work too. The way I have my lines set up, I don't have to un-hook anything to pull/swap turbos and the lines you do see look VERY clean IMO. Yes I use more line, but IMO, I like just feeding the heads from the front and regulating off the back.
Ok well anyways, (again IMO) once you decide to drop the OEM fuel pump and go with custom lines and what have you, the price can start racking up pretty quick on you. I have my fuel system setup pretty solid and should hold up for a good while. It has been doing great now for about a year and I have no plans to really change it anytime soon. I have a sump feeding an Airdog 150 (that's right Dale, I said airdog ) that feeds an Aeromotive A1000 that then feeds the heads and RR kit that I made and I also have the Aeromotive billet speed controller to allow the A1000 to run at low speed during low rpm and low throttle positions but as the pedal is applied, it speeds the A1000 up keep up with flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I have heard this phrase so many times that I forget and for the life of me, I just don't get what is so "dirty" (for lack of a better description) about feeding heads from the front of the motor.
I built my own fuel system from the tank to the motor and back and I have absolutely no desire to feed my heads from the back of the motor. It isn't like the lines can go straight in as they have to have either 90 degree elbows and/or banjo fittings to work too. The way I have my lines set up, I don't have to un-hook anything to pull/swap turbos and the lines you do see look VERY clean IMO. Yes I use more line, but IMO, I like just feeding the heads from the front and regulating off the back.
Ok well anyways, (again IMO) once you decide to drop the OEM fuel pump and go with custom lines and what have you, the price can start racking up pretty quick on you. I have my fuel system setup pretty solid and should hold up for a good while. It has been doing great now for about a year and I have no plans to really change it anytime soon. I have a sump feeding an Airdog 150 (that's right Dale, I said airdog ) that feeds an Aeromotive A1000 that then feeds the heads and RR kit that I made and I also have the Aeromotive billet speed controller to allow the A1000 to run at low speed during low rpm and low throttle positions but as the pedal is applied, it speeds the A1000 up keep up with flow.
AD150 dont count, its the feared 175 that is the devel!!! booohahahahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 2,842
Thanks: 2
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nate, I now feed the back of the heads in my regulated return, with hard lines, not braided stainless like I had before. IMO it is a lot nicer looking, of course, i don't exactly have anywhere to run lines from the back of the motor to the front. To each his own I guess, in my case, feeding the back of the heads was a lot easier.

To the OP, how big of injectors are you planning on running? If you are planning on anything smaller than 190s, the most reliable fuel system is going to be the OEM fuel pump and a regulated return. If you want additional filtration and air removal, and AD150 or low Pressure FASS used as a lift pump to the stock pump works very well.
ccdemo71 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 210a Maple Ave
Posts: 799
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just our 2 cents but we are a fass dealer for good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd_shop View Post
just our 2 cents but we are a fass dealer for good reason.
Nice to know I might be calling you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Easton, CT
Posts: 669
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Nate what are you using for tach signal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 AM
BACKYARDIGAN


 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 4,691
Thanks: 28
Thanked 93 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I tapped into the tach wire under the dash. I forget the color of the wire as it has been like a year but I believe it is a green and white wire. I can look in a day or two when I get back home (out of town right now on travel). Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors