EGR Probe Location - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Probe Location

I just picked up my 2004 PSD from the mechanic. I got the EGR deleted and while he was at it I asked him to install a new EGR probe I got for my Edge Insight. He installed it right behind the turbo instead of the drivers side exhaust manifold like Edge states. I phoned them up and Edge said it is next to useless there and it will read up to 200-400 degrees from what the actual temp is. The mechanic argued that is where he always puts them and you get a combined reading off both sides of the motor, (makes sense). He said all big rigs are like that and it isn't near 400 degrees different. Should I push the subject and take it back? (1.5 hour drive one way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Probably something you should have discussed prior to dropping it off. There are a number of folks who runs theirs in that location and a number of folks who run it in the driver side manifold (like I have done). Some guys run more than one, measuring both manifolds (as I have my passenger side tapped), and others run three, measuring both manifolds and the down pipe.

Measuring the exhaust in the down pipe isn't necessarily bad, it's giving you what your output temperatures are from the back side of the turbo and turbine life can be degraded with excessive temperatures. Personally, I think it boils down to preference. I don't see an issue either way. You'll just know the temperature of the air coming off the turbine...depending on how far away the probe is located from it.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
Probably something you should have discussed prior to dropping it off. There are a number of folks who runs theirs in that location and a number of folks who run it in the driver side manifold (like I have done). Some guys run more than one, measuring both manifolds (as I have my passenger side tapped), and others run three, measuring both manifolds and the down pipe.

Measuring the exhaust in the down pipe isn't necessarily bad, it's giving you what your output temperatures are from the back side of the turbo and turbine life can be degraded with excessive temperatures. Personally, I think it boils down to preference. I don't see an issue either way. You'll just know the temperature of the air coming off the turbine...depending on how far away the probe is located from it.
Thanks Shack, I needed somebody else's opinion to put my mind at ease.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think there Is a significant difference in the two locations temperature wise. Most guys use the manifold, I think it's the standard location so when everyone is talking temps you'll have to know how to convert those numbers to your setup. Like when I tell you I hit 1650 on a wot run you better not do the same with the EGT probe in the downpipe, that would be cooking. Personally I would rather have it in the manifold like most other folks do. It's easy to do yourself just need a drill, bit, and the right NPT tap.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To me when you have the probe in the down-pipe your always saying to yourself "oh yah my exhaust entering my turbo is actually 200 degrees hotter" so why bother mounting it in a location where the response time is so much slower. I've seen on a truck which had probes in both exhaust manifolds and the down-pipe that when the exhaust manifold hit the "time to back off on the throttle" that the down-pipe temperature continued to climb even though the exhaust manifold was several hundred degrees cooler. Sure, a probe in the down-pipe is better then nothing but IMO not at all the best location for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Premium Member

If he put it post turbo, it's useless.
Best place is the manifold.

If he put it in the y-collector it's still useless. The mechanic said all the "Big Rigs" do this. Well they can cause there inline 6
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Inline 6 or V8, it doesn't matter. Pre-turbo will give more actuate cylinder temps and move around a lot faster. And post-turbo will move slower. All of your semis, V8s included run post turbo. You have to also consider what happened when that probe tip comes off. I would rather deal with the temps than buying a new turbo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Premium Member

There are reasons that race trucks may have a probe in the down pipe and/or a couple other locations, but they will also always have one where it belongs, in the exhaust manifold. You want to know what the temps are at the cylinders. Anywhere down-stream from there is useless information unless your driving a serious race truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 AM
Premium Member

As a side note to the OP...
If your mechanic is doing stuff to your 6.0 based on nothing more than what the big rigs do, you should probably be looking for a new mechanic.

I wouldn't even take it back to him to have the probe put in the correct location. It will be easy for you to plug the current hole and drill & tap the correct location. Fix it yourself.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Time to buy a correct sized tap then and attempt it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.