Dying Issue! (05 Excursion) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dying Issue! (05 Excursion)

Okay, so I'm new here & I come with a problem.

In short: My Excursion dies unless you are putting pressure on the accelerator......but not all the time....and starts back up immediately and runs great otherwise.

Now for the details. Obviously it's a 6.0. Recent work had been a FICM harness, a fuel lift pump, and an Edge Juice programmer installed.
It has 118,000 miles on it.

So, I will start it up and sometimes it will run just as it is supposed to. Sometimes it will die unless you rev it up and keep your foot on the accelerator. There really is no rhyme or reason. Time of day doesn't seem to make a difference, fuel level doesn't either.

When it dies I do get the water in fuel light. We have discussed this as being the culprit. Have been putting additive in with every fuel up. One thing we can not find is a bleeder valve by the fuel filter to bleed off any water.
The WIF light is usually the only light that comes in. Sometimes a couple other random ones.

Other than this issue, it runs great.

Last edited by mere415; 05-01-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

its down on the fuel pump. take the outter housing off and clean really good inside there. also ive seen this once and thats it but the ac compressor locks up and kills the motor but in that case it didnt allow it to start. seems like a starter ended up being the ac compressor
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, that's the problem. In every other thread I've read, other vehicles won't start. If I don't keep my foot on the pedal, mine could die 6 times in as many blocks, but throw it in neutral and it will start just fine 6 times.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Something I noticed on the way home, which may be nothing, is that it seems to not be as bad when the EGT is less than 85-90. May be nothing.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

There is w drain on the pump . Drain the water out .
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks! Going to try the water drain again. It's going on the lift tomorrow morning.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, no water in the fuel whatsoever. Ended up just dropping the tank. Fuel pump is new so that's not it. All o rings, filters, etc.

Any ideas??
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did the filters get changed when the new pump was installed?
Find a way to test fuel pressure and see if maybe you just got a bad pump? Unless you have checked that theres no way to say its absolutley not the problem. Maybe you got a defective pump and its not making enough pressure.
Are you getting any trouble codes?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mere415 View Post
Okay, no water in the fuel whatsoever. Ended up just dropping the tank. Fuel pump is new so that's not it. All o rings, filters, etc.

Any ideas??
Ok you need to find out why the wif light is coming on! When this light comes on it d-rates engine to protect it just the same as when the low fuel light comes on. If indeed the pump is new it comes loaded with a new filter. So back to the light do this, unplug the wif plug and drive it for 2 or 3 days to see if the light comes back on. This will let you know if there is a intermittent short in the harness. The wif light coming on will NOT make your engine stall so check for codes and post back with them please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.