Air Dog and Sump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Dog and Sump?

i have my fuel system in, regulated return, bottom sump and a air dog 2 165. What do i do for running my sump to air dog can i leave the stock pump in and leave it unplugged or does it need to be removed.thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No it doesn't "need" to, could just unplug it or you can use the AD2 with a lower pressure setting to feed the stock pump. I got rid of my stock pump and installed all stainless steel tubing.

Air Dog 2 wiring

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You really should have done some research before doing this. The ADII DF-165 is the biggest POS on the market and you can count on it failing on you real soon. I know from experience, I've been through 3 and finally said the hell with Pureflow and bought a Fuelab Prodigy 41402 high pressure pump. I have turned my ADII down to 15psi and am using it much like an AD150 to feed my Fuelab.

I think your best bet is do do the same thing I have done and turn the ADII way down and use the ADII to feed your HFCM. You will need to do a little custom line work to make this happen but there is just thread after thread of DF-165 failures and Pureflow refuses to deal with the problem other than send you new pumps. Be sure you filled out your warranty card and returned it or you will be paying for your replacement pump when yours fails.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
You really should have done some research before doing this. .
I wouldn't run an AD if it was free
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glad I have two spares. LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Upgrade the wiring harness and run a sump. Problem solved.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Upgrade the wiring harness and run a sump. Problem solved.
It would be nice if it was true but it just isn't. They use junk seals that give up and flood the motor with diesel. Game over. Wiring and a sump may buy you time but they are still more than likely going to fail and take out the pump if you try to maintain it as a high pressure pump. It just isn't up to the job.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
It would be nice if it was true but it just isn't. They use junk seals that give up and flood the motor with diesel. Game over. Wiring and a sump may buy you time but they are still more than likely going to fail and take out the pump if you try to maintain it as a high pressure pump. It just isn't up to the job.
I will partially agree.

I believe if you upgrade the harness and run a sump from day one, it will get rid of 90% of the problems that can occur. Take Term3 (I may have him confused with another member, but I'm pretty certain it's him), for example. I believe he has been running his AirDog 2 for nearly 6 years with no issues. But, he upgraded the harness from day one, and installed a sump. Also, my old truck... I went through three pumps in a month, and it still wouldn't hold pressure at even 1/2 throttle. The new owner upgraded the harness, hasn't had a problem since. It is running flawlessly, even while fueling 190's.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Yes there are some people, notably Term3 that has had good luck with his. As with anything you will find examples that run outside the norm. The ADII should not require a 10ga wiring harness. It is just not up to the job of supplying the pressure needed by the 6.0. My 3rd pump is turned all the way down to 15psi and is sumped. I am hoping that will allow it to live happily but if it doesn't it will be the last Pureflow product ever to see my truck. My personal opinion is that Pureflow should be boycotted until they are forced to go under. They just plain suck as a company.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes there are some people, notably Term3 that has had good luck with his. As with anything you will find examples that run outside the norm. The ADII should not require a 10ga wiring harness. It is just not up to the job of supplying the pressure needed by the 6.0. My 3rd pump is turned all the way down to 15psi and is sumped. I am hoping that will allow it to live happily but if it doesn't it will be the last Pureflow product ever to see my truck. My personal opinion is that Pureflow should be boycotted until they are forced to go under. They just plain suck as a company.
Just curious, did you ever upgrade the wiring harness to your AirDog? Cause it holds 65 PSI on my old truck, even with 190's. Now, before upgrading the harness, it wouldn't even hold 50 PSI without dropping 5 PSI under LIGHT acceleration. 1/2 throttle would cause it to plummet. Power supply is its main issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.