Recommendations for smokeless Power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recommendations for smokeless Power

Looking for recommendations for smokeless power. Truck is a 2005 Excursion with a 2004 sticker on engine, has ICP in pass valvecover etc. Tearing it apart for Head Gaskets now. Looking to Tow with it and make some power with out smoke. I have a little stiction issues now with stock injectors, when I use rev-x, it goes away for about 4000 miles just in time for new oil change , running the 15-40W Kendal Super D-XA synthetic blend. I have full set of guages( egt, boost, trans temp, fuel pressure, HPOP, and Scan Guage 2) and HPOP isn't weak with the stock injectors. I haven't tried the shut icp, air pressure test yet.
I was looking at getting soem warren 155/stock or 175 /stock injectors...maybe /30's. Again i don't want to be blowing smoke. I am used to diesels, I run a built tdi and have several cummins, ve, p pump, vp44, and soem detriots.. I don't want a smokey pig as the Family cruiser lol.
I have a build thread going over inthe 6.0L excursion section, I just started the tear down etc. How much power can I get with out smokeing bad, I don't mind a little haze but no big time smoke. I remember reading about a Jefferson State Diesel 6.0L that was running 500 plus hp smoke free, it was in either Diesel Power or Diesel World Magazine etc... I'd like a 400 plus hp with no smoke and great tow capability.
Thanks,
Deo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 AM

If all you're doing is towing and NOT looking for smoke, stick with stock injectors. Just go with some custom tuning, it really wakes them up.

Everyone's definition of "smoke free" is different from what I've found. On my stock injectored truck my most power/least amount of smoke is a Quicktricks street tune. Fun tune to drive, basically smoke free. The only time I can even get any little tiny amount of black is coasting down the road and just go WOT instantly, it's a tiny puff and cleans up almost instantly. It's so minute that once winter rolls around I actually can't get it to smoke at all like that. Completely smoke free.

If you don't mind a little puff of smoke before the turbo lights, you can still run some hot tunes, but I'd stick with stock injectors.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I agree about the injectors. Theirs really no need for anything over stock if your just towing. You would be amazed what a good tune can do, it really wakes these trucks up. With stock injectors you will defiantly be able to make 400hp and nearly smoke free, if you decide do do some larger injectors your going to want a turbo to clean them up, heck the stock turbo can't even clean up the stock injectors. Their are guys on here with stock sticks and the MAD Hybrid turbo that push 500rwhp with very little to no smoke. Just do your research and a lot of reading. Right now I would just worry about making sure you get a good set of heads and get em torqued down properly. Once you have a solid foundation then the fun begins.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm going to break with the guys above and say an MTW Stage1 with a billet wheel and 155 stock nozzles would be a great tow setup that was fun when you aren't towing. Add water/meth injection and you should have your 500 hp and with the meth injection never have a high Egt while towing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I'm going to break with the guys above and say an MTW Stage1 with a billet wheel and 155 stock nozzles would be a great tow setup that was fun when you aren't towing. Add water/meth injection and you should have your 500 hp and with the meth injection never have a high Egt while towing.

155 are waste of time. 175/stock and mtw stage 1. is fun setup ask me how i know.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM

155's are definitely not a waste of time.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
155 are waste of time. 175/stock and mtw stage 1. is fun setup ask me how i know.
Not for his goals they aren't. Glad you are enjoying your combo. That doesn't necessarily make it right for everyone. You gave your opinion, don't try to invalidate mine.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM

I also think that either stock injectors or 155's would be great for his goals.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Just noticed the OP isn't terribly far from me either... You're only a couple hours away from me it looks like. If you're ever out towards Utica let me know, I'll take you for a ride so you can see what a stock injectored truck can do.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

How about this...

Stock injectors with tuning and a stage 1 turbo = Big grin, no smoke and tows nice, normal to low EGTs.

155-175s with 30%nozzles, tune and stage 1 or hybrid, = Bigger grin, no smoke unless beating it and tows nice. The next 50-80hp requires twice the price for modest gains. Normal EGTs if tuned correctly. Maybe a stage 2.

You could go larger, but this requires a bit of dialing in (defuelling) for larger tows. 190s with 50% nozzles, tune and hybrid or stage 2-3 = Much bigger grin, no smoke unless beating it and tows fine on a specific tow tune. The turbo choice really jacks up the price. Add fuel system and exhaust as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.